Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Need opinions please - my DH's doctor
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,419

My DH went to the doctor last week because he was having some pains in his chest. The doctor determined it was either acid indigestion or stress. He gave him samples of Prilosec and a prescription for Xanax and also requested bloodwork. The bloodwork came back today and his cholesterol is "a little high" so the doctor prescribed him Lopid.

Am I wrong to think he should talk to his doctor again or get a second opinion before taking all these drugs? (He's tried the Prilosec but neither of the others yet). It just seems fishy to me that the doctor prescribed 2 different medications for the same problem, and then a 3rd on top of that. Plus, my husband is on the larger side, and from everything I've read tonight, if his cholesterol is only a little high a diet & exercise program would be a good first step before resorting to drugs. Not to mention it would probably help with stress as well.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I would personally get a second opinion that is a LOT of medication!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I agree, and I'm surprised a doctor didn't talk to him about diet and exercise. I know the acid reflux can imitate heart attack symptoms which is scary to me because someone could be having heart trouble and blow it off as reflux (acid indigestion).
PMEmail Poster

jacobsmama
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

The Xanax is for his nerves or anxiety and he probably gave him very low dose. The lopid is to get his cholesterol down. If he is overweight that may be why the dr gave him the cholesterol meds instead of saying just do diet and exercise. the Lopid will get the cholesterol down faster where diet and exercise will take a while.

And the acid refulx can be confused with heart trouble. Did they do any testing like stress test on treadmill or anything like that. Because if the prilosec isn't working and they didn't do any of that maybe he should have it done.

Also Pepcid complete taken daily OTC is awesome for acid reflux. HTH

Sorry that was the nurse in me blabbing on! hug.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 25 2007, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

That is a lot of meds. But, I guess my question is ... how did they determine it was acid indigestion? I hope they did an EKG and other tests to rule out heart problems, especially if he is a little overweight. My brother was having problems with pains in his chest. He was actually admitted and they did all kinds of tests on his heart before determining it was either anxiety or reflux. I don't want to scare you, but the heart is nothing to mess around with. I think I'd get a second opinion.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Oct 25 2007, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

thumb.gif Thanks everyone. They did do an EKG, which came back fine. He decided to wait and talk to the Dr. about our concerns before taking anything but the Prilosec. He has a phone appointment in the morning to get some answers.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Oct 25 2007, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

I'm so glad he is questioning this. Keep us posted on what the dr says. I hope he feels better soon. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0176 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]