Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Medela Breast Pump Users, Question
siblingtooolivia
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,442

Hi all, in an attempt to get my ducks in a row for my first breastfeeding experience...I have a question.

I have a Medela Pump In Style that I got from a friend of a friend...it is in great shape, clean, etc. talked to my Ped about it, he gave me the go ahead. Here is my question, it is an older model, I would say maybe 6 or 7 years old. There is no SPEED control on it. Just the vacuum control....how important is that speed control?????? I have another friend who offered me hers which she got last year, my guess it has the let down, etc. on it....would I be better off with the newer model? Obviously newer is always better but I don't like to borrow things for fear of something happening to them, etc. especially something so expensive. The other person GAVE it to me and doesn't want it back....so anyway, long post short, how important like I said is the speed control????

Thanks for still reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Christine, wife to Dave 9/29/01, Mom to Olivia 6/7/02 and Dylan 12/16/06

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Well I haven't touched my controls in almost 4 years so I don't even remember, but I think they are important.

IMO I'd not borrow or take a pump from a friend of a friend, etc.....they are not closed systems therefore diseases can be transferred no matter how much you think they can't be.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
siblingtooolivia
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 3,442

Really, according to my Ped, who checked with an LC who has done extensive research on them (all brands, etc.) the Medela's are supposedly closed systems and are ok to use a used one.....obviously new is best but its alot of money for my last child, if it was my first, I would have bought one in a heartbeat but this time...can't justify it especially since I have gotten the medical advice that it is ok..............

--------------------
Christine, wife to Dave 9/29/01, Mom to Olivia 6/7/02 and Dylan 12/16/06

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Well I'd check to make sure that LC is certified for one, doesn't sound like she has her ducks in a row on the subject because Medela's PIS is NOT by any means a closed system. Call Medela, they'll tell you the same thing wink.gif.

Here's a link I have on this computer that explains it as well: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/pumps101.html

I used a used pump, but it was my SIL's. I'd use someones who is REALLy close to me and i know everything there is to know honestly about their health, but that's as far as I'd go.

I'm sorry, but if the LC did ANY extensive research she/he would find very easily that it's not a closed system.

ETA that they may be a lot of money, but no where near what the cost of formula would cost you wink.gif.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 27 2006, 06:38 PM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

I have a PIS that must be 10 years old, and had one 8 years ago too. The current older one was given to me by a friend. I got new tubes and have had no issue with it.

I have never used one with the other control and have no trouble pumping with the old one, nor did I have issues with my first pump, and I used the first one much more as I was back to work full time. So I can't compare the two but I can say the old type works well too!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
amynicole21
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Like Karen, I haven't touched the speed or vacuum controls in years... I personally think you could get used to whatever the standard speed setting was. I just cranked mine up to high so that I could get it over with more quickly wink.gif

And like Karen said, the PIS is not a closed system. Stick with what you've got thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 07:24 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I agree with Karen, I was told by a certified LC that the pumps on the market that are sold at stores, are NOT closed systems, and should not be reused by others.
the only ones that are closed are the hospital grade one.

I think any expense in the long run that saves a child from a serious illness, is worth it. I got my pump at toys r us, for less then $120, it doesnt have the pretty bag,but has everything else, and thats not that expensive.
It does have a seperate speed operation.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0268 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]