Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Reading
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

Anyone got some good tips on how to help a child to read? Kait has been asking and is really showing interest in wanting to read and I so want to encourage and use that. Any good DVD's, books, or websits?

TIA

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
daycare mom
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,883

I don't know how effective this is compared to other things, but my DD loves flashcards and the magnet board. I draw a letter (large and small) on the magnet board, and she copies it. After a while of that, we started using large flashcards (52 of them) each letter has a picture on the back using that letter. It's her favorite game, and she can recognize all the letters and draw 90% of them already.

I've also read that you should teach the letters out of order. I can't remember why offhand, but that it is important. Maybe so they don't just memorize what letter is SUPPOSED to come next, like memorizing a book. happy.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Those Leap Frog DVD's are supposed to help. Kylie has the letter one down pat, and trying with the word one, but isn't as interested just yet.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

jcc64
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 06:57 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

How old is she?

After a slow start, we are now big fans of "The Letter Factory" dvd's (thanks to Karen and Dee Dee). It's pretty amazing how quickly Corey picked up the phonics part of letter recognition from just a few weeks of watching.
There are 2 ways to teach reading- whole language and phonics. Back when my oldest was learning to read, it was a pretty hot debate in the schools as to which was the best way to go. Over the years, I think a combination approach emerged, with bits and pieces of each. In short, phonics is the way I learned as a child (and the way the Letter Factory works)- learning sounds and putting them together to form words. Whole language affords a child reading success through context- alot of books with very predictable patterns, so that at first, the child isn't actually reading the word, but figuring it out from the context of the surrounding story and pictures. Eventually, they master common sight words simply from seeing them over and over again. I like this b/c the kids get excited and feel a sense of accomplishment much quicker than with phonics- but I think phonics is essential nonetheless.
Good luck. My advice would be to reign in the temptation to push, keep it fun and light and let her take the lead. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

She is 3. We have the Letter factory, I got it for her for Valentines day and she LOVES it, I also ordered the reading one but have not given it to her yet. I think I will just try and work with her more to reconize more letters, she know some. Then there is the getting her into a good pre school. I need to finish looking at them and decide.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Jeanne - glad she's liking it now. I am SO sick of that song now. wacko.gif

I think Kylie doesn't like the Word one as much because it doesn't have a catchy song to it. That really appeals to her and I wish it had one because I KNOW she'd catch on so much more quickly if it did.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0172 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]