Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Alright, we are trying probiotics
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

We officially have thrush AGAIN! growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif This is the 3RD TIME! growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif
So we get to start Gentian violet again. I talked to my ped about probiotics and she suggested culturelle, which I can only order online, so I did. It should be here in a few days. I really hope it works. Anyone have experieance with this brand? I am also wondering if I can use the grapefruit seed extract at the same time? She didn't say anything about that. My lactation consultant was no help. She read up about it in her book, but it just said what kellymom said. rolleyes.gif

Alright, keep your fingers crossed for me. rolleyes.gif
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Tara sorry to hear about the thrush. I have some experience with a probiotic, my son had to take it for his GI problems, I am not sure what the brand was though. At the time, the dr's in the office, disagreed on if it worked or not. I think it did. Although we were also using yogurt at least two times a day. So whether it was the probiotic or the yogurt that made the difference we will never know.

sorry that wasnt much help. do you have a health food store in your area, thats where we got it.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

we have a few, but she recomends this brand. dry.gif figures.
I tried probiotics once before for me but had no luck. I had no luck with yogurt either. sad.gif
i hope this stuff does the trick.
PM

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

I'm unsure of the brand, but a friend of mine had great success with probiotics. thumb.gif I'm praying it works for you, Tara. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

unsure.gif I thought you guys were on probiotics regularly since you get it so much. If not, it will definitely help. Hope it goes away quickly. BTW, I've used GSE with Priobiotics at the same time as well as with GV.

I have not used that kind of Priobiotics, though. I think I've used Nature's way. Not sure.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 31 2006, 09:19 PM)
unsure.gif I thought you guys were on probiotics regularly since you get it so much. If not, it will definitely help. Hope it goes away quickly. BTW, I've used GSE with Priobiotics at the same time as well as with GV.

I have not used that kind of Priobiotics, though. I think I've used Nature's way. Not sure.

I knew you would have something to add. laugh.gif
I tried it when I first started getting thrushy about 2 years ago and it did noting for me so I gave up. I have very little confidence that it will work now. but, I am willing to try anything. If I have to do GV once a month for the whole time I nurse it is going to get extremely old. dry.gif I think I will give the probiotics a shot, and if that doesn't work add the GSE. I am getting so sick of putting away all her pretty pink things so they won't get ruined. growl.gif
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 31 2006, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 31 2006, 09:19 PM)
unsure.gif  I thought you guys were on probiotics regularly since you get it so much.  If not, it will definitely help.  Hope it goes away quickly.  BTW, I've used GSE with Priobiotics at the same time as well as with GV.

I have not used that kind of Priobiotics, though.  I think I've used Nature's way.  Not sure.

I knew you would have something to add. laugh.gif
I tried it when I first started getting thrushy about 2 years ago and it did noting for me so I gave up. I have very little confidence that it will work now. but, I am willing to try anything. If I have to do GV once a month for the whole time I nurse it is going to get extremely old. dry.gif I think I will give the probiotics a shot, and if that doesn't work add the GSE. I am getting so sick of putting away all her pretty pink things so they won't get ruined. growl.gif

IMO I'd try the Priobiotics and the GSE together and skip the GV. But I definitely would do the GSE. If you or she already have thrush priobiotics won't get rid of it, it only replenishes the good flora in your system and keeps the bad away, but if the bad (thrush) is already there only something like GSE or other forms will rid of it.

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

We already have the thrush. I acutally just gave her her 1st dose of GV tonight. My Dr suggests i do: 3 days of GV once a day, then 3 days of GV every other day, Then 3 days of GV every day, and 3 days of GV every other day.
I am totally not doing that.
My plan is to treat our thrush with GV once a day for 3 days, then starting the probiotics as soon as they come in the mail.

so, let me get this streight, My acidophilous will keep the thrush away, but IF wink.gif it comes back use the GSE to get rid of it?
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 31 2006, 09:30 PM)
so, let me get this streight, My acidophilous will keep the thrush away, but IF wink.gif it comes back use the GSE to get rid of it?

