Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> supply ?
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

How do you know for sure that you are producing enough milk?

Ally has been crabby and not sleeping well for the past few days, and last night when I pumped I only got about 1 1/2 oz combined from both sides.(2 hours after her last feeding) she is still making wet diapers and all that, but usually I am able to pump about 3 oz from each side. this morning I pumped and got about 1 1/2 oz combined again.
I ate some oatmeal this morning, and will eat oatmeal this weekend, and will try to drink more water. Any other suggestions?

When I was exclusively pumping my breasts quit producing when The Boy was about 4 months old. Ally is now 3 1/2 months and I am worried my body is quitting on me again. unsure.gif
PM
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

As long as she's gaining weight and having plenty of wet diapers, you are making enough. You may be just adjusting to her appetite. You may also be *shudder* getting ready to start AF! Aaaaah! ohmy.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

I noticed a drop around that time too, but Naomie was just being fussy because she was TEETHING!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

Good luck... Fenugreek seemed to help me, but it made me smell like Maple Syrup.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Sep 15 2006, 08:47 AM)
As long as she's gaining weight and having plenty of wet diapers, you are making enough. You may be just adjusting to her appetite. You may also be *shudder* getting ready to start AF! Aaaaah! ohmy.gif

Are you kidding me?! I haven't missed a beat. I am currently having my 3rd AF. growl.gif does that make your supply go down?
PM
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Sep 15 2006, 10:24 AM)

Are you kidding me?! I haven't missed a beat. I am currently having my 3rd AF. growl.gif does that make your supply go down?

Aha! Yes, that explains it. I ALWAYS had a dip in supply around AF. Karen said she used to use calcium/magnesium supplements around that time and it seemed to help. I never tried it though.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
sammiandsarah
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5,244

Remember, too, that your baby is way more efficient at extracting milk than a pump. Don't use your pump as an indicator of what your body is producing. Nursing directly at the breast is the best way to boost supply, if that's possible. Are you doing this as well as pumping? If the first time around you exclusively pumped for your baby, that's likely why your body stopped producing milk. Oatmeal is good, as well as fenugreek. Good luck and HTH.

Mary
Mom to Sammi and Sarah
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I have been basically exclusively nursing. she gets one bottle at night so DH can help with bed time routine. I have actually been really lazy about pumping. (I hate hate hate it) I am supposed to pump once a night.
Poor girl nursed all the time yesterday and was so crabby and wouldn't sleep so I was wondering if low supply could be the cause.
I latched her on and we took a little nap together this afternoon. hopefully that will jusp start things a little. nothing like being a human pacifier! wink.gif laugh.gif
I know that I don't drink enough fluids either, so I have been basically drowning myself today.
PM
ZandersMama
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

I would say teething, Zan used to get like that when he was teething, he got his first tooth at 3 months or so , maybe a bit younger.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
BabyOwen427
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Jazz Hands!!

Member No.: 4,095

Well sometime in the 3rd month a baby goes through a growth spurt, and again at 6, and 9 months. She may be fussy, because she is hungary because she needs more food for growing. I'd offer her food often. And you never know she might be teething also, my ds just cut his first two teeth lastweekend and during so feeding was a fussy event.
HTH

--------------------
Beth, proud Army wife to Curtis, supermommy to Owen!

user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I know I can't compare the two, but The Boy didn't get teeth until he was 10 months old. dunno.gif She sure has been sucking on her hands a lot lately, I figured it was because she could finally get them into her mouth. I'll have to wait till she wakes up and take a closer look at her mouth.
PM
holley79
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

hug.gif When AF rears her ugly head my supply dips also. Hope that is all it is. I have been taking Fennel and drinking TONS of water. hug.gif

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
kimberley
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

dito.gif definitely keep well hydrated. and yes, AF will dip supply a bit.

every kid is different with teething. jacob was 1mo, james was about 6mos, jade was 5mos and kaleigh was 8mos, so it could be she is nursing more to comfort the pain of teething. kaleigh does it all the time then gets mad if i get a let down cuz she didn't want milk, she wanted comfort laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I just checked her mouth, and there are no signs of teeth. no bumps, or swelling or redness none of that.

okay, so what should I try?

fenugreek
fennel
magnesium/calcium suppliments
hydration
oatmeal

do these things really work? I have been eating oatmeal,and drinking like a fish, and I am on a calcium suppliment, is that the same thing as the mag/cal suppliment, or is that something different?

I'm almost done with my AF hopefully things will streighten themselves out.
PM
KeanusMomma
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 05:52 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5,327

I'll second what sammieandsarah said. A pump doesn't even compare to what a baby can do. That's a hard part about breastfeeding--you don't have concrete numbers to go by. While nursing, look for signs of sucking and swallowing. Her chin should move up and down, and you should hear her swallow every couple of sucks. She should gain weight regularly, and produce 6-8 wet diapers a day and bm regularly. As for pumping, if you have to for work or something, I've heard bringing a picture of baby to look at during can help with the mama feelings. You might even try recording your baby's cry or other sounds to listen to (maybe with headphones) while you are pumping.

Nap nursing and night nursing are good for stimulating supply. The more milk you need, the more you make. Low milk supply happens waaay less that people think it does.

--------------------
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Rachel, from KC MO, single momma to Keanu 7/29/04.
PMEmail PosterMSN

PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I think i was just not frinking enough. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast and trying to drink water until I just about drown myself and my supply has gone back up. Working on the weekends throws things off a bit becuase I work overnights and my sleep schedule gets thrown off.
PM
holley79
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Sep 23 2006, 10:06 AM)
I think i was just not frinking enough. I am eating oatmeal for breakfast and trying to drink water until I just about drown myself and my supply has gone back up. Working on the weekends throws things off a bit becuase I work overnights and my sleep schedule gets thrown off.

hug.gif I remember those overnights. wacko.gif It threw things off for me also. I saw that I was not taking in enough fluids when I was at work as when I was at home. I have been drowning myself also. hug.gif

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

The amount you pump has NOTHING to do with what you are producing as a baby can effectively get the milk out 100x better than ANY pump. A lot of people quit 'producing' when EP unless they are pumping a TON of times a day for 20 to 30 minutes at a time and not many are that committed.

After reading your other post I seriously believe your supply is just adjusting to what she needs and you just don't feel like you are producing enough. Anyone who BF can tell you they freaked out at about 3 months or so when they realized their breasts weren't as full and baby was fussy and felt like they weren't making enough. Very common wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

This is an old post. that problem resolved itself with a little time, water and oatmeal. laugh.gif Now I am on to a new problem. laugh.gif
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Sep 23 2006, 05:00 PM)
This is an old post. that problem resolved itself with a little time, water and oatmeal. laugh.gif Now I am on to a new problem. laugh.gif

actually they do really go hand in hand though wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0222 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]