Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HELP!, What IS this?!?!
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,476

Ok, yesterday I was a bit itchy on my back. I was THINKING it was maybe dry skin or something. So I asked Cyndi to look at it for me. When she said "Holy Crap" I kind of got worried. Here's what she found....

user posted image

Now today it has another small patch, you can see it in the corner here:
user posted image

What the heck could it be?!?

I've not been anywhere near woods or brush, anything burning, any animal that could of be somewhere like that. Nothing.

It's not SUPER itchy. Just a little, like dry skin. But obviously it's a little more then dry skin. Right? Maybe not??

On Saturday I had a bump on my shoulder that looked like a bug bite that itched, but this is on the middle of my back.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
danahas4monkeys
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:05 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 942

It looks just like my psoriasis patches but I'm not a doctor so not sure. I use hydrocortisone cream on my psoriasis I have it on my elbows and eyes. Hope you figure it out soon!

--------------------
Dana
Mommy to Kimberly 14, Jordan 13, Alexis 7, and Andrew 5
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

not sure but I have gotten the same patch on the back of my leg a couple times in the last several years, I always used neosporin and a bandaid for a few days and it woudl go away. I never had it looked at blush.gif

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster

ZandersMama
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

Looks like the patches i get in the winter.....winter itch

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Ok, that makes me feel better. I'll try some antibiotic ointment and see if that helps smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

over the counter hydrocortizon will take that itch right away and the rash too..

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Looks like contact dermatitis, which is just a rash caused by something you touched/came in contact with. Could be something as simple as sitting by a wool blanket, worn cheap jewelry, or something that you are allergic to. I get it all the time. I am highly allergic to cortisone creams and neosporin, so just a warning if you are too. They just make me itch even more. I've done oatmeal or epson salt baths or just let it heal on it's own. GL

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Nov 28 2007, 08:17 AM)
Looks like contact dermatitis, which is just a rash caused by something you touched/came in contact with. Could be something as simple as sitting by a wool blanket, worn cheap jewelry, or something that you are allergic to. I get it all the time. I am highly allergic to cortisone creams and neosporin, so just a warning if you are too. They just make me itch even more. I've done oatmeal or epson salt baths or just let it heal on it's own. GL

The only thing I've found that I'm really really allergic too (found out last Feb). Is Lavendar baby lotion blink.gif I had a full body rash from that. dry.gif And it itched like MAD. This doesn't itch near as bad. But it's still pretty itchy wink.gif

I'm going to try some cortizone or something (I'm going to see what I have at home)

That is the ONLY thing I've EVER found that I'm allergic too.

--------------------
user posted image
jcc64
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Looks alot like poison ivy from the pic. My dd had a 1/4" bizarre little black (yes, black) streak on her leg that looked like someone drew on her with a sharpie pen. Nothing else. Then, a few days later, it was surrounded by a patch very similiar to your picture. When the black streak bubbled up and started to bleed, I took her to the dr. He told me it was poison ivy, and I didn't believe him. She wasn't scratching it, it wasn't itchy, and I never heard of poison ivy bleeding. He assured me that poison ivy can sometimes present with a black streak, sent me home with a steroid creme, and sure enough, that's what it was. A day or so later, she was in fact itching, and it did spread all over the place. Ya never know.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Nov 28 2007, 10:55 AM)
Looks alot like poison ivy from the pic. My dd had a 1/4" bizarre little black (yes, black) streak on her leg that looked like someone drew on her with a sharpie pen. Nothing else. Then, a few days later, it was surrounded by a patch very similiar to your picture. When the black streak bubbled up and started to bleed, I took her to the dr. He told me it was poison ivy, and I didn't believe him. She wasn't scratching it, it wasn't itchy, and I never heard of poison ivy bleeding. He assured me that poison ivy can sometimes present with a black streak, sent me home with a steroid creme, and sure enough, that's what it was. A day or so later, she was in fact itching, and it did spread all over the place. Ya never know.

Aw crap, you're not making me feel good about this tongue.gif

I've had poison ivy many times, and I agree, it looks an awful lot like it. But I've not been around anything that I could get it from. I've racked my brain thinking what I could of been "exposed" to that had poison ivy and came up dry. Especially since it's on my back.

Also not so good, I don't have insurance sleep.gif So no doctor for me.