Pretty much. You need to use Priobiotics for at least 10 days PAST the last sign of thrush. Then you can either decrease the dosage or all together. But you really should give Alexis acido as well, it will help much better. Just get a baby kind and give it to her on your finger or you can use an adult pill and cut it into 3rds, giving her a 1/3 in the morning, a 1/3 in the afternoon and a 1/3 in the evening. You would give acido every time you use antibiotics too.

Once the thrush is there you can take the acido but you would need to use GSE as well as all that other stuff we discussed before like vinegar rinses, no anti-bacterial soaps, etc, etc.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 31 2006, 09:34 PM)
so, let me get this streight, My acidophilous will keep the thrush away, but IF  wink.gif it comes back use the GSE to get rid of it?

Pretty much. You need to use Priobiotics for at least 10 days PAST the last sign of thrush. Then you can either decrease the dosage or all together. But you really should give Alexis acido as well, it will help much better. Just get a baby kind and give it to her on your finger or you can use an adult pill and cut it into 3rds, giving her a 1/3 in the morning, a 1/3 in the afternoon and a 1/3 in the evening. You would give acido every time you use antibiotics too.

Once the thrush is there you can take the acido but you would need to use GSE as well as all that other stuff we discussed before like vinegar rinses, no anti-bacterial soaps, etc, etc.

My Dr actually didn't discuss treating ME at all. she said to disolve one capsule in some water and give it to her once a day.
I was planning on taking it myself as well, although I have no idea how much to take. I assume there will be directions on the bottle. I was just planning on taking it every single day since I KNOW my thrush/yeast will return in 2 weeks anyway. I'll go get some GSE tomorrow tho.
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 31 2006, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 31 2006, 09:34 PM)
so, let me get this streight, My acidophilous will keep the thrush away, but IF  wink.gif it comes back use the GSE to get rid of it?

My Dr actually didn't discuss treating ME at all. she said to disolve one capsule in some water and give it to her once a day.
I was planning on taking it myself as well, although I have no idea how much to take. I assume there will be directions on the bottle. I was just planning on taking it every single day since I KNOW my thrush/yeast will return in 2 weeks anyway. I'll go get some GSE tomorrow tho.

Yes, you should take the acido as well and the directions are on the bottle. Hmmm, let me go get mine out of the fridge.....Ok

Mine are Nature's Way brand and are actually called Primadophilus. You want to make sure you have an acido that has at least 10 billion microorganisms per gram, that's what I've always been told. You will find this in the refrigerated sections of health food stores and will need to keep it refrig'ed. My directions say to take one capsule (2.9 billion) per day then after two weeks at the usual dosage you can increase it to one capsule three times a day.

I took it three times a day right away with antiobics. You have to be careful though because it can cause you some issues...for the life of me I'm having short term memory loss (this stinkin' conference I'm working on has mine mind blown wacko.gif ) so I can't remember what it would do to me if I took too much, I think it made me go to the bathroom a lot wink.gif so watch it if you go straight to three. You can experiment with it til you find the right dosage as long as it's under the highest dosage.

GL!

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

thumb.gif thanks! I can't wait for mine to come in the mail!
PM
holley79
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

Probiotics is what my mom is taking right now. She got thrush from all the antibiotics she was on. I'm sorry you both are going through that. hug.gif

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

in our house Thrush isn't something you get, its a way of life! growl.gif dry.gif
PM

holley79
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Sep 1 2006, 10:14 AM)
in our house Thrush isn't something you get, its a way of life! growl.gif dry.gif

All I have to do it touch a bottle of anitbiotics and I get thrush. It's no fun. hug.gif

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

hug.gif hug.gif I hope you can get this cleared up soon Tara, doesn't sound like much fun at all!!
hug.gif hug.gif Here are more hugs!!

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0164 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]