Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> anyone experienced an elevated ca-125?, ca-125...ovarian cancer antigen
momfoolery
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,145

has anyone had an elevated ca-125 for reasons other than cancer? last july i had an elevated ca-125 and several cysts on my ovaries. went back for another blood draw and u/s and the cysts were gone but ca-125 elevated again and a bit higher this time. i have read that there are other factors that could elevate it. both times i was on or about to start AF. i had another blood draw this week, way before AF, so i am hoping the numbers will be down. anyone experience this?

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I haven't had this happen, but I can imagine that it would be a little nerve-wracking and just wanted to offer you some support. This is a great place if you just want to talk.

Did the docs say what the next step would be? I am sure there could be lots of reasons for the higher number, and I think you mentioned cysts. Did they test for PCOS?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lisar
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I dont know what the Ca-125 is but I did have the whole "pre cancer in my cervix"

Good luck
PMEmail Poster

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I have the tests for the ca125 levels every year because my mother was diagnosed with peritoneal carcinomatosa. It's cancer of the lining of the abdomen but it's related to the other gynecological cancers. I'd be very interested in how this turns out. As far as I know, with what little reading I've done on the subject, it is a tumor marker so chances are there are some tumors hiding out somewhere. in her case, there were no real symptoms and when she did go into the dr for the minor symptoms (loss of appetite, slight pain on right side) they thought it was colon cancer (it wasn't) and only when they opened her up to resection her colon did they find the interior of her peritonieal cavity lined with little tumors, they said it looked like sandpaper but it's supposed to be smooth.

I'd push for answers.

Good luck hug.gif

ETA: I found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CA-125
It is best known as a marker for ovarian cancer, but it may also be elevated in other malignant cancers, including those originating in the endometrium, fallopian tubes, lungs, breast and gastrointestinal tract.

CA125 may also be elevated in a number of relatively benign conditions, such as endometriosis,[1] several diseases of the ovary, and pregnancy.[2] It also tends to be elevated in the presence of any inflammatory condition in the abdominal area, both cancerous and benign.

Thus, CA-125 is not perfectly specific for cancer nor is it perfectly sensitive since not every patient with cancer will have elevated levels of CA-125 in the blood.[3] For example, 79% of all ovarian cancers are positive for CA125, whereas the remainder do not express this antigen at all.[4][citation needed]

This post has been edited by kit_kats_mom on Sep 10 2008, 04:28 PM

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
jacobsmama
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

What was the level???

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 10 2008, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

i have never heard of that but I just wanted to offer you some support I hope your levels are down when you go back!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0082 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]