Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Denny's not allergen friendly, Jakob's reaction
boyohboyohboy
  Posted: Sep 25 2008, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I wanted to post for those of you with food allergy kids, that Denny's is the last place you want to go.
we went there for breakfast last sunday, and Jakob has been learning to eat plain pancakes now. He ordered his, and we asked the waitress to please notify the cook that he has a severe egg allergy, and also peanut..we asked her if there were egg in the pancake, she said ok,not a real answer...but we thought, ok..
he got his meal and took one bite, then he started to choke, my husband stood up and went right to him, we thought it was lodged in his throat. he couldnt seem to speak, at this point, I am asking Jake and dh, is he choaking? in a loud voice, and the manager was right behind dh, never said a word or offered to help...then Jake finally throws up, and he says ..EGG.
So we all stop eating then, and are pretty made that what we thought happened was a food contamination...so we pay the bill and leave, no one eats, and jake now is reacting to the food.
so we get home, and I write the dennys corp. I ask them for a list of food allergens and also write what happened..then in tiny print on one page of their website, is a note that says the pancake batter is made on equipment that makes nuts and eggs..
so this lady calls me and asks what happened, and I tell her, and also tell her what I saw on the web site and she says yes..I said dont you think thats something important for your servers and cooks to know? especially if people say they have food allergies and should be aware of this? her response? Our turn over rate is to high to educate them all!
so I not so kindly tell her if my son had had a more serious reaction it would have been more then an email I would have served her with, and thats I am sure when some poor kids is laying on the floor dennys due to a food allergen exposure that saying the turn over rate was to high to educate will be so comforting...

man, some people..
what would have been so hard about hanging a note for the cook to see, to remind them to warn people who mention allergies???

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvmykids
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

How awful!!!!! ITA, they could post signs to remind the staff. I don't care if turnover is high, they can read can't they? growl.gif
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Sep 25 2008, 08:20 PM)
How awful!!!!! ITA, they could post signs to remind the staff. I don't care if turnover is high, they can read can't they? growl.gif

I totally agree! That's horrible!

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

UGH! That's awful Stacy. I'm so sorry it happened. Unfortunately, even a big note in front of the cook wouldn't do much IMO. I'm learning this myself. Remember I wrote the YMCA a long letter and they agreed to post signs in the child area about parents bringing in nuts? Well there was only one 8x11 sign and now it has been posted over with other "announcements". You can't even read it anymore. Out of sight out of mind. I know its not fair, and its not what you want to hear, but I think you have to avoid places like Denny's that serve such a high level of egg products. You can always freeze some homemade pancakes and bring them with you next time! wink.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Sep 26 2008, 03:17 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

If asked they should know but many places put the food allergy things on the menu so you dont have to ask and just a reminder more places are cooking with peanut oil now that is very scary.
If my child was that bad I wouldnt chance having them eat out in public not worth the risk.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
lisar
Posted: Sep 26 2008, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

omg. I cant believe you got a response like that. Thats just wrong. A simple note would be fine.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 26 2008, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

yeah no doubt they don't have to educate they just need signs on their doors and signs in the back and on their menus!!!! growl.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0112 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]