Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Meditation - anyone do it?
amynicole21
  Posted: Oct 9 2007, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

I'd like to learn some meditation techniques, but don't know where to start. There are so many different types wacko.gif I downloaded a podcast, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Did anyone use one of the bazillion "learn to meditate" cd's available? Of is there a book that worked for you?

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 9 2007, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Nope. I did meditation through biofeedback at our local hospital. I did that for migraines because meds weren't working. It worked awesome, but unfortunately with 2 kids around I haven't found a way to relax enough to actually meditate. wacko.gif

Now I run or go driving with the radio really loud. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 9 2007, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

DH meditates every morning. No, he didn't learn it from a CD, but his church. It's a personal thing, so it's not like I can really tell you "how" he does it. But from watching, he usually sets his alarm for like 4am, stays in bed, puts in ear plugs sometimes and then....................I don't know what happens from there. Sometimes he falls asleep, others not. He can do it for about an hour. Sometimes he will go downstairs, light a candle in the living room and meditate laying down on the couch. Again, I don't know what happens after he closes his eyes. snooze.gif

I believe, and I'm not positive, that just the state of relaxing, going deep into your own thoughts without distraction, is what it's all about. It's probably different for every person, but DH has told me before that it really doesn't make a difference whether he falls asleep or not, he is still meditating according to his church. It's a form of soul searching (to describe it in the best way I know how). Putting yourself on another plane of some kind. (Please no one bash me for that with anything religious, it's just how he describes it). I know DH often focuses on an issue he may be having and afterward, he always comes out feeling better about the issue. He is always much more positive. smile.gif

Hope that helps some. I can never relax enough to get into it, but I would really like to learn how.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Oct 9 2007, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I don't know if I do it "correctly", I guess it depends on which definition of meditation you use. I don't do it often, with the kids, phone, etc it's hard but I do find myself able from time to time to tune out all the thoughts and just feel "centered"....when I can achieve that I try to stay in that frame of mind for as long as I can and usually come out feeling refreshed and relaxed. For me, my version of meditating is just to clear my head to the point that my mind is truly blank.

PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Oct 9 2007, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

What Monica said. wink.gif There are so many different forms of meditation and each person is so different in where their meditations lead them.

I would just start by closing my eyes and blocking out all noise and distraction. Go to your 'quiet place' and clear your head. A friend of mine recently shared this with me:
When I meditate I invision a clear glass vase, filled with pieces of paper and on each of those is a "label" that I have attached to myself - mother, wife, friend, teacher, sister, daughter etc. I imagine each of those labels being removed with the idea that once those are gone, all that is left is just me - my spirit and soul. Then I just focus on that - the feeling of just being a spirit and a soul. It is hard to do, but I feel completely revitalized and completely joyous after I achieve that feeling - I literally feel like I am walking on air and feel so physically light - it is hard to explain!

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Oct 10 2007, 06:33 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Wow, I like Aimee's friend's ritual. To me, meditation is about clearing your mind as completely as possible- pushing all earthly worries and concerns into the far recesses of your mind and just focussing on breathing and bodily sensations. That concentration on breathing is what helps me to push the invasive thoughts aside. Doing yoga is alot like meditating for me, b/c I'm concentrating solely on physical sensations and breathing.
I've done a decent amount of meditating, though I don't do it regularly enough. I taught myself how in an effort to get control of my anxiety issues, and it is quite helpful for that (though not in acute situations). I read a book, tried hypnotherapy a few times, and just sort of wing it. The times it works, it is sublime. Better than drugs in many ways.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: Oct 10 2007, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

I was introduced to meditation at a young age (preteen), and most recently took a Zen meditation class. Some people, in addition to focusing on breathing, say a mantra---a sound or a word or a phrase---repeatedly. It clears the mind. I prefer silent meditation. You'll notice intrusive thoughts coming in constantly. What you're going to make for dinner. What you need to buy for soccer. You still need to call the teacher about that incident. And fill that prescription. As you become aware of these thoughts, you let them glide by without holding onto them or pursuing them. Acknowledge that the thought came in, and let it go by. Back to emptiness. After 30 minutes, you might be surprised how uplifted and relaxed you feel. In rare cases, people experience the emptying out as unsettling or disturbing or lonely. I often feel like my senses are heightened after meditating. Reds are redder, yellows are yellower, tastes and smells are stronger.

I also like Aimee's friend's ritual. I'm going to try that next time!

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0123 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]