Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> we tried to supplement last night - horrible!, breastfeeding and formula
luvmybaby
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 08:15 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,345

my daughter is just over 5 months old, and has been exclusively breastfed. She had some formula in the hospital when she was born, and we supplemented for about the first two weeks. Then only breastmilk. Well we tried to give her 1 oz of formula (the same she took in the hospital when she was born) and 3oz breastmilk. Well, about an hour after she had it, she vomited most of the bottle. Then about 10 minutes after that, the rest of it came. The she vomited 2 more times, and it was like mucous, and it was obviously really hard to get out. I felt soooo bad! We called the ped and made sure she was ok. She rested for about 2 or 3 hours, had some bm, then went to sleep. She has pooped sooo much today. I'm waiting to hear back from the ped. The formula was Similac Advance with Iron. Think she'll have us try soy? Or lactose-free formula?? Has this happened to anyone else?? sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Sounds like she has an allergy to the type of formula being that there was mucuous in her spit-up. Did you explain that to the PED? They should have recommended a different kind IMO.

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
luvmybaby
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

I'm waiting for a call back from the ped. When I called last night, I just talked to the nurse on call, and she said we probably would have to use a different formula.
PMEmail Poster

DansMom
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 223

It does sound like an allergic reaction. Poor little sweetie! The ped will probably recommend a non-allergenic formula.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
luvmybaby
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

so the ped doesn't think it's a lactose allergy since I eat dairy and she's been okay with that. Now I don't know what to think... She said either lactose-free or soy formula would be okay to try...
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Aug 7 2006, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

QUOTE (luvmybaby @ Aug 7 2006, 01:54 PM)
so the ped doesn't think it's a lactose allergy since I eat dairy and she's been okay with that. Now I don't know what to think... She said either lactose-free or soy formula would be okay to try...

Could be her system just doesn't like that particular formula... Her suggestion sounds reasonable. All of ours had to go on soy formula after BF. They just didn't tolerate the dairy formulas very well.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 8 2006, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Don't know if this has anything to do with this situation, but Tanner was on this special formula for about the first 6 months...could have been a little younger, not positive. It is called Alimentum (pretty pricy too) . It's from the makers of Similac, but it's corn based which is easily digestable and used for colicy babies and babies with acid reflux. It was the only forumla that didn't hurt his tummy and make him puke for the longest time. Perhaps ask your ped. about that.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0164 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]