Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> behaviors, 10 month old
boyohboyohboy
  Posted: Jul 13 2008, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

andrew has always been such a sweet shy baby. always smiling at us, and playing coy...
but then in the last few weeks, has developed a bad habit.
he will scream, not cry, just scream if he doesnt get what he wants...
he throws such a fit, and he screams this high pitched terrible scream that makes you think we are ripping his arms off.
a few times i have just set him on the floor when he does this, and walked away. and each time i have done that, he has screamed until he makes himself throw up.

he also has seperation anxiety very badly..its not just if i attempt to leave him with someone else..its if i set him down and walk into the next room without him. he screams bloody murder..

how do you disicpline a 10 month old?

i had such trouble with jake having seperation anxiety, and its taken almost three years for him to out grow it...i hate to think of this lasting three years..

its definetly starting to cause problems with what we want to do as a family with our older kids...
any advice?

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Jul 13 2008, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

Will never really went through that, so I can't help much. But, if I were in your situation I think I would tell him no, we don't scream, and then sit him down and ignore it. Even if he makes himself throw up I think he'll figure out that it won't help and it will lessen.
If you're leaving the room, I'd try to hand him a favorite toy and maybe talk to him as you leave and while you're close by in another room. Of course if you walk much farther away then he couldn't hear you, but as long as he's within earshot maybe hearing your voice will help. Also try playing peek-a-boo with him a lot - that may help ease him into you walking away.
I think once he realizes that your are coming back things will get easier. As for the screaming when he's mad, well, I never dealt with that too well. If Will started it I sat him down and ignored him. After just a few times he realized it was futile. Every child is different though so that may not work with Andrew.
I hope you find something that works soon! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

I think at that age its DISTRACTION, DISTRACTION, DISTRACTION when it comes to discipline. hug.gif

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I agree that distraction is about the only thing we can do...I have attempted to ignore him for short amounts of time, but it only makes it worse...
i hope this is a short phase.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jul 14 2008, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Aiden does that, minus the throwing up. He throws himself down and throws little tantrums. I ignore him and walk away. It may take awhile but giving in only makes things worse. I will distract him with other things and that seems to work for the most part as well. At this age the only thing they can do is cry and throw a fit because they lack the communication skills. I usually will try and get on Aiden's level and say a few words that he may understand and try to communicate best I can with him.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0156 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]