Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wanting to make the girls sundresses
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

As quickly as the girls destroy their nice (fairly expensive) gymboree dresses all spring/summer long, I've decided it's time I learn how to make some sundresses for them. I'd like to make ones like this: sundress. Kylie got one from here and I love it. Although it's a bit longer than she wants, so I'd take that into consideration. A long time ago I saw fabric at the store that is all gathered on the torso, like in the link, but it seemed like there wasn't enough length for me to use it. That seems like the easiest way to make the dress - buy the fabric already gathered at the top/straight at bottom, then sew it together and add some straps. Is there other fabric out there like that? I've never sewn anything. I can barely sew a button on, seriously, so I'm trying to make this as simple as possible and as cheap as possible.

Any help appreciated. blush.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

have you checked out handcock fabric? they should have some material like you are talking about with the length I can't remember if the stuff I looked at was already hemmed at the bottom if not that is SUPER easy to do!!!

have you tried a pattern?

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Walmart has fabric like you are talking about for little girl's dresses - my MIL has made them for Brooke & Madison and they turn out super cute.

JoAnn Fabrics has them in longer lengths as well - long enough that it could be used for a knee-length dress on me so I'm sure it would be long enough for Kylie.
PMEmail Poster

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I made some for Kaitlin like that last year and we got what your talking about at walmart all you have to do is swe up the back add straps and hem done its actually relly easy and if you dont want to swe it all get witchery tape, for the hem and the seam up the back how ever you will need to sew on straps and thats just a few simple stiches, made the staps so you can tie them into a bow on the sholder.

love2.gif from kaitlin

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

I've been wanting to do that too, but haven't been brave enough yet. tongue.gif Have you looked at patterns? I don't think I'd be able to make even a simple sundress without a pattern, but I'm not very talented. wink.gif JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics, and Wal-mart all have about the same patterns, but in some cases you'd have better luck with fabric choices at either JoAnn or Hancock than at Wal-Mart.

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 20 2009, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Apr 20 2009, 08:01 PM)
I've been wanting to do that too, but haven't been brave enough yet. tongue.gif Have you looked at patterns? I don't think I'd be able to make even a simple sundress without a pattern, but I'm not very talented. wink.gif JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics, and Wal-mart all have about the same patterns, but in some cases you'd have better luck with fabric choices at either JoAnn or Hancock than at Wal-Mart.

you dont need a parten for these, I still have one that I did but its to short for Kaitlin now.....I can try and post a pic of it if you want to see it. Its really easy to make

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Apr 21 2009, 03:31 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

Walmart doesn't carry that length in our area. JoAnn's does. These are super simple to make and JoAnn's generally has a fabric coupon for 40% one fabric order.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 21 2009, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Great! Thanks, ladies. thumb.gif I can't wait to go look. biggrin.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0143 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]