Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Torture
amynicole21
  Posted: Sep 26 2006, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

I can't take it anymore. I have been battling itchy, red, flaky nips for months and it is not getting any better. I use lanolin at least twice a day, I try to let them air dry after nursing... I just don't know what to do anymore. The itching is terrible sometimes - especially when I'm at work and can't do anything about it blink.gif

I don't think it's thrush, though I don't know anything about the symptoms of thrush other than baby might have white spots in her mouth and she doesn't have any.

Anyone have a suggestion for me?? sad.gif bawling.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Sep 26 2006, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Member No.: 189

hug.gif hug.gif I had nipple thrush twice while breastfeeding Claudia. The symptoms you are describing are exactly what I went through! I would go and see your doctor or if it's really bad go to the ER! I think I was prescribed something similar to what you what get if you had a yeast infection. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 04:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

You can still have thrush even if your daughter doesn't. Call your Dr or Ped and as for difflucan. Also, there is extensive discussion about thrush on the BF boards between Karen and I. Lots of good info there!
PM

Jamison'smama
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

Sounds like it could certainly be thrush. Mine itched like crazy and most of the time Jama didn't have any --or any signs at least. My doctor had me put Lotramin Cream (Athlete's foot cream) on them twice a day--safe for baby. I even had to put it on her mouth per the pediatrician. Sounds crazy but it is all a fungus--it's over the counter. I also use it on any yeast diaper rashes so I always have it handy.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Yep, definitely sounds like thrush to me hun. sad.gif You or Nora take any antibiotics lately? Has she had any abnormal bum rashes lately? She doesn't have to have any signs of sores in her mouth, both my girls never had them in their mouth when we got thrush.

Let me know answers to above questions and we can go from there on treatment. Obviously you can research past topics for treatments, but I'm more than happy to list some here as well.

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Sep 27 2006, 09:26 AM)
Yep, definitely sounds like thrush to me hun. sad.gif You or Nora take any antibiotics lately? Has she had any abnormal bum rashes lately? She doesn't have to have any signs of sores in her mouth, both my girls never had them in their mouth when we got thrush.

Let me know answers to above questions and we can go from there on treatment. Obviously you can research past topics for treatments, but I'm more than happy to list some here as well.

hug.gif hug.gif

No antibiotics, no rashes. I've never had a yeast infection in my life. dunno.gif

I do have some lotrimin at home though. Should I start using that? I'm off to research kellymom now. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

You can. I've never heard of being able to use it in baby's mouth though and was always told to wipe it off nips before baby nurses. So not sure about that.

Could it be some sort of eczema maybe? That was actually my first thought but the symptoms you are having are textbook thrush. sad.gif

Let me know if you need any thoughts on treatment. It seems very odd that you've never dealt w/thrush before (after nursing 2) and no antibiotics or rashes........I really want to lean toward some sort of eczema. Have you changed detergents, lotions, soaps, etc?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Nora did go through a biting phase a few months back and I had deep gashes for a while. That's when the itching started. No new lotions, soaps or detergents. Strange. wacko.gif

--------------------
user posted image

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Sep 27 2006, 09:25 AM)
Nora did go through a biting phase a few months back and I had deep gashes for a while. That's when the itching started. No new lotions, soaps or detergents. Strange. wacko.gif

That's how I got my thrush back after it had finally gone away - Andrew bit me and then it all came back. wacko.gif Sorry you're dealing with this, itchy nips are the biggest pain! hug.gif

One trick that really helped relieve it for me (I learned this from Karen wink.gif) was to dip them in a half vinegar half water mix for like 20 seconds each, after every time you nurse and whenever it's driving you crazy. wacko.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 27 2006, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Ooh yeah cracks not healed quickly can bring about yeast. RATS!!!!

Well you need to at least do the following IMO to get rid of it:

1. Use vinegar in the wash and on nips (after each feeding)
2. No anti-bacterial soaps
3. Wash bras and towels daily
4. Use paper towels to dry hands
5. Sterilize bottles, toys, etc- you can spray toys that can't be washed with a vinegar/water mixture.
6. Start taking probiotics - both of you and stay on them for at least 2 weeks after thrush has gone.
7. Use the clotrimizole (APNO) on your nips and on any diaper rashes she gets

You can do many different treatments:

1. Gentian Violet on nips and in Nora's mouth - lots of purple people eater going on here.

2. Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)

3. Diflucan (400 mg first dose, at least 100 mg 2x daily for at least a week, preferably 10 days) No other dose will work, trust me. wink.gif

IMO you've been dealing with this for awhile.....many don't like to recommend this until after all other treatments are explored, but I say go for the diflucan if you can get your OB/GYN to prescribe it. If she/he won't have a LC call them. This will be fastest, painless way to get rid of it. hug.gif KMP

Some links below:

Thrush Treatments (GV, APNO and GSE)

Diflucan

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
holley79
Posted: Sep 28 2006, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

hug.gif So sorry you are going through that. *knock on wood* we haven't had to deal with that yet. I hope it heals soon. hug.gif

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0275 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]