Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Medicine called Prednisone, ??????
lisar
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 06:18 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,760

Okay they gave me this med Monday night to take along with the antibiotics and the ear drops. However since I started taking it I have not been able to sleep at all. I was curious to know if anyone else has taken it and if it done the same thing to them. I did NOT take my dose today in hopes that I can sleep tonight. I am working on 3 hours of sleep. Thats all the sleep I got lastnight and I really need some good sleep. Thanks for letting me vent also.
PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 06:20 AM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

I've never taken it that medication. But if you are having problems with it call your doctor or the pharmacist!

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
lesliesmom
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

Prednisone is a corticosteriod. One of the side effects is difficulty sleeping or staying asleep. Here is a link to the information I found.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...er/a601102.html

Hope that helps.

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL

MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

Prednisone can do that, it can also make you either ravenously hungry or not want to eat at all.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
lisar
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

QUOTE (lesliesmom @ Mar 29 2007, 10:15 AM)
Prednisone is a corticosteriod. One of the side effects is difficulty sleeping or staying asleep. Here is a link to the information I found.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...er/a601102.html

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the info. I didnt even think to look it up online. I just figured I would ask everyone. I didnt take it today so we will see how I sleep tonight.
PMEmail Poster
Jamison'smama
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

My kids have both had it when they've had a serious asthmatic episode. It makes them both WIRED and a little loopy/silly--also very thirsty.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
jacobsmama
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

QUOTE (Jamison'smama @ Mar 29 2007, 12:26 PM)
My kids have both had it when they've had a serious asthmatic episode. It makes them both WIRED and a little loopy/silly--also very thirsty.

Jacob takes this at least once a month when he gets really bad asthmatic croupe. It is a steriod and it does make you hungry and can interrupt sleep the other thing I wanted to tell you was that your not suppose to skip ANY doses, because it is a steriod and you should wean off it. So I would ask your Dr about it before you just skip a dose all together. HTH wink.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Bamamom
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

You MUST wean off of it - not just stop it completely. It can make you suicidal among other things.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

Daniel has taken prednisone for asthma. He would be very wired, aggressive, and also be shouting angry words in his sleep.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

yup, Jason wa son that med for a cough and he didn't sleepf or the entire 5 days he was on it

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

I have taken it for bacterial infections and for an inflammatory. I have never heard about the suicidal stuff, Bamamom, are you sure you aren't thinking of something like Effexor or something? I've never had to be weaned off of it and I've been prescribed it a number of times. Sad thing is, I get sick from it so I can't take it. It makes me really really sick, almost worse than before I start taking it. It also gives me severe stomach pains so they don't give it to me anymore.

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Mar 29 2007, 11:00 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
lisar
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

QUOTE (Bamamom @ Mar 29 2007, 12:42 PM)
You MUST wean off of it - not just stop it completely. It can make you suicidal among other things.

I only took it for 3 days so I should be fine. They only prescribed it to me for 6 days and no one ever said anything about that. Thanks though.
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

As you can tell by what has already been said, prednisone can have some pretty nasty side effects. One of the the benefits of steroids are their anti-inflammatory properties. I'd definitely talk over your side effects with your doctor. There are other anti-inflammatory meds that aren't as weird on the body.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 2 2007, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

i've taken prednisone plenty of times for asthma and yes, you're supposed to taper off but if you've only been on it three days i don't think that's a problem...worst comes to worst, just take half a dose for a couple days and see how that goes.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster

Bamamom
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

I haven't ever read the research on it but I was on it a week and got VERY depressed. I also know a few other people who have had similar side effects. So I guess its more hear-say that scientific but I'd be careful with it.

If it tells you how bad it was - I've had it put on my charts that I will only take prednisone if it is the ONLY thing that will save my life. Otherwise just let me suffer. It was awful.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0116 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]