Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Only 9 and it happened already
StephanieM
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,474

OMG! I do not want to hear this!! My twins are 9! I'm not ready for them to be little women yet ohmy.gif bawling.gif It's bad enough they have little hairy armpits already....oh my, what will I do?

Stephanie

--------------------
Stephanie, mom to 4 beautiful girls!
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

hug.gif hug.gif This is exactly the age Emily started and it really hasn't been to bad, except for the fact that she can't swallow pills. But we found liquid Tylenol in the US and it has worked great for her. Good Luck! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
jcc64
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I found out my 8 year old niece is getting pubic hair-it was a shock for her and obviously her mom (and me!). Her ped did recommend hormone free milk, eggs, etc... months ago as she was getting greasy hair/sweaty pits but doesnt seem to have done a whole lot of good! I grew up on regular milk/eggs/etc... (not sure if we had the same hormones in dairy back then) and I didnt get my period until my freshman year in highschool! I didnt get boobs until I was in college-and barely even then!

Not sure how this very old thread is now resurfacing, but this particular part really caught my eye.
The reason you didn't have the problems that your niece is having is because the dubious practices of factory farming have changed since you were coming up. To compensate for chronic ill effects caused by the deplorable living conditions of dairy producing livestock, animals are pumped full of antibiotics, hormones, and other toxic substances known to compromise the health of both the animals themselves and the humans that consume these products (especially children). There have been many attempts by public interest groups to at the very least label milk, eggs, etc that contain BGH (bovine growth hormones) so the consumer can choose to avoid these products, but of course the FDA and our esteemed political representatives are much more concerned about the business interests (and campaign donations) of Monsanto than they are about the health of our children.
What can you do? Buy organic and free range as much as possible. Of course, families on a budget don't always have that option, but the gov't really doesn't care about the problems of poor people anyway, especially kids.
Can you tell this is a hot button issue for me?!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:25 AM)
I found out my 8 year old niece is getting pubic hair-it was a shock for her and obviously her mom (and me!). Her ped did recommend hormone free milk, eggs, etc... months ago as she was getting greasy hair/sweaty pits but doesnt seem to have done a whole lot of good! I grew up on regular milk/eggs/etc... (not sure if we had the same hormones in dairy back then) and I didnt get my period until my freshman year in highschool! I didnt get boobs until I was in college-and barely even then!

Not sure how this very old thread is now resurfacing, but this particular part really caught my eye.
The reason you didn't have the problems that your niece is having is because the dubious practices of factory farming have changed since you were coming up. To compensate for chronic ill effects caused by the deplorable living conditions of dairy producing livestock, animals are pumped full of antibiotics, hormones, and other toxic substances known to compromise the health of both the animals themselves and the humans that consume these products (especially children). There have been many attempts by public interest groups to at the very least label milk, eggs, etc that contain BGH (bovine growth hormones) so the consumer can choose to avoid these products, but of course the FDA and our esteemed political representatives are much more concerned about the business interests (and campaign donations) of Monsanto than they are about the health of our children.
What can you do? Buy organic and free range as much as possible. Of course, families on a budget don't always have that option, but the gov't really doesn't care about the problems of poor people anyway, especially kids.
Can you tell this is a hot button issue for me?!

Jeanne, i just want to say i'm so glad you brought this up. i am a big milk drinker and as you know, i'm also a big animal lover and i've been wondering about how buying milk from the market may be affecting the well being of animals who produce milk.
i will buy organic from now on, regardless of the cost. i assume the same is the case with cheese and other dairy products...do you buy yours organic? can i get these things at Whole Foods for example?
thanks.... smile.gif
i already buy my eggs from cage free hens...it costs twice the price but is so worth it for me.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

I've given Erin organic since she started milk and now I will continue this too! Thanks for the info. hug.gif

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
jcc64
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Yeah, Jen, you can certainly get organic dairy at Whole Foods, - most mainstream supermarkets now carry several brands of organic everything. The hardest thing to get on a consistent basis is organic meat, but you are a vegetarian, so that's not an issue for you.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
polyphoniesauvage
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 12,970

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

EEEEP! 9?!?!?! Wow. I remember in like 6th grade, everyone found out that a girl got her's when she was 8, and everyone teased her about it for so long. sad.gif

I got mine when I was 13, and by then I too was wanting it to come along really badly because all of my friends had theirs'. laugh.gif

Capucine got her's when she was 15. wacko.gif She didn't really want it, strangly, lol. She dreaded it. For a long time, obviously. Haha. My kids are late developers, really. Capucine is 16 now and she looks about 13. My 7 year-old looks 5! They didn't get it from me, I don't think, lol.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0148 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]