Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> School Bus?
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Well, Rod and I have decided on a school... FINALLY. After visiting all the schools in the area and MUCH discussion, we've settled on a school for Ashley. She will be going to a private school. Phew, I am so glad that is over.

Now, I am having another issue.... whether or not to let her ride the school bus. The school does provide bus transportation and the only kids on the bus will be kindergartners. Ashley has been looking forward to riding a bus to school as long as I can remember. But, I don't like the idea of it. I don't like the fact that there are all those kids on the bus and only one bus driver. The bus driver is suppose to keep the kids under control and watch the road? I have a hard time listening to Ashley chatter the entire time and paying attention to the road myself (then multiply that times 20, or however many kids are on the bus). And, whenever you hear of problems at school, it's usually on the bus. The other thing is, I don't understand why school buses don't have seat belts. So, I am wanting to drive her to school. Am I being paranoid and over-protective again? After all, I did ride a bus to school.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lisar
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,760

I rode a bus to school also from kindergarten and up. However I had the option to let Lexi ride this bus this year and well she doesnt. My BIL takes her and his son to school every morning and I pick them up. I choose no. I just didnt like the idea. Maybe next year. However Lexi would have been on the bus with k-5th graders it wouldnt have just been kindergarden. But thats just me. Choose what you think is right for Ashley.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

My opinion is a bit jaded just for the fact that my kids will have no choice but to ride the school bus. We live way too far from the school, in the other direction from our jobs, to not use the school bus. That being said I started riding a school bus in 6th grade all the way through my senior year. Those bus drivers surprise you, they are used to all those kids and being the only one in charge and they are good at it. At least my driver was. She was an old lady, but she could scare the dickens out of you. happy.gif

I personally say let her try it out for a bit and see how it goes. Let her discover what it's like to ride a bus, even for a bit, before you take that experience away from her. I think it's an experience all kids should get to have at least once. happy.gif They soon find out, as they get older, it's not all what it's cracked up to be. tongue.gif

As far as the seat belts, there are lots of reasons why they don't have them on school buses. Some valid and some not. The risks seem to outweigh the positives at this point from all the testimony I've heard in the legislative arena here. One reason they don't is it would be a logistical nightmare. IF kids were forced to wear seat belts, the school would then be responsible if kids did not put them on right or the driver thought it was on when it wasn't. Therefore, the driver would have to stop each and every time they put a kid on the bus, make sure the seat belt is properly in place and then there's the notion that kids could take them off when the driver doesn't know. A huge liability issue for the school in general. A second reason is all kids are different sizes so seat belts would hit each child in a different area, which if the bus was to get in a wreck there could be serious internal injuries to some and not others. Some would need boosters, etc, etc, etc. Obviously there are LOTS of positives as well for the safety of our children, but I think a lot of it comes down to logistics, liability, and money, unfortunately.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

i too have a son who is about to start kindergarden in the fall. I went to an open house and talked to the bus drivers myself. I was a bus riding kid, and let me tell you the language, and the abuse that the older kids put on the younger ones, well thats not something I am ready for my son to see . so I will also be driving him to school.
I was also upset about the seat belts. I felt that the excuses were lame myself. She told me that its a fear the kids will hit each other with them. and also said who was going to make sure the kids had their seat belts on. well frankly they come up with the moneys for everything else, what would be wrong with having a second adult on a bus to make sure there was order and that the seat belts were on. I fully intend to start to lobby for this.

I also wonder what it is exactly my taxes are paying for when we now have to supply half the school with supplies.

I am not sure how I would feel if it was just a bus full of kindergarden kids. If I would feel any safer with my son on the bus.

I guess like everything its a parents personal decision regarding their own kids. I for one dont see myself letting my son ride the bus.
I am to concerned about the way the bus drivers drive, how people do not always stop for kids that have to cross the road, and to me their seem to be to many accidents.

good luck on your decision.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jcc64
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Our school buses do have seat belts on them- whether or not the kids are compelled to wear them probably depends upon the age of the kids and/or the bus driver's disposition.
My kids have ridden the bus since day 1 of kindergarten. The only complaints my kids have are usually centered on the rudeness/cantankerousness of the driver(s), and I usually take those with a grain of salt. I don't doubt that the drivers can sometimes be nasty, but I'm sure the disrespect goes both ways, if it's anything like it was when I went to school.
Dee Dee, I'd say that with all the kids being kindergarteners, she'll probably be just fine. The little kids are usually not the ones causing problems on the bus, and they're generally pretty acquiescent. I think if she wants to do it, you should let her. Alot of valuable socializing goes on in the bus- and knowing Ashley, she'd want to be right in the middle of it.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

Call me over-protective too but I wouldn't choose the bus either. We don't have the option here, their school does not have a bus system, but at their school in Brussels, we did have the choice of them taking a bus and I refused. Maybe when they're older but I'm just too nervous now.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

I felt the same thing about Jenna going on the bus and one big reason is because she is only 4. But she loves it and the driver is AWESOME!!!! The school bus jenna rides in has seat belts. I know its a scarey situation all around because of trhe stroies you hear about kids getting let off on wrong stops and being left on teh bus etc etc. All you can do is talk to the school about it and ask as many questions as you need. And if you feel brave enough just do a trial period and see how it goes.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
redchief
Posted: Apr 4 2007, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

A big thumb.gif to the school bus from me. We had a long ride during all of my schooling. I went to school in a different town at all times. I never remember an issue with our safety.

From the fire chief side of things I have to tell you, I've been involved in three school bus vs. other vehicle incidents. The buses and their passengers always win.

Our buses all have seat belts and wearing them is compulsory.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
mckayleesmom
Posted: Apr 5 2007, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

rolling_smile.gif I have the same issues Dee Dee.....Coming from someone that has a fear of my children riding in cars that Im not in or driving...its really scary for me to think about. Mckaylee also has been counting down the days till she gets to ride the school bus.......

I have decided to compromise.....I will probably let her ride a couple days a week and drive her the rest.......I will just have to ease into it.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Yes, you are, but it's ok. laugh.gif

I have the advantage that I know my son's bus driver from my childhood...she's the mom of a girl I trailer camped with for a long time during past summers. happy.gif

All the kids on my son's bus are pre-k, k and 1st graders. There are 3 students from the grade 6, and they are bus monitors.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0201 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]