Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I just don't understand, long
holley79
  Posted: Jul 21 2006, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,515

My Women don't BF longer

Last night I got the latest Baby Talk magazine. I just love the articles it has in it. On the cover was an infant nursing. The main story was, “Why Women Don’t Nurse Longer”. I was like, ok let’s check it out. The more I read the more ticked I got. mad.gif (link to article is up top)

57 percent of those polled said that women should not have a right to breastfeed in public.

I think I read this right…. dry.gif

And a whopping 72 percent said that it's inappropriate to show a woman breastfeeding on TV programs.

Ok, someone explain this to me please. In a society where sex sales, T&A are on primetime TV and they want to say it’s inappropriate to show a woman BF on TV programs. Oh come on. huh.gif

I thought it was 2006. I thought in this day and age people would be a little more open minded then this. I see more skin on a commercial then I do when I see a woman BF. I just don’t understand how this can be. We live in a world where they are pushing organic foods, exercise, herbal supplementing, blahblah.gif blahblah.gif blahblah.gif . BF is 100% natural and good for baby, contains nutrients they need and keeps them well. Seems we have covered that base. Now on to the next. By nursing our babes we are saving health care money because our babes are not sick. I had the worse flu of my life. Everyone around Annika had the flu. Annika DID NOT have the flu. Hummm, I wonder why!!! bigthink.gif

I love it when they say it is in appropriate. What I find inappropriate is a 13 year old in the mall with practically nothing on. (You know what I’m talking about, I’m not trying to offend anyone here.) She is showing more skin then I am. Why aren’t they harping on that!!!!! smash.gif smash.gif

Moms in Kansas don't need to spend time crafting a comeback. In honor of a 2006 breastfeeding law, the state has printed up cards that mothers can flash in the face of anyone who tells them to stop nursing. The card states, "Kansas License to Breastfeed in Public — It's the Law."

Printable BF Card

I love it, kudos to Kansas. I wish more and more states adopted this. I was reading about the “Work Hassles”. I am so thankful for where I work. blush.gif Everyone here has been wonderful with me pumping here at work. I pretty much make my own schedule for my breaks so it works out wonderfully. happy.gif Unfortunately, my sister will not be able to pump at work. She has to wear so much protective equipment in her line of work, it’s not feasible. She will, however, nurse for the first couple of months while on maternity leave. Something is better then nothing.

(Anyone that is a formula feeder please don’t be offended by my comments or post. We all do what is best for our babes.)

I’m sorry I went on a tangent here. I probably don’t make the least bit of sense but you know how it is. I just could not believe what I was reading. For so much education this society is pretty ignorant. Don’t worry, DH was getting an ear full all last night.

I’m not a BF advocate. I would have never guessed in a million years I would be a mom much less BFing. When I first started out my goal was 3 months. I surpassed that. Then I set up for 6 months. We have surpassed that also. Well we are 7 months into it and still going strong. If Annika self weans before a year then that’s her choice. I’m working toward the year mark and anyone who has a problem with it; well you get the jest of what I’m saying. I just find it so offensive all the attacking that takes place against mothers who nurse. It’s really disheartening. Don’t we, technically, have bigger fish to fry? I educated myself by reading, researching and having a wonderful support system on and offline.

If you read all this yak.gif yak.gif yak.gif yak.gif grouphug.gif to you.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I can't even read those articles anymore because they just make me vomit. A lot of the times it's because the articles quote women who give so many reasons as to why they aren't BF, when they really are just excuses. I just had to stop reading for my own health. happy.gif

The BFIP thing I never got why people are so anti about it. But to each their own. When I get stared at I give them just the same evil, disgusting stare they give me. tongue.gif Or I have been known to call them out on their stares literally! Or DH will say to me as we walk past them (or whatever the situation) "what haven't they seen a breast before or do they really live that sheltered of a life". emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

Anyways, about the laws..they are all good and dandy and the cards are too. I think it's great but I really think it's very sad that we actually HAVE to have laws, etc on the books for this. It makes me want to vomit as well. But since we do have to have them, it's goods states are doing it. If society would just get off their high horse and stop being so prude about a woman BF in public and start ranting and raving about all the women/children out there dressing so "barely there" then the taxpayers could have their hard earned money going towards legislators making legislation for REAL causes than these.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

It's just garbage, I see nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. I can understand people's veiws, but if you don't want to see a woman breastfeeding her baby in public, turn your head.

When I was breastfeeding Odessa, I would get alot of rude looks from passing people when she was nursing in public. Someone even told me I should go into a public restroom to feed her.

I said "You wouldn't eat your lunch in a public toilet, why should my daughter have to?"

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster

ashtonsmama
Posted: Jul 21 2006, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

This type of thing makes me sick. Why were we made as women to nourish our children and create a bond through nursing if it wasn't natural?!?
growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif

It aggravates me to the utmost degree, sorry.

Amen to your comments, Karen, and iagree.gif 100% with both of yours too, Nina and Holley...it's ridiculous what we can get away with seeing in the media, and then it's because of the gross things we see on TV, etc. that makes breastfeeding something to even be considered inappropriate?!? I think not.

Why is it ok for there to be unprotected sex with multiple partners, lots of nudity, swearing, crude behavior, etc. in our media today and no one bats an eye, but when we try to nourish our babies it becomes an issue?!?

growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0227 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]