Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ACK! diarrhea and toddlers...
Teesa
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

blink.gif Our 20 month old son has had diarrhea for close to a week now. He's not feverish or vomiting, tho, and he's eating normally. He's very happy and plays, runs around, and gets into the usual mischief... biggrin.gif I'm more worried now as today (Tues 1st) I've noticed he now has blisters around his anus wacko.gif He gets diaper cream on his bum every time he is changed, that's been going on his his diarrhea has started.

He hasn't been eating anything new, either. Should I be worried? We've been making sure he's getting lots of juice to combat any possible dehydration.

Thanks in advance...

supermom
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

Poor baby....I feel sorry for him and you!

Sometimes "lots of juice" can actually be more of a problem than a help. Will he drink water instead? We have found if we give our son lots of juice, he gets loose bowel movements. I would try water for a day or so and see if that doesn't help.

As for the blisters, you also might want to use a plain washcloth instead of wipes, sometimes they can irritate the already tender skin.

And if it doesn't clear up soon, I think a call to the doc might be in order.

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
Teesa
  Posted: Apr 1 2003, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Supermom,

The babes usually drink 5 sippy cups of juice a day... that's 1 3/4 C of juice [I measured... biggrin.gif ]. They have anywhere between 4 and 6, depending on the day and what they've eaten [anything that's spicy for them or dry like sandwiches]. The juice is all natural and healthy with lots of vitamins... not Koolaid or anything. The babe will drink water, whereas his sister can't stand it. She's like me, although I will drink it if it's ice cold, but prefer not to... yuck! wacko.gif

The baby wipes we use are non alcohol, non perfume and hypo-allergenic. The bum cream is zinc-oxide, we used Penaten cream on the other two... even the wickedest rash was gone in a day with that... but for some reason it doesn't work on the babe. Weird, eh?

I'd love to be able to leave him "hanging free" blink.gif but not too keen on cleaning up any mess like that!! lmao Pee on hardwood floors is one thing... but I know my babe... there'd be footprints EVERYWHERE!! tongue.gif

He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all... even with his rash, but it hurts me just to look at it. sad.gif Will switch to a cloth tho... am willing to try anything within reason to make him feel better!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply!!

TLCDad
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

He Teesa! What does his Ped say?

Anyone tried the pedialyte? Maybe it will help. I see that it may contain aspartame though... at least the old Pedialyte formulation does.
PMEmail Poster
madaise
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 04:09 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 23

I have a 22 mos... he loves to run naked. We also have hardwood floors! When he pees, he'll "stomp" or sit and "splash" it... I keep lots of paper towels on hand, rolling_smile.gif

Nothing to add about the diarhea... I'd keep a close eye on what he's eating and how much, to see if anything could be a contributing factor.

--------------------
Judi
momma to Cas, Em, Tege, Jordan & Ry
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

I guess I maybe didn't explain that right - hmmmm...giving it another shot.

Even though they may be used to juice, when they get started with diarrhea that can help to prolong it too, so switching to water can help to reduce/eliminate it and then when it's gone add back the normal amount of juice.

I know the last time that my kids had it, but this was a while back, so things may have changed, but my ped recommended nothing but bland (crackers, plain rice, plain potatoes, etc, etc) and nothing but water to drink for 24 hours. That seemed to clear up whatever was causing it, and then we just went back on a "normal" diet.

The other thing for his little bum that we used was a ointment called A and D - it was a clear, yellowish and it cleared up some of the worst cases of diaper rash that my kids ever had better than the zinc oxide.

Hope that helps and good luck

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

The other thing for his little bum that we used was a ointment called A and D - it was a clear, yellowish and it cleared up some of the worst cases of diaper rash that my kids ever had better than the zinc oxide.

I agree with this... The Hospital used A and D and gave it to us to take home I love it! My DH likes it better than the white stuff, does not like the look of it.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Aquaphor also works great on diaper rash. I read on another board about using Aquaphor, and I tried it and it worked like a charm. Different things work for different babies, so if the A and D doesn't work, give the Aquaphor a try.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mirinda
  Posted: Apr 21 2003, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hi! I realize this post was almost a month ago but was wondering if the diarrhea was better? The reason being that my 18 month old has chronic diarrhea- it's been for about two months now. We saw the ped last Thursday. I looked up info when it was first starting and chronic diarrhea is the number one complaint to peds from age 3 down. When they eat normally and it is not causing problems(dehydration, malnutrion, etc) it can actually be called "sloppy stool syndrome" Sort of like IBS in adults.

Just wanted to tell you that JUICE WILL MAKE DIARRHEA WORSE! It doesn't matter if it's not Kool-Aid. There is no such thing as "healthy" juice which is why the AAP doesn't even recommend juice- it's pure sugar water and sugar acts as a laxative. My daughter gets one cup of "juice" a day- 3/4 water with 1/4 of white grape juice. My 7 month old doesn't get any!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know about the juice incase the diarrhea is still going. With the sloppy stool syndrome it is actually recommended on cutting back on ALL fluids dramatically. I'd talk with your ped if it's still happening.

Good luck smile.gif

Mirinda(lurking from Ivillage since they screwed up our boards!)
DD Myrick 10.23.01
DS Lance 9.21.02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0162 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]