Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> now that I decided..., what do i do?
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 05:37 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

ALright, I have 5 weeks to get this kid on formula. (give or take) I'm still not happy about it, I'm actually really sad about it, but I'm gonna just have to switch and get it over with. I have convinced myself that it is the best thing for everyone. bawling.gif i don't have to like it tho. dry.gif

My ultimate goal is go get her onto room temp formula. This morning just as an experiment I gave her 4 ounces of soy formula luke-warm, and she took it just fine, which really suprised DH and I. We were having to mix 2 oz formula with 4 oz BM to get her to take the stuff. rolleyes.gif

So, I don't really want to quit nursing all together, like this very moment KWIM? so do I drop a feeding, and bottle her, then pump? Or not pump? I have been racking my brain all night last night and this morning trying to figure out the best way to go about this, while still dragging it out for a few more weeks. I want her to get as much BM as possible for as long as possible.
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

I would drop one feeding a day, replacing it with the bottle. I'd do that every 4-5 days, eventually phasing it out. Depending on how many times a day she eats that should stretch it out for you pretty well. I wouldn't pump during those times though bc that will keep your production up, which is ok until you give her the bottle totally. But if you see your supply dwindling faster than she is weaning, you may want to pump a little to keep up with her. I just wouldn't pump unless you need to though, as it will make it harder on you I think. It's supposed to make as much as you use, so hopefully it'll even itself out without too much intervention on your half, KWIM?
Anyway, this is JMHO! tongue.gif Hope it all goes smoothly for you!!! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I have no clue as I've never done it. Have you checked out Kellymom? That's usually where I go if someone asks me for tips on weaning, so I'd check there if you haven't.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Oct 23 2006, 08:54 AM)
I have no clue as I've never done it. Have you checked out Kellymom? That's usually where I go if someone asks me for tips on weaning, so I'd check there if you haven't.

I haven't had a chance yet. I just decided before bed time last night. I think I will look into it deeper at nap time. I hope they have some advice for me.
PM
Nathansmom
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 2,405

When I weaned Nathan at 12 months, onto milk, but still, I just replaced one feeding a day with a cup of milk, and I dropped a feeding every week or so, but we did it really, really slowly, it took me 2 months to wean him completely. I would just replace a feeding every 5 days or so to do it in 5 weeks, depending on how often she nurses.

Since we went so slow, I didn't pump at all, and I never had any pain from engorgement, my body just adjusted.

Good Luck!!

--------------------
Sheila, Mom to Nathan and Ryan

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I'm thinking that is what I am going to try. droping the first feeding of the morning, and working my way through the day and saving the night time feedings for last. Nursing at night is SOOO easy! If it takes me longer than 5 weeks that would be fine with me, I don't want to quit nursing anyhow! laugh.gif thumb.gif
PM
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,459

Ok, I'm no expert in this department but wouldn't dropping an evening feeding first be best, since that is when your supply is supposedly lower? I've always heard you have the most milk in the morning...I'd just think dropping a morning feeding would make you more engorged.??

But I could be way off.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 23 2006, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Our Lil' Family @ Oct 23 2006, 02:06 PM)
Ok, I'm no expert in this department but wouldn't dropping an evening feeding first be best, since that is when your supply is supposedly lower? I've always heard you have the most milk in the morning...I'd just think dropping a morning feeding would make you more engorged.??

But I could be way off.

I don't know, but she already gets a bottle in the evening as part of her bedtime routine. I work nights, and DH had to be able to get her to bed, so she started getting a bedtime bottle pretty much from day one.
The more I think about it, I think I should skip everyother feeding, going 18 hours or so between breastfeedings has got to be a bad idea...
PM
Nathansmom
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 2,405

I started with dropping morning feedings, and I never got engorged...

--------------------
Sheila, Mom to Nathan and Ryan

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

So far it has been going good. No engorgement. No worries. thumb.gif
PM
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

I agree to just drop a feeding then wait till your body adjusts (like a week or so) then drop another feeding......and so on. If you do get engorged though, get some cabbage leaves to put on your boobs to help dry up some of the milk.

Can I ask why soy milk to start her on? I'm just curious.

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I don't have any advice...I started Wil on formula at 8.5 months and I can't remember how I did it...my brain is a bit fried right now, so I can't think. But I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK! You did a great 6 months and you'll do great from this point on too. hug.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (MyLuvBugs @ Oct 24 2006, 05:30 PM)
I agree to just drop a feeding then wait till your body adjusts (like a week or so) then drop another feeding......and so on. If you do get engorged though, get some cabbage leaves to put on your boobs to help dry up some of the milk.

Can I ask why soy milk to start her on? I'm just curious.

Because she was so Cholic-y, I quit eating milk products. I tried her on regular formula, and also when i eat dairy she gets SOOO gassy, and spits up way more, and her spit up is so mucus-y.
PM
My2Beauties
Posted: Oct 27 2006, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

Here is what I did. The first day I started weaning, every 4 feedings was a bottle of formula (which was really only one bottle a day actually). After 3-4 days, I gave her a bottle every 3 feedings, 3-4 more days, it was every 2 feedings, then every other, then straight bottle. You get the point! But I found it much easier to go back and forth instead of dropping one feeding in the morning, then the next feeding so I was going 2 feedings without it from the get-go, my boobs were hurting too much so I had to do it that way.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0209 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]