Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Left handed
Kittilicious
Posted: Apr 28 2006, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,627

Let 'em choose.

My youngest is left handed and I never thought to teach her to write with her right. Years ago (many many years ago) they used to force kids to write with their right in school. Why it was so wrong to use the left, I don't know.

What I have a problem with is how some teachers feel that there is only one correct way to hold a pencil. "Pinch your pencil"... OMG I want to cringe when I hear that. My lefty daughter was hounded in Kindergarten because of the way she held her pencil... she would come home upset because she couldn't write her name well because of the way the teacher wanted her to hold her pencil. The teacher would litterally stop her and make her hold it this way, drove me nuts!

I went into school and told the teacher to let Krissy hold her pencil however she wants to. "But we are showing them the correct way to hold it". I showed her how I hold a pencil... I practically hold the entire pencil in a fist-type hold and I have very nice handwriting.... and she shut up. I also told her that I cannot teach Krissy to "pinch her pencil" when I can't even do it.

The 1st grade teacher tried the same thing... I found out at conferences that Krissy boldly told her "I don't have to pinch my pencil, my mommy says I can hold my pencil anyway I want to!". laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
(Otherwise known as Berleen)
Mom to Taryn 9-25-1994 & Kristina 5-16-1996
Wife to Jason 7-22-95
PMEmail PosterYahoo
msoulz
Posted: Apr 28 2006, 05:31 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (Kittilicious @ Apr 28 2006, 06:21 AM)
What I have a problem with is how some teachers feel that there is only one correct way to hold a pencil. "Pinch your pencil"... OMG I want to cringe when I hear that. My lefty daughter was hounded in Kindergarten because of the way she held her pencil... she would come home upset because she couldn't write her name well because of the way the teacher wanted her to hold her pencil. The teacher would litterally stop her and make her hold it this way, drove me nuts!

I went into school and told the teacher to let Krissy hold her pencil however she wants to. "But we are showing them the correct way to hold it". I showed her how I hold a pencil... I practically hold the entire pencil in a fist-type hold and I have very nice handwriting.... and she shut up. I also told her that I cannot teach Krissy to "pinch her pencil" when I can't even do it.

The 1st grade teacher tried the same thing... I found out at conferences that Krissy boldly told her "I don't have to pinch my pencil, my mommy says I can hold my pencil anyway I want to!". laugh.gif

Isn't that the craziest thing? Who cares how one holds a pencil. A friend of mine went through the exact same thing with her son, arguing with a teacher about it. If the writing is good, does it really matter? I highly doubt how one holds a pencil will adversely affect his or her physical or emotional well being!!! Of course, I am not a physical therapist, but then, neither are the teachers!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
TheOaf66
Posted: May 31 2006, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

Member No.: 3,764

i think it is most important to let the child choose. My son eats left handed and now writes left handed (like me) and I supported it from the start.

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jun 1 2006, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (blue72 @ Mar 26 2006, 12:16 PM)
Luke favors his left hand. I'm teaching him how to write his name. Should I try and get him to use his right hand.

No! If he feels more comfortable with the left, let him use the left. Never ever force a child to use the hand they are not most comfortable with. Sorry to sound harsh, but as a preschool teacher I have seen many parents do this and it only hinders the child's abilities more and will tamper with their self esteem if they struggle and feel uncomfortable.

Also, on a side note, I would recommend having him trace and write his name using the correct phonetical spelling...first capital letter and the rest lower. This is the way most K classrooms will have the children write it and if they are not taught the proper way first, they will only have to relearn how to write their name when they enter K. It makes it easier on the child in the longrun. Just my two cents.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Ashlynn's Mommy
Posted: Jun 1 2006, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,771

I think you should let him figure it out himself. He will use whatever hand he feels most comfortable with.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0149 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]