Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pretend guns
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

This may be a heated topic, but I'm just wondering if your boys seem to make pretend guns out of everything they find? We do not buy our boys play guns. I don't allow it. Water guns are ok, but they have to look fun, like the tube type, nothing that resembles an actual gun. I know they don't have toy guns at school either, but for some reason Wil picks things up, like his Linkin Logs and pretends they are guns. The shape (handle and pointy part) is exact. And it's not the pretending that bothers me, its the fact that he calls them his "Long Shot". I have NO IDEA where he got that term from. I have asked him and he shrugs his shoulders. My dad, bless his heart, is great at watching the boys, but he takes a very 1950's approach to parenting. You know, the "I played cowboys and indians when I was a kid, and I turned out fine". So I thought maybe my dad used this term "long shot", but I asked him and he said no. My inlaws are completely anti-gun, really have no toys in their home anyway, no TV either, so it can't be that. Anyhow, I'm stumped at where Wil gets this. Is it just boys being boys? Picked it up on the playground?

I don't know what to say when he pretend shoots at his brother. Just having fun or should I stop it before it gets worse??

Thoughts?

ETA: This is not meant against those that use guns or have guns in their homes. I know many of you do, so that is your own choice. It is just something I am against for our family and I'm wondering how parents deal with the issue with their kids, the issue of pretend play shooting and such.

This post has been edited by mysweetpeasWil&Wes on Oct 22 2008, 12:33 PM

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Rae, When I first had caleb, I was so into being correct and doing the right thing...I wouldnt buy him guns, we didnt let him watch things on tv that had anything to do with guns..not even squirt guns.
but he turned everything into guns, french fries, his hands, things that didnt even look like guns.
then we had Jake and he is all boy..if you know what I mean, and everything is a gun again.
he and caleb do pretend to be cops and bad guys but not at the same time..so they are not ever shooting at each other..
we dont let them play that way.

we talk all the time about gun safety, but I dont think they listen and honestly I would worry greatly if there was a gun in our house..we dont intend to get one until we have a safe to put it in.

so, I guess what I am saying is, if you gave your boys dolls, some how at some point they would turn them into guns...
wub.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 22 2008, 03:41 PM)
so, I guess what I am saying is, if you gave your boys dolls, some how at some point they would turn them into guns...
wub.gif

Oh that is FUNNY because it is sooooooo true! laugh.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
PMEmail Poster

CantWait
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Well I'm with you....little boys should not have play guns until they can realize what a real gun can do to someone. Water guns are fine though.

Robbie was raised like that and didn't have a pretend gun until he was at least 8 probably, and everyone that got presents for him when asked what he wanted, I would say whatever, except for a gun....otherwise it will be put away.

When he was allowed to play with them, we had rules, and the biggest rule was, don't point them at any living thing, animals or people. You can point it at furniture, and at walls, but that was it.

I don't think it will get worse Rae, it is a boy thing, and something he's probably getting from other kids, but I think it's a personal preference and whatever you're comfortable with.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
mammag
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

I think it is boys being boys. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Many boys have toys guns and it in no way means they are going to grow up to be a school shooter or something any more than giving a girl a doll is going to lead to her getting pregnant as a teenager.

If you are worried about them coming upon a real gun some day and thinking it is a toy, the NRA has a great program called the Eddie Eagle program geared toward kids in preK to 3rd grade about what to do if they encounter a gun.

My kids actually shoot real guns and know all about gun safety so I'm comfortable knowing they would take it seriously. It would be the kids who have no knowledge on guns and gun safety that I would be more concerned about.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

i think it's just boys being boys. i fought it as hard as i could but inevitably lost to their dad and friends rolleyes.gif. my boys have rules though... they may never aim it at someone's head. pretend or not, it's not allowed.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

We never bought either of our boys guns but they still would pretend to have one. I think it is boys being boys.

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I am convinced boys have an innate knowledge of guns laugh.gif Long before I ever let Colt have toy guns or see guns on TV or even know DH had guns he was making them out of anything you can think of.
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

I seem to remember having toy "guns" made from nearly everything that could possibly pass for one. I was allowed toy guns but my mom was very strict about not pointing even a toy gun at anyone or animals. I did the same with my kids, but we didn't have any toy guns in the house either until they were 7 or 8. It really is a boy thing. It may be worth noting that despite the fact that I'm a pretty good shot, I don't own or have a gun in my house. This is not out of any feelings of fear or to be politically correct. If I had the time to hunt, I probably would; I just never had the time so purchasing a weapon would have been a waste of money.

