Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Formula auditions, cereal swap?
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: Mar 5 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

I've decided instead of running, or shall I say pumping, myself to death only to end up with an ounce or so, I am going to try formula just for when I let my folks/sister keep Waylon. It will be probably 1-2 times a month, so an avg of 5-10 feedings a month, depending on whether it's just a few hours or overnight.
I do know he seems to get a little gassy and a red ring around his anus when I drink too much milk, so I am thinking a soy formula would be best to try first, unless there is another type that would be more likely to work out better? I'm also not sure how to go about "auditioning" formulas without messing up my supply. I have thought maybe adding it to his cereal for so many feedings to see how it does? Right now I am just manually pumping BM for cereal.
Speaking of cereal, is it 'mandatory' that they eat cereal at all? Waylon doesn't seem to really like it. He will eat it, but he doesn't seem to enjoy nearly as much as the veggies he's tried. Maybe it's the rice cereal he doesn't like... what is the other one that is easily digested... is it oatmeal?? If they don't HAVE to have cereal then I could just drop it, or maybe just sprinkle some in his baby food?
Thanks for the help! I swear, it's like I've never had a baby before! laugh.gif blush.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Bobby is not a fan of cereal either, so we really don't give it to him. I did mix a little in with his baby food just to use up the rest of the box I had, but it's been gone for probably 2 months and he hasn't missed it.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

our ped told us, that if a baby is showing signs of milk allergy they are most likely going to also react to soy..so they told us to use alumentim its pricey..but worth it..if you can keep him off milk and soy completely till he turns one..then chances are when he is one, he wont have an allergic reaction to either one..

gerber baby cereal also have undeclared milk in it..fyi...

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Allie hated rice cereal, but liked the oatmeal cereal - especially if I gave it to her with some fruit. Not mixed in but in the same bowl.

As for giving him formula messing up your milk supply, maybe you can just pump when you miss a feeding - it's usually a lot easier when you're full from skipping one. Otherwise if it's not going to be something that happens a lot it probably wouldn't affect it much - in my own experience anyways. happy.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Really?? Are all brands like that, or just the Gerber brand?

I think I'll buy the Alumentum then and see how that goes. Or I may pump -- I don't know... I feel bad about giving him formula when we're doing so well with the pumping, but I don't want something to happen and him end up running out of BM some where.

Is the oatmeal supposedly easy to digest, too?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by my2monkeyboys on Mar 5 2009, 05:56 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Mar 5 2009, 07:50 PM)
our ped told us, that if a baby is showing signs of milk allergy they are most likely going to also react to soy..so they told us to use alumentim its pricey..but worth it..if you can keep him off milk and soy completely till he turns one..then chances are when he is one, he wont have an allergic reaction to either one..

talking about milk and soy formulas made me think of this.... did you know that even the milk based formulas have some soy in them, even if it doesn't say soy formula? I didn't know that until my friend told me that they have to buy a really expensive brand of formula because her daughter is super sensitive to soy and the regular milk based formulas have some soy in them. I just thought that was weird... I thought only soy formula had soy in it. Sorry random thought I know. tongue.gif

sheesh I used the word soy a lot! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
sc_mom2five
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 22,397

When Laycie wouldn't eat her cereal we added fruit to give it flavor and then she loved it! biggrin.gif

--------------------
~Dana~
Momma to Rebekah, Chelsea, Winston, Emmalee & Laycie
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
A&A'smommy
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif no its not mandatory SOME doctors will tell you that it is because of the iron rolleyes.gif thats BULL don't buy it!!!! I don't even give it to Autumn because she really could care less about it... As far as formula be careful.. What kind of pump do you have that could have something to do with why you can't pump very much and also how long after a feeding are you pumping?

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Mar 5 2009, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Mar 5 2009, 07:50 PM)

talking about milk and soy formulas made me think of this.... did you know that even the milk based formulas have some soy in them, even if it doesn't say soy formula? I didn't know that until my friend told me that they have to buy a really expensive brand of formula because her daughter is super sensitive to soy and the regular milk based formulas have some soy in them. I just thought that was weird... I thought only soy formula had soy in it. Sorry random thought I know. tongue.gif

sheesh I used the word soy a lot! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

they do, but the difference is that they are not whole proteins, so the body doesnt have to break them down as such.

the beech nut brand cereals do not contain milk.

we used to put just a small amount in the formula to add bulk, but its not needed.

but we also didnt do any solids until 6 mnths due to the open gut theory that we mentioned before.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Right now I just have a manual one --- it sucks!!! My hand wears out before I even get 1/2 oz most times.
I am trying to pump either on the side he doesn't feed on at all that feeding (though sometimes he'll take both) or at least 30-45 min after he's eaten and on the side he's eaten off of less.
I am buying me some oatmeal this weekend though and see if that will help get more. The more I think about it the less I like the idea of getting formula for him. Just when I thought I made up my mind... wacko.gif laugh.gif
I am thinking about trying the Medela Swing pump since it's not as expensive but is a good brand. I have had the cheaper electric pump (Evenflo brand, about $40) with Will and it quit suctioning about 3 months into it. I did use it all the time though, so maybe since I'd only use it every-so-often it would last longer?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

An electric pump would be much better. Also, I would start to wonder if there is more to why you aren't getting much. Sounds like maybe a latch problem or something to me. That is usually the first thing a Lactation consultant would look at. He might be eating fine, but if he's not latching properly he's not stimulating the milk ducts enough.

As far as cereal? My girls never liked it and wouldn't eat it. NO food is mandatory for a baby, IMO. Most good doctors will tell you a baby doesn't need more than formula or breastmilk for the 1st year of life. Kylie didn't have any before than and grew just fine. happy.gif

IF he seems hungry all the time, and you are nursing him, I'd really see a LC. He may not be getting the adequate amount due to latch problems.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (my2monkeyboys @ Mar 6 2009, 07:42 AM)
Right now I just have a manual one --- it sucks!!! My hand wears out before I even get 1/2 oz most times.
I am trying to pump either on the side he doesn't feed on at all that feeding (though sometimes he'll take both) or at least 30-45 min after he's eaten and on the side he's eaten off of less.
I am buying me some oatmeal this weekend though and see if that will help get more. The more I think about it the less I like the idea of getting formula for him. Just when I thought I made up my mind... wacko.gif laugh.gif
I am thinking about trying the Medela Swing pump since it's not as expensive but is a good brand. I have had the cheaper electric pump (Evenflo brand, about $40) with Will and it quit suctioning about 3 months into it. I did use it all the time though, so maybe since I'd only use it every-so-often it would last longer?

I LOVE my medela.. THAT is definitly your problem blech OR my SIL has a playtex that you can pump right into the bags and she loves it!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

He's doing fine eating wise, back to every 3 hrs again once I added a small portion of food to his menu. When he nurses I have a strong letdown reflex, and usually have to catch a bit in a rag bc it's so forceful. He's growing very well (has more than doubled his birth weight now! ohmy.gif ) so I think he's doing great feeding. I think I just have a sorry pump! Or maybe it does good but my hand just wears out too quickly pumping it. I am going to give an electric one a go and see how that does.
I've heard many women say that sometimes the pumps just don't do quite as well, depending on the woman, the pump, and how good she is at using it.
I may look at the Playtex one you're talking about, too. I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg on a pump that will really only be used occasionally for the next 8 months or so.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Mar 6 2009, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Colt couldn't tolerate regular formula, but did fine on the soy, so you might ask your pedi about it.

PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0102 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]