Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> allergies?
cameragirl21
  Posted: Sep 3 2009, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,205

Ok, so I have asthma and allergies, namely to dust and cats but I live with cats and have been able to for years without a problem. Having a cat seems to have developed some degree of immunity in me. I am not allergic to any plants or molds, which is odd due to my extreme allergy to dust and dust mites.
I take claritin as needed for allergies and I generally don't have to take it often. I have tried a neti pot in the past that worked really well also but I hate using it.
Anyway, lately, I have a really weird symptom--congestion. No sneezing, wheezing, itchy eyess, nothing else usually associated with allergies but I am almost constantly congested and the worst part is that it gets much worse when I lie down. It's like a light switch--my head hits the pillow and suddenly I'm a mouth breather. As a result, I don't sleep well or enough because mouth breathing is uncomfortable for me and leaves me feeling thirsty.
I do have an occasional cough that goes along with the congestion but it's mild and minimal.
I am wondering if this could be a new allergy? I thought about changes I've made recently--got a new laundry detergent, an all natural, eco friendly one but it has a strong fragrance that I love but I thought I may be allergic to the fragrance so I went back to the old stuff and while there is a slight improvement, it didn't solve the problem. I also switched to sensodyne toothpaste but I don't seem to have a problem when brushing my teeth or immediately after so I'm guessing that's not it either. Thought I may have suddenly developed a milk allergy but I looked up milk allergy symptoms and they appear to be more digestive which I don't have.
I am terrified I may be suddenly more allergic (or whatever you call it) to the cats, especially my himmy as she was given to me because her previous owner was horribly allergic to her. My red, I think, is ok as far as allergies go but my himmy is always sleeping on my bed...there is no way I'm parting with these cats but I'm wondering...could this be an allergy if the only real symptom is congestion? My nose is a bit itchy also but I usually have horrible rhinitis when exposed to allergens so if all I'm having is congestion, it would be a very mild allergic reaction for me but I miss nose breathing. Anyone know what this could be? Would my neti pot help just for congestion, anyone who's used one know?
I am just as stuffy outside the house as in but remember that my clothes may have cat hair on them and Idk if the laundry detergent scent may be lingering, like deep in my pillow and mattress cover or whatever.
I have tried to take a claritin for this but it only helps somewhat, doesn't clear it up completely so I'm disinclined to pump myself up with meds if they won't work...anyone know what this could be? And has anyone had any success with homeopathic treatments for allergies or congestion?
Sorry it got long.... blush.gif

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
bluebear
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 22,716

I am actually a lot like that. I used to cough constantly if I would lay down flat. I choke in my sleep and I used to cough SO much when I would go to sleep that I would have to cry myself to sleep. My whole entire bedroom was redone (new bed, new carpet, whole thing vacuumed, new paint) and I would still cough. I used to take Claritin and some other allergy medicine from BJ's but I would become too dependant on it to fall asleep. Nose sprays too, but I still use those. I went to an allergist a couple of times, did skin test for everything and nothing came up except some weeds, which I knew of. It started around October and didn't go away until May. I used to itch my arms raw every fall and most likely it will happen this year too. Maybe me and you are on the same page?

I doubt you are allergic to your cats. You've been around cats for so long that the allergy wouldn't come up suddenly. Before you make an appointment for the doctor, I'd try to spend a few days away from the cats and see if your symptoms continue.
PMAOLYahooMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Maybe its Nasal polyps? they can grow over time, and can be removed. Might be worth a trip to the Dr to find out.
PM

luvmykids
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I have that same problem at night....I don't cough or choke but I just can't breathe through my mouth at night and for the first few hours I'm up in the morning. When people call in the morning they ALWAYS say "Oh, are you sick???"
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Sep 4 2009, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Might be something seasonal down there. Up here ragweed is making me miserable. I don't know what season you're in down there, but your county board of health will know if you've just entered a new allergy season.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
DVFlyer
Posted: Sep 5 2009, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

Have you ever bathed your cats?

From what I understand the pet allergies are caused by either the saliva of the pets or their dander. Washing them might provide some relief.

This also means washing your bedding etc..

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
jessicaKloser
Posted: Jul 1 2010, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,071

Allergies are aberrant allowed arrangement reactions to things that are about controllable to a lot of people. When you're allergic to something, your allowed arrangement afield believes that this actuality is adverse to your body.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0117 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]