Neither of my boys have shown any interest whatsoever, as adults, to shoot. They made "guns" out of all sorts of toys as kids too.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
lisar
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Here is my view on this, Lexi and Raygen have pretend guns. But they are not allowed to point them at anyone. They have one that resembles a shot-gun that shoots these little sticky darts, they love that thing. They shoot the bedroom wall to make them stick. But they have to ask to play with it. I do that so that they wont just go and pick a real one. (not that there are any out laying around) and both of my girls have shot real ones. Raygen loves to shoot the paintball gun also cause she can see what it looks like after she shoots it.
PMEmail Poster
BabyOwen427
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Jazz Hands!!

Member No.: 4,095

Owen has toy guns, and Daddy has real guns. Daddy's are always locked up. Owen went to bed with one of his guns last night. We are trying to teach him not to point his guns at people, but that seems fruitless right now. Hopefully one day it'll set in.

--------------------
Beth, proud Army wife to Curtis, supermommy to Owen!

user posted image user posted image user posted image
jacobsmama
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

Jacob has always pretty much had toy guns. We also make sure he knows that you do NOT point them at anyone ever. He has 10 toy guns and still makes everything into a gun and always has since he was old enough to play with stuff like that. So I dont mind, as long as he understands he is never to touch a real one and etc.

Jacob is very good about this kind of thing. Like I told him he is NEVER allowed in teh car without a booster seat. this kid will FREAK out if someone tries to take him somehwere or put him in the car without one..lol

I hope the same rule applies to guns with him..JMO.

wink.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
MoonMama
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 4,927

I'm ok with like water guns that are bright colors and look totally fake. But other then that no! nosmiley.gif nosmiley.gif DH and I agree on this one.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

we are a no gun family. No waterguns, no pretend guns, no nothing. my FIL is a avid hunter and used both guns and bow and arrow, and he wants to teach ben, but for now its a big fat NO WAY! He doesn't play shooting games, but unfortunately, he has found other ways to get his boys will be boys violent tendencies out, He is a ninja turtle, and runs and kicks, and "fights" Although, I insist, that we don't "Kill" bad guys, we just hurt them. rolleyes.gif
PM

Nina J
Posted: Oct 23 2008, 02:58 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

We don't have toy guns, and the girls have occassionaly pretending other toys were guns, but it isn't really a big thing.

I remember when I was a kid my grandmother made me a toy gun out of wood, a peg and a rubber band. So I could shoot people with rubber bands.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Oct 23 2008, 03:09 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I had play guns growing up or hand made type with tree limbs that looked like them and I also use to target shoot real guns but I dont have any interest in them any more and have not for many many years.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 23 2008, 04:32 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

It's not just a boy thing. laugh.gif Ashley doesn't have any toy guns, but I can tell when she plays with the boys at recess. On the days she plays with the girls, she comes home talking about how she jumped rope or played house. When she plays with the boys, she will come home doing Karate and using her finger as a gun. I've talked to her about why I don't like the idea of playing like she has a gun and she said, "but Mom, my finger is fake, not a real gun". I just used this as an opportunity to talk again about what she would do if she saw a gun (whether she thought it was real or fake) and how guns hurt people. But, I didn't forbid her from pretending her finger was a gun... although I really don't like it.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (mammag @ Oct 22 2008, 03:33 PM)
I think it is boys being boys.  I certainly wouldn't worry about it.  Many boys have toys guns and it in no way means they are going to grow up to be a school shooter or something any more than giving a girl a doll is going to lead to her getting pregnant as a teenager. 

If you are worried about them coming upon a real gun some day and thinking it is a toy, the NRA has a great program called the Eddie Eagle program geared toward kids in preK to 3rd grade about what to do if they encounter a gun. 

My kids actually shoot real guns and know all about gun safety so I'm comfortable knowing they would take it seriously.  It would be the kids who have no knowledge on guns and gun safety that I would be more concerned about.

ITA. thumb.gif

Tanner doesn't have any play guns, but he does have army men he plays with. He turns a lot of things into guns, but he also knows the rules at his school. He is allowed to play certain things at home than what he is at school, and he understands that. He is also educated in what real guns actually do and how real ones are dangerous, which I think is far more important. I have also found that supressing the urge that is all too natural in a boy, just makes it way worse.

This post has been edited by Boo&BugsMom on Oct 24 2008, 10:43 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0203 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]