Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Doctors and BF
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

I had to tell you all this...sorry it's a bit long. I was at the dentist the other day for a consultation on some reconstructive dentistry type stuff. I need a new bridge and I want to do a whitening. Anyhow, I ask the dentist if it's okay to BF while I do the surgery and he says he's not sure. And then asks "how old is your baby"...I say three months. He says in this really condescending tone "well you don't plan to BF much longer, do you?" ohmy.gif

Same thing happened at the OB yesterday. I had my annual. He asks if I'm BF and I say yes, and then he asks "how long do you think you will go?" and I say I would like to get to a year. And he seemed a bit shocked. He didn't say anything after that.

I don't get it! Shouldn't these people support BF?

Oh, here's another one...DH's aunt was visiting a couple weeks ago and she's a retired pediatrician from England. I told her that I'm not that comfortable NIP. And she says "yeah, some people seem to do it in public just to prove a point". I had no idea what she meant by that. So I straight out asked her "does it bother YOU when people NIP" and she said "sometimes". I was shocked that a pediatrician would feel that way. I didn't nurse infront of her after that!!

Anyway, I have so far found a new dentist. I hate the guy's attitude. And I found out from the kellymom site that the surgery and whitening are fine while BF. So there! smile.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

I guess there are ignorant people in all professions wink.gif

I had a similar situation when I went to the dermatologist and had a mole removed. I mentioned that I was nursing and just wanted to make sure the numbing agent was ok for that. He asked how old the baby was and I said 16 months - I got this look blink.gif Then he said it should be fine. I never figured out if he REALLY knew if it was ok, if he figured that a kid that old could handle it, or if he was just so freaked out that he said the first thing that popped into his head rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Yep, get that all the time. I just chalk it up to they must not have updated their education since graduating. Scary to think IMO.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Wow. Some people. She's only 3 months for crying out loud.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

It is so strange that people aren't more supportive. I'm not really sure where our Ped stands on the subject, but I have a feeling i am going to find out at our next appt in a few weeks. rolleyes.gif
PM
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

WOW! ohmy.gif THat's really strange about your DH's aunt and even your OB. blink.gif You'd think that the two of them would be all in favor of nursing for at least 1 year. unsure.gif I can understand the dentist....they don't really do much with babies and nursing moms, but the other two...that's kinda what they do ya know? huh.gif Very strange!

Our Ped here is TOTALLY in favor of BFing as long as Lexi and I are both into it. KWIM? But she said that if one of us doesn't seem to want to do it any more, then it's probably time to start thinking about quitting, and I agree. But that's just me. smile.gif It's not much fun if one of us isn't really into it. smile.gif

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
BabyOwen427
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Jazz Hands!!

Member No.: 4,095

thumb.gif Well, good for you for loosing an ignorant dentist. Even though he doesn't do much work with babies he should have at least touched on the subject of bf sometime during his education.
Keep bf!! hug.gif

--------------------
Beth, proud Army wife to Curtis, supermommy to Owen!

user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
holley79
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

sleep.gif Well that's not any fun when people are not supportive.

ohmy.gif I am so shocked that DH's aunt feels that way. NIP is very common in England and European countries.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0143 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]