Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When you wean?
wcs40110
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,240

How do you decide its time? I've been switching Dakota to 2nd stage formula and mixing it with milk. Shes been spitting up every once in awhile, which she never really did before but its usually about a mouthfull. We did the 2nd stage to help the transition. I know I dont want to have to pump during the day but most days shes only nursing a few times a day anyways. (yesterday once...) I'm just really afraid I'll regret it... but I also want to quit watching everything I eat, be able to drink agian, and not worry if that beer I nursed during the race will give her a yeast infection. wink.gif hehe. Its been about a year now. I only planned on 6 months, and Id ask her ped but I really dont like the lady. (yes i know i need to find a new one then but its hard to find one around here.) Thank... baby.gif
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I think it totally depends on what you're comfortable with. I also think it's nice to follow your baby's lead, or needs, but again, it's your call IMO. The AAP reccomends BF for at least the first 12 months, but my ped/LC just told me that they have now changed that to well into the second year.

To be honest, I have always felt that a beer or two has actually helped up my supply! tongue.gif Really. I never even thought about the yeast factor, but neither of my kids ever had thrush problems. So anyway, I personally have a drink here and there and I eat whatever I want. By a year old, I personally think their bodies can handle it (of course not excessive drinking). wink.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Oct 5 2007, 10:40 AM)
I think it totally depends on what you're comfortable with. I also think it's nice to follow your baby's lead, or needs, but again, it's your call IMO. The AAP reccomends BF for at least the first 12 months, but my ped/LC just told me that they have now changed that to well into the second year.

To be honest, I have always felt that a beer or two has actually helped up my supply! tongue.gif Really. I never even thought about the yeast factor, but neither of my kids ever had thrush problems. So anyway, I personally have a drink here and there and I eat whatever I want. By a year old, I personally think their bodies can handle it (of course not excessive drinking). wink.gif

I always though if you drank you needed to pump and dump? See I'm lost, like I said I didn't BF very long with neither one of my kids. I was back to work and they were both on formula, so drinking wasn't an issue.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

moped
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Oct 5 2007, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Oct 5 2007, 10:40 AM)

To be honest, I have always felt that a beer or two has actually helped up my supply!  tongue.gif Really. I never even thought about the yeast factor, but neither of my kids ever had thrush problems. So anyway, I personally have a drink here and there and I eat whatever I want. By a year old, I personally think their bodies can handle it (of course not excessive drinking).  wink.gif

I always though if you drank you needed to pump and dump? See I'm lost, like I said I didn't BF very long with neither one of my kids. I was back to work and they were both on formula, so drinking wasn't an issue.

Yeah I don't think a couple drinks effects much - and in fact the doc said it wasn't a bad thing at all - but I know people will not like that statement.....that is just me

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
wcs40110
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 5,240

From what I read you can drink a beer, maybe two if you slow about it. It also says that the alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate as it does the rest of your body. Im AMOST 22 and never been to a bar (at night, not working) since I turned 21 cuz I had Dakota 25 days before my birthday. Not that Im a big partier but... ya know...
PMEmail Poster
julesmom
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 323

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&act...detail&ref=1907

"What about alcohol’s effect on the baby? The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that light alcohol consumption is compatible with breastfeeding."
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

While I won't comment on drinking and bf because I don't believe in it at all, it's one's own decision.
As for weaning I think it's just what's comfortable for both you and baby. I think there is a time no matter what, but again that's a matter of personal opinion. With Anthony it was time for us because we went on vacation, were very busy and just didn't have time, after awhile (I was thankful for it) he just wasn't AS interested in it, and therefore cutting it out completely was easy. I also started school while were weaning so that made it easy. He more then enjoyed new foods and eating what everyone had and tolerated milk well.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
BabyOwen427
Posted: Oct 5 2007, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Jazz Hands!!

Member No.: 4,095

The amount of alcohol in your milk is compairable with the amount in your blood. Typically if you are still 'buzzed' then there is still alcohol in your milk. If you don't feel it anymore than it should be out of your system enough that your milk is fine. Your body is constantly filtering and purifying your milk, so it filters out the alcohol out of your milk and blood the same.

As for weaning, it is when you and your baby both are ready. Weaning, IMO, is a decision that doesn't involve the docs, it's a personal one. The docs may have ideas for how to wean when you decide it's time.

I tried the second stage formula but Owen hated it. So we went to whole cows milk. He likes that better. We also are still bfing.
I have heard the second stage forumula is full of sugar.

--------------------
Beth, proud Army wife to Curtis, supermommy to Owen!

user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0101 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]