Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ok, question on tarps, etc.
coasterqueen
  Posted: Jun 26 2006, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Ok gentlemen, I want to do this project w/o my DH's help so then I can go back to him with a final cost and he can't deny it. tongue.gif

We have a 'playground' for the children on our back lot that is 20' wide and 30' long. It's right out there in the hot hot sun and so I am wanting to provide that area with shade. We bought a huge tree last year that will eventually provide shade and we've thought about buying a few more, but the idea of tons of leaves in that area in the fall doesn't seem appealing to me. SO I am wanting to provide shade another way. Ideally I'd LOVE a pergola that covers the whole area, BUT that would mean poles midway through the playground and I don't want that. I don't think I'm going to find lumber to expand 30' long or 20' wide without supports somewhere in the middle - that's not what I want. SO I was thinking of burying 4 posts, one in each corner and buying a HUGE mesh shade canvas screen and stretch it to each post. I found one that is 20' x 30' for about $239 and then all I would have is the costs of the 4 posts. Is this possible? Can I stretch a canvas screen that far and not have supports somewhere in the middle? Help me out here, please. happy.gif

ETA a pic of what it looks like (well this was 2 years ago, it has more in it now, and grass around it. happy.gif )

user posted image

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jun 26 2006, 06:21 AM
PMEmail Poster
TheOaf66
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

Member No.: 3,764

well you could do it but it will sag in the middle. I don't really think you could stretch it that tight and have it stay like that. I am not sure where you live but if anything falls on this screen you speak of (snow, leaves, etc) it is going to compromise the structure. I am not sure how you would shade that area in but if you were to put this screen on there and use the 4 poles thing you have to dig the hoes deep enough and I would cement them in the ground to keep them from moving. U are going to need help with the screen to stretch it tight enough and secure it, I just don't know how long that would actually last...u might try heading to home depot or something and talking to someone there for suggestions.

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (TheOaf66 @ Jun 26 2006, 09:27 AM)
well you could do it but it will sag in the middle.  I don't really think you could stretch it that tight and have it stay like that.  I am not sure where you live but if anything falls on this screen you speak of (snow, leaves, etc) it is going to compromise the structure.  I am not sure how you would shade that area in but if you were to put this screen on there and use the 4 poles thing you have to dig the hoes deep enough and I would cement them in the ground to keep them from moving.  U are going to need help with the screen to stretch it tight enough and secure it, I just don't know how long that would actually last...u might try heading to home depot or something and talking to someone there for suggestions.

Yeah I am thinking I will need a support in the middle which is a bummer because I don't want to have something right in the middle, but oh well. The tarp is an extremely heavy duty commerical tarp designed to provide shade outdoors (commercially) so I'm not worried about that surviving. You can attach the tarps so that they can easily be taken down in the winter-type months, which we'd do to preserve the screen as long as we can. And yes, I do know I'd have to concrete the poles in. happy.gif Course I wouldn't be doing this project alone, Dh would be the co-captain on this adventure. tongue.gif I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so he knows exactly how much it would cost, how we are going to do it, etc, so he can't shoot me down. He already shot my pergola set-up down because it cost too much. cool.gif So this is my last option. There are also ways/tools to help stretch it, although these commercial tarps don't have much 'stretch' to them so there really is no need for that. My guess is that we'd have to secure them to the posts before setting the posts permanently. Dh would know more about that than me. We also have a herd of strapping men that live around us to help set the poles. They will have to be very TALL heavy-duty poles to get above the jungle gym anyways.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jun 26 2006, 07:54 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

I kept trying to get a picture in my mind as to your play area, I see now you got the picture on. laugh.gif thanks and even though I am not a guy I would say you should have one in the middle if your going to go that big. I am thinking of another idea that might work, let me keep pondering it and get back to you.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jun 26 2006, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

Here you go.... Professional, sturdy, etc.

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/canopy-....html#267670000

Scroll down to "18'x30' Commercial Grade Canopy".

Just a tad (ok, maybe a bit more than tad) more than you would spend on canvas.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 04:55 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Karen, why couldn't you have a pole in the middle?

Just make it fun - add some "steps" on it for the girls to climb on, like a ladder but instead of the two sides, the pole is in the middle of the steps - attach a thick rope to the beam with a knot at the bottom for them to climb up or swing from, like in a school gym... it could be a fun little addition to your awesome playground

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

Sorry, Karen. That is well outside my area of expertise. Good luck with whatever you decide!

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ Jun 26 2006, 02:12 PM)
Here you go.... Professional, sturdy, etc.

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/canopy-....html#267670000

Scroll down to "18'x30' Commercial Grade Canopy".

Just a tad (ok, maybe a bit more than tad) more than you would spend on canvas.

Ew, I saw those, don't like them, looks somewhat cheap. I'm trying to make this as 'elegant' looking as I can. blush.gif I showed Dh my options I like and he's going to look into the manufacturer's specifications for installation. smile.gif

Rocky - I don't want a pole in the middle because I want openess and a pole right in the middle takes away from that. I know, silly. I just may have to go with a pole. If I do we are going to put up hanging baskets and lighting. May be doing that anyways if this project ever gets off the ground. blush.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0109 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]