--------------------
user posted image
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

AH!!!!! I ITCH SO BAD!!!!!!

I have been using cortizone, but I'm telling you it does NOTHING for the itch. And Benadryl (sp?) knocks me on my butt. I mean can't function, can't keep my eyes open. Please pray that it goes away fast bawling.gif

--------------------
user posted image
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,193

Have you had any close contact with people who work in Nursing homes/hospitals schools? Is it starting to show up on your hands and in between your fingers?

If you must itch make sure you wash your hands after!

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I think it's shingles. bawling.gif My doctor said it's very serious, I need to be seen right away. And that's after the receptionist told me they were full until tomorrow, and then I'd still only be able to see the nurse practioner. bawling.gif

I'm calling the free health clinic first. If I can get in there that's where I'm going. I have NO money at all. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
jcc64
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Shingles doesn't look like that, hon. And besides, you'd be much, much sicker with horrible, debilitating muscle pain, fever, and unremitting fatigue.
I highly doubt a dr's visit is necessary. We went to the dr with my dd's rash- he gave her a prescription steroid creme, but it still spread, it still itched, and stayed around as long as every other case of poison ivy we've ever dealt with w/o a dr's visit. I'd avoid the dr if I were you- save yourself some cash, unless you get a fever or it spreads to your face. Good luck.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

momtoMegan&Alyxandria
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,452

Actually here is a pic I found. In person they look almost identical. She should be at the Drs now, so I will keep everyone posted once she calls me.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Member No.: 189

To me it looks like shingles. I only know this because Spencer has had them twice. I would say if they spread even more got to see your doctor ASAP! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
momtoMegan&Alyxandria
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 02:01 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,452

QUOTE (CJ'SMOM2002 @ Nov 29 2007, 03:10 PM)
To me it looks like shingles. I only know this because Spencer has had them twice. I would say if they spread even more got to see your doctor ASAP! hug.gif hug.gif

Ok Casey called me and She has Shingles. They gave her a script for meds and told her to stay away from any pregnant women. She should be fine, but was told if it gets worse to go back to the Dr.

Apparently alot of bad things can happen if Shingles go untreated, which is why her Dr. wanted her there NOW!!

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Wow, I stand corrected. Sorry about that! Dh had shingles, really badly- he was sick for over a month- but it looked nothing like that. His looked like chickenpox, and he said the pain was more muscular- the itching was not nearly so pronounced. I hope she doesn't get it as badly as he did.

--------------------
Jeanne

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Btw, what kind of meds did she get for shingles- I thought it was a virus?? Wonder why my dh didn't get any meds?

--------------------
Jeanne

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Oh no!!! Get well vibes to Casey! grouphug.gif

bump.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

hug.gif hug.gif Hope you feel better quickly!!!
PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Member No.: 189

hug.gif hug.gif I'm sorry to hear this! I know when Spencer had it they gave him an Anti-Viral medication through his IV. I hope it doesn't spread too bad! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MoonMama
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 4,927

Oh gosh honey!!!! hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif ~~~~feel better~~~~
PM
grapfruit
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thanks for the positive thoughts and stuff guys love2.gif

They gave me Acyclovir which is an anti-viral (4 pills 5x a day) plus some stuff I left at home that helps w/the pain/itching I think (at bedtime). It is already starting to hurt by my arm. So far just like a bad sunburn. But she told me to expect it to get worse. sleep.gif

The dr said that if left untreated it could get really bad and cause permenant severe pain where the rash is. The reason being is b/c shingles, which is of course the chicken pox virus, lies dormant in the nerve roots. For whatever reason it "wakes up" and travels up the root to the skin. This is why you can pretty much feel where the rash is going to break out. It feels tingly there. Of course left untreated, the virus can damage the nerves.

She said she's definatly seen worse, but it's not a "mild" case. Also something I found odd. She said it typically only shows up in elderly people or immuno suppressed people. But lately she's seen it crop up in a lot of younger people too. The last case she had was w/a 25 year old. Strange huh?

Whatever that stuff is I take at bed makes you SUPER drowsy. Even though I took it 12 hours ago, I'm SO tired right now. sad.gif I may have to take a nap at my desk. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
luvbug00
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

aww i hope you feel better hon!!!! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0182 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]