Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Breast Pumps
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,766

Ok, so I had NO idea there were so many to choose from. Since I will be new to the whole BF deal, I have no idea what to look for, what is best, etc. What are the best ones to get? Is a manual one better or an electric? I'm confussed. wacko.gif I don't want to spend more than $100 on one, or around there. I don't need a fancy shmancy one, but I don't want to go oober cheap either. Any advice?

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Jennie, I have a medula double pump. Its just the basic pump with out all the bells and whistles, you can get it on amazon, or we got our at toys r us. It was $120. It came with two bottles for storage, but I had to get a larger size pump part for the top (I have no idea what its called, a funnel?) LOL!
anyways, this worked great for me, it has a dial to control the setting of suction, and it does both sides at once so it saved time.

I really liked it. I did find that I didnt pump often though. If you are going to be at home with him, do you need a pump?
I bought two manual ones, the hand held kind, and I hated both of them! I wasnt ever able to get a let down, and your hand gets cramped really early in the game, and you still have the other side to do!

I would skip the manual one if you can!

If you need me to send a link to the one I got just let me know.
I also used the top brand from the hosp for two months! It was wonderful! If you are able to do that for a while, even to just stock pile some milk supply, I recommend that. some insurances pay for it, our didnt, it was $50 a month, but it was so great!

Also WIC pays for it sometimes also. I dont know if you can qualify for that.

check with your insurance company

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Thanks for the info! If you do have the link I would love to know what it looks like.

After the baby is born I am not sure if I will be home or not. I'm contemplating working a bit at night for the income so I can still be home with the baby and when Tanner is home from school. I'm just not sure if the whole in-home daycare thing is going to be longer term than initially planned. Long story short...I'm just tired of sharing my home.

What about freezing the milk? Will those sealable milk bags work with any breast pump? Do you just pour it in those and freeze it?

Can you tell I'm a newbie breastfeeder? blush.gif

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

amynicole21
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

If you will be going back to work, you should definitely get a double electric. The money you spend on a good one will be far less than what you will save on formula wink.gif I used a Medela Pump In Style and they are generally the most often recommended.

If you only need it for an occasional bottle when you are going out for a night on the town ( tongue.gif ) a manual pump will work just fine. You can get an Avent Isis for around $40 I think.

You will most likely pump into bottles, then pour those into the sealable bags. Make sure you get the kind made for storing breastmilk - they have handy areas for labelling the bags and give you a general idea of how much is in each one.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?p...ctId=2409074&cp

Is this the one? It got a lot of great reviews.

Mostly, I need something just for at nights when I am working, if that is what eventually happens, so hubby can feed the baby. I don't mind supplementing, but I'd like to do that as little as possible.

Added: What's with all the accessories? What do I need to buy with it? Storage bags for sure. Can I use other bottles or do I have to use the ones they get pumped into? I like the Playtex bottles with the liners. They worked great for Tanner since he was so gassy and colicy. I suppose I can just pour it into whatever bottle I want to use hey?

So many thoughts running through my head...ahhhhhh... blush.gif

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Aug 31 2006, 11:24 AM

--------------------
PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Here is the link to the one at amazon.com
you can use any freezer bag or container, i use the cup ones from advent.
I like those, and now caleb uses them for painting! and jake uses them for snack foods. they are reusable.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Double-Select...s=baby-products

wow this is on sale right now. I am going to see if I can find it on the toys r us site so that there is a pic.

--------------------

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Jennie that is the exact one that i have, its the same one as the medela pump in style but the pump in style comes with a bag....so this is just the bear bones, which sounds like all you would need if you want to work at night.

you can use any bottles, or any other accessories you like, you just pour it into what ever bottle or bag you want to use.

I liked the advent stuff, I think I might be mis spelling that stuff.

I have had this pump for about 6 months now, and I used it alot and the motor never wore out, and it works great, I also got milk into the tubes and was able to call and they told me how to get it out,
all the babies r us stores sell accessories if you need new tubes or other parts, so its easy to get replacements.

--------------------

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 31 2006, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

You guys are awesome! Thanks Stacy! I just may order that one soon while it's on sale at Amazon! It had a few bad reviews, but what doesn't?

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Aug 31 2006, 11:59 AM

--------------------
PM
holley79
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

I use the gerber storage bags. When Annika was really wittle I would only put about 2 ounces in the bags at a time so they wouldn't get wasted.

Looks like a good deal with it on sale.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Cece00
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

I have a PIS.

Even though my breasts do not cooperate when it comes to pumping growl.gif I do like it, and I know it works well for a LOT of people.

Good luck with BF.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0181 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]