Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Chronic Insomnia
Teesa®©
Posted: Jun 6 2008, 01:39 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

How to deal??? I've been doing this for well over 20 - heck, almost 30 - and I've HAD IT!!!!! growl.gif growl.gif I average out anywhere from 1-3 hours a night. Some weeks I sleep 1-2 hours a night, some weeks I get 3-4 hours a night. Every couple months or so, I get 3-4 hours a week mad.gif

I'm a HUGE anti-drug person and therefore try to avoid when possible. I haven't requested anything from my doctor because so many sleep aids are addictive and I refuse that. I'm also leery on them because I have 2 children at home, a DH who's on shift and I HAVE to be on-the-ball, coherent, able to function, able to deal with/care for 2 children, not to mention be able to wake up in the night if someone needs me.

When I was 23, I was awake for 3 days straight. I complained to my girlfriend, who suggested Nyquil. She said she used it and it worked great for her. I bought some. It kept me awake for A WEEK!!! And that's on TOP of the 3 days I already was awake for! So for 10 DAYS I was wide awake. I was a single mom at the time. I cried all the time because I was so freaking exhausted!!!

Anyone have any suggestions? I know my internal clock is totally #$^#$^ up. I could be dead tired at 7pm - to the point I can't keep my eyes open - go to bed and wake up at 9pm completely refreshed and wide awake for the rest of the night mad.gif On the opposite end, I could be dead tired at 7am - to the point I can't keep my eyes open - go to bed and wake up at 3pm because I'm starving or have to pee, not want to get out of bed and feel like crap. I'm exhausted, tired and cranky.

I'm getting too old for this crap anymore, help!!
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jun 6 2008, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Maybe you should do a cartwheel....myths about flipping a baby when they have their days and nights confused... dunno.gif hug.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jun 6 2008, 04:47 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

Possibly a sleep clinic could help? hug.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jun 24 2008, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I am an anti-drug person too, unless it's needed for pain or infection. Try valerian root. It's a natural supplement that aids in a restful night. I would also go in for a physical, just to rule out any other conditions. Maybe a full blood workup would be helpful too. I just had one done to check my thyroid, cholesterol, hormones...the works.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jun 24 2008, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

What about melatonin? It's natural, not necessarily a sleep aid but I know lots of people (including me) who use it that way. My DH is gone a lot too, I like it b/c it doesn't knock me out or anything and I'm totally clear headed when I have to wake up, be it the middle of the night or just a regular day.

I'm sorry, I've been getting very little sleep for about a week and I'm about to go INSANE, I can't imagine how you feel after so many years of it hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
Teesa®©
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 01:45 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I'd forgotten I'd asked about this blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif

I do have Valerian root, I'd bought it for DH and his headaches. He took it once or twice and whined that it didn't work. I didn't realize it was for sleeping, too happy.gif

I am due for a full checkup, over-due, I think blush.gif . I do know I'm anemic, which I should be taking iron pills for, but I'd rather supplement with other things. I do eat a lot of liver and was eating lots of green veggies, but they give me very painful gas pains now. I used to buy bunches of trees.... ummmm.... brocolli blush.gif , cook them all up at once and just sit and munch on them happy.gif . Now, if I even eat one little piece, the gas pains get so bad it's like a little fox in my belly clawing and chewing to get out sad.gif sad.gif

Thanks!! hug.gif hug.gif I'll try those and see how it goes - I think I'm a little too old to be doing cartwheels... rolling_smile.gif
PM
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 02:24 AM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

hug.gif hug.gif I used to suffer from Chronic Insomnia. I too did not believe in medications, but after talking to my doctor I agreed to try them. My doctor also recommended getting into a sleep routine. I have some information and suggestions, I'll post them later when I get the chance.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Teesa®©
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 03:06 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thanks, hon biggrin.gif

I've tried to get into a sleep routine, but when I've been laying there trying to sleep for over an hour, I figure I might as well just get up and do dishes or something constructive.

When I get so darn tired at 7pm, I try to stick it out till 9 or 10, but by then I end up being wide awake again and can't sleep.
PM

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0079 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]