Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Spanking?
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 212

Nope. My kids dont' know what spankings are . Some lady at a store once said to Cameron as he was acting out "you want a spanking young man.. cause if you dont' you better stop that" and he looked a ther and said "what' s a spanking"
I did swat his but once and didn't even barely skim his short adn he turned to me and said "there's no hitting in this house!" At least he listens sometimes right ?!
I really dont' believe in hitting them regardless of the action since I have seen the fear in eyes of small childrne that have been hit and the trust that gets displaced form it. Plus i think it sends a conflicting message to them that big people cna hit littel people if they are upset or angry and it's ok. To each their own in their parenting styles, but that's not a route I take.
Oh i do have a question though for those that do hit, or love tap or spank or whatever you call it. What do you do when your child does it to you or someone else? Liek they are upset with a sibling who has taken their most favorite thing and to them that is somethign awful and worthy of a spankign for that child. Or they are really really mad that you said it is bedtime and to them that's the equivalent of not listening for the third, fourth, fifth time and they smack you, even if it's lightly on teh behind. How do you correct the behavior, or are they allowed to act out in their anger/upset feeling? Not tryign to stir trouble I am honestly curious as no one has ever been able to answer this for me other than saying . I tell them not to hit.

What Cary said. It's usually because I had to follow through. You know it really doesn't work either. I get more results when I say I'm going to take something away or she won't be allowed to play her Dora game before bed. I was rarely spanked as a child because when an adult got cross with me it would hurt my feelings. Jade is a lot like this. I usually send her to her room and wait until she has stopped crying and then I will explain to her why she got into trouble. She has gotten better since we have gotten here and there is more stability in her life. I hope to continue that for her.

This post has been edited by MomToJade&Jordan on Jun 22 2006, 08:49 PM

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Lizzie
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

I think I have each of my kids a total of once, each. It was only when they were really out of hand, and nothing else seemed to work. My oldest knew that if it got like that again, it could happen again, she really didnt seem to misbehave again. It just plainol didnt work with my son, he didnt care, sending him to his room was more of a punishment. For my youngest, you get the same results if you sit down and talk with her, that works the best with her.

That shows you that each kid is different, what works for one, might not work for another.

--------------------
Lizzie
wife to Mike
mother to Chris, Kev, Kate
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

I'm always at odds with this one. I do not want to send mixed messages when I tell them to not hit and then go and give a spanking but at the same time, in some serious scenarios, they have all gotten a pat on the butt or the hand at one time or another. It's not something I necessarily believe in or do in anger at all but I do admit, a "love tap" has been necessary at certain points.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster

Ashlynn's Mommy
Posted: Jun 23 2006, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,771

Not yet, but my 9 year old is leaning on my last nerve. rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Jun 23 2006, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

QUOTE (redchief @ Jun 22 2006, 05:41 PM)
At one time I spanked my kids when I thought they "needed it." I learned that they never needed it, ever. I'm sorry I used spanking and I definitely don't recommend it. I'm only going to say this one more thing on spanking; I know now that an adult spanking a small person is bullying. I've learned that discipline doesn't have to be physical, and if meted out consistently and appropriately, nonviolent discipline sends a stronger, longer lasting message.

Ed you always say it so perfectly! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Bee_Kay
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,257

When my kids were ALOT younger they got swats on the butt. Ashley twice, Tyler once. I haven't ever struck them to the point where they "feel it".

I was only spanked one time when I was a child (my parents told me what I did... believe me, I had it coming) emlaugh.gif

I never felt the need to spank my children. I wanted them to learn right from wrong by, first, it being explained to them so they understand and then followed by a loss of something. We have always used the "taking away priviledges" form of discipline.

Ashley and Tyler were never really difficult children either, so maybe that is a reason also.

ETA: although I have chosen to not spank.... I don't judge those that do hug.gif

This post has been edited by Bee_Kay on Jun 27 2006, 08:18 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

We spank but only if nothing else works or if I threaten one first (the threat use to work everytime) but its really more of a "love tap" sleep.gif I hate doing it but time outs don't really work for her and groundings well sometimes taking away the tv works but what am I really going to ground a 2 year old from tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
super_mom_syndrome
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4,146

How many parents have spanked their children?
If so what ages and why?

I am confused as the topic, around where I live it is very uncommon, but i heard a few parents talking about it.

My son is age 8 and I don't spank him. I talk to my son and we have very good communication between us. I choose not to spank because as a child my parents over did it and crossed the line by actually beating me. When I became a parent I swore I'd never do it. I started taking early childhood education classes when he was an infant. This helped me with my own philosophy. I believe that a child doesn't learn anything from a spanking. Its an act that doesn't have any connection to what the issue was about. Instead of giving a spanking the child should have communication with the adult at the child's level so they may understand what has happened. More than anything the best time for a child to learn this is by prevention. Its hard to write about all the different ways I teach my son because its nature to me and I use a great deal of different kinds of stratagies. It works different at different times but what helps me most is teachable moments and the use of prevention.

Anyway I choose not to spank. Does me that make me a better person or worse person, no. It just is a path I chose for us.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0190 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]