Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> meeting for Jacob..., long sorry
kimberley
Posted: Dec 10 2003, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

we met with the "team" today about Jacob's educational progress. his dad insisted on coming with me but i wish he didn't. he had no clue what he was talking about since he hardly ever spends any time with Jacob and when he does, he is never doing homework with him. he rambled on about extra work and after school programs when his teacher and i are working everyday and after school with him diligently and making progress and that type of thing would just overwhelm Jacob. he just looked like an idiot.

anyways, they decided to keep him on an individual education plan... where they grade him according to his capabilities not his grade level which i agree with. he is really beginning to show some progress so i wouldn't want him to be overwhelmed with too much just when he is starting to gain some confidence. i brought up the dyslexia and they said they will do formal testing in a few months. i also brought up the possibility of ADD and they requested i take him to his ped about it, but the things i described were quite common for a 7yo. i addressed the psychologist about his social difficulties at school. it baffles me. jacob is the friendliest kid on earth (to the point were i have people coming up to me on almost a daily basis telling me how sweet and charming he is). i take him to the park and he makes 5 friends in 10 minutes, but for some reason he doesn't fit in with the kids in his class. i am thinking the school seems to be very cliquey. the parents all know each other, the kids have known each other since pre-school and jacob is at a disadvantage only being there for the past year. also, most of the kids in his class are bigger than him and i get the feeling they don't want the "little kid" playing with them at recess. she is going to try to work with him on that.

they have evaluated him to be at a beginning grade 1 level when he should be at a grade 2 level. hopefully his teacher and i will keep making progress and that these tests can give us some answers either way. thanks for listening. you're an angel if you made it this far.

will keep you updated.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: Dec 10 2003, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

Thanks for the update! You're right, too bad dad was there to confuse things. With your commitment and the school's commitment, I would be optimistic that he'll catch up and some of the behavioral stuff will clear up too. I hate cliquey stuff. What a bummer to have to deal with that!

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
jem0622
Posted: Dec 10 2003, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

It all sounds very promising. I like how they are going to base their assessments of his work. I do have to say though...if you could ever afford some place like a learning center to get him extra tutoring on the side it is so worth it. I have a friend who is a mother of 4 (5th is on the way) and her eldest DD has been having trouble. She improved tremendously with help from a tutoring/learning center. They had to borrow the money from family, but it was worth every penny. Every child learns differently and sometimes it is the way the curriculum is presented. Some kids do great in Montessori and stink in regular schools. Just some food for thought. Great news!

Julie

--------------------
Julie with Nathan (11) Gabe (8) and id twins Hannah and Olivia (6)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

CantWait
Posted: Dec 10 2003, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

thanks for the update. That's great that you're so involved and that the school is working so hard to help out. Keep us updated when you can.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
jen
Posted: Dec 11 2003, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 263

It sounds promising and with your concern and deep understanding of him, he can't lose with his mom wub.gif having so much of his best interest at heart. AS for him not making friends with his classmates, that will happen, kids are judgemental and cruel sometimes and I hope it doesn't affect him to much, it sounds like he is a very loveable social guy and that is bound to rub off on all of them one by one sooner or later! wavey.gif

--------------------
JENNY
Happily Married to Josh, the LOVE of my LIFE!
Mommy to Madelyn Rae April 15, 2004
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Dec 11 2003, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

thanks for the update, sounds like it all going in the right direction. If you can just keep his dad out of it all should be good and he can catch up! Keep upi the good work, its nice to see a parent concerned and actullay doing something to help there child your a great mom!

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 11 2003, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

It sounds like you and the teacher are making a lot of progress. Let us know how the testing goes, that should really give you some answers and determine the next steps. I am sorry the other kids at school are being so cruel... but take it from an army brat that moved every couple of years, he'll find his own group of friends. He sounds like a wonderful young man!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
A&A'smommy
Posted: Dec 11 2003, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

im glad you are seeing some progress. that sucks abouit his dad he should have just kept his mouth shut!!! anyways i hope things keep looking up!! ((((HUGS)))

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0093 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]