Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Left handed
blue72
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231

Luke favors his left hand. I'm teaching him how to write his name. Should I try and get him to use his right hand.
PMEmail Poster
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

I think you should try it with the hand he uses most ... what i am guessing is that is his left!!! It may be a little difficuly if you are right handed!!! smile.gif

BOL

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

I'd give him the pencil and let him choose the hand he's most comfortable with.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster

jacobsmama
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

I believe that Jacob is left handed too. I will give him pencil and he will switch to Left hand every time so I agree to let him use the hand that he chooses! wink.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Brias3
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

I found myself trying to encourage the right hand as soon as my kids started using more and more small motor skills as young toddlers but then I asked myself, why? I suppose it doesn't matter one way or another if they ARE a lefty. Ryan and Aliyah used both hands pretty intermittently until they were learning to write and then favored the right hand on their own. Mason is favoring his left when he colors and uses utensils so we'll see.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Why? What's wrong with being left-handed? tongue.gif Dh and I are both left handed. Kylie is both, but leans more toward left-handed. I just let my kids decide for themselves. wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

Nothing's wrong with the lefties of the world at all! In fact, I had to ask myself that question as I mentioned when I started finding myself trying to "switch" the kids to their right. I don't think it matters one bit! In fact, I find "lefties" to have really nice handwriting as a rule too smile.gif

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
NEWMOM05
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,294

QUOTE (Brias3 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:16 PM)
I find "lefties" to have really nice handwriting as a rule too smile.gif

Okay, that sure that doesn't apply to me and my mom. dry.gif I usualy pass off my bad handwriting as being lefthanded, but I just write bad. It's just an excuse. My Mil is lefthanded too and so is her mom. Kathryn has a good chance of being lefthanded herself. We'll see.

--------------------
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com

Lilypie Baby Ticker
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Mar 27 2006, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Colt uses utensils with his right, colors and draws with his left. We'll see which he really favors later, I guess.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 27 2006, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I agree with letting them choose. Just put the pencil down and let him choose.

Ashley is definitely left-handed. Not sure where she got it from. DH and I are both right-handed.

I thought someone at Ashley's preschool was trying to switch her to her right hand. She could write and cut perfectly with her left, but she came home one day trying to do it with her right hand. She can cut pretty well with her right hand, but she drew a few of her letters backwards when she did it with her right hand. When I brought it up at the parent-teacher conference, the teacher said that they don't encourage one hand over the other. But, maybe Ashley took it too literal when they said, "hold your scissors like this"? Or, she may just be trying to immitate the other kids or trying out her right hand. She's pretty much back to doing everything wiht her left again though.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jcc64
Posted: Mar 27 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Always best to follow their lead. Usually, righties "declare" their preference earlier than lefties, probably b/c there is blatant or subliminal encouragement to be a righty all around them.
My 13 yo ds is a leftie, which has been a HUGE asset to his baseball career. Lefties RULE!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Mar 27 2006, 02:35 PM)
My 13 yo ds is a leftie, which has been a HUGE asset to his baseball career. Lefties RULE!

laugh.gif My brother in law is a HS baseball coach and already wants dibs on O. She's never been anything but a lefty (born of two "righties"~poor child) bats right handed and pitches left handed. Daddy thinks she should go for a golf scholarship, though! cool.gif

This post has been edited by mom21kid2dogs on Mar 29 2006, 11:21 AM

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

jacobsmama Posted on Mar 26 2006, 02:52 PM
  I believe that Jacob is left handed too. I will give him pencil and he will switch to Left hand every time so I agree to let him use the hand that he chooses! 
mom21kid2dogs Posted on Mar 26 2006, 02:33 PM
  I'd give him the pencil and let him choose the hand he's most comfortable with. 

I agree let him write with whatever hand he chooses.

I am ambidextrous. I use both left and right.
redchief
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

There is scientific evidence that supports the theory that people are born with a "predominant side." If I accept that then I have to accept that trying to change a lefty to a righty would have profound negative effects on that person's development. Let them be who they are I say!!!!

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Just talking about this brought back horrible memories of spending an entire summer learning how to write. I used to write like a left-hander and so teachers couldn't read my writing. My parents agreed to sending me to writing sessions over the summer to learn how to write with my left-hand but to look like a right-handers writing or else teachers were saying I'd fail. dry.gif I hated that.

Another thing I hated was I'm left-handed but use right-handed scissors. Teachers would FORCE me to use left-handed scissors and I couldn't cut with them. I'd just sit there and cry.

You just have to let someone be what they are going to be. Forcing them won't help them accomplish that.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (redchief @ Mar 29 2006, 12:52 PM)
There is scientific evidence that supports the theory that people are born with a "predominant side." If I accept that then I have to accept that trying to change a lefty to a righty would have profound negative effects on that person's development. Let them be who they are I say!!!!

Ed, I was completely sure you were going to say that scientific evidence supports the theory that lefties are smarter, funnier, and overall more intelligent .... and that you were a leftie! emlaugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Mar 29 2006, 01:59 PM)

Ed, I was completely sure you were going to say that scientific evidence supports the theory that lefties are smarter, funnier, and overall more intelligent .... and that you were a leftie! emlaugh.gif

laugh.gif THAT would be something I would say. I do that often. rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif Isn't it true? huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Mar 29 2006, 03:00 PM)

laugh.gif THAT would be something I would say. I do that often. rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif Isn't it true? huh.gif laugh.gif

Nope, I'm a righty. There's also evidence, as suggested, that different personality traits tend to be more predominant in lefties than righties, and I seem to remember that creativity is one of them. It's been a very long time since I read on that.

I don't have a single creative bone in my body. laugh.gif My brother is a lefty, and his talents run toward being able to absorb sports data like we do sunshine. dunno.gif

--------------------

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (redchief @ Mar 29 2006, 02:15 PM)

Nope, I'm a righty. There's also evidence, as suggested, that different personality traits tend to be more predominant in lefties than righties, and I seem to remember that creativity is one of them. It's been a very long time since I read on that.

I don't have a single creative bone in my body. laugh.gif My brother is a lefty, and his talents run toward being able to absorb sports data like we do sunshine. dunno.gif

I must have missed the creative gene and so did DH because we both don't have one in our body. rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Mar 29 2006, 03:26 PM)

I must have missed the creative gene and so did DH because we both don't have one in our body. rolling_smile.gif

Whew... I thought I was the only one in PC who was in awe of the other creative talent here! That's okay Karen, we may not be creative, but we can steal other people's ideas!!! happy.gif

--------------------

coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (redchief @ Mar 29 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Mar 29 2006, 03:26 PM)

Whew... I thought I was the only one in PC who was in awe of the other creative talent here! That's okay Karen, we may not be creative, but we can steal other people's ideas!!! happy.gif

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif THAT I do quite well. emlaugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I agree that you should let them go with what they want. I am left handed and DH is right handed. Both our girls asserted their predominent hand very early - Brooke is a lefty and Madison is right handed.
PMEmail Poster
blue72
Posted: Mar 30 2006, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,231

I think he is left handed or maybe he is right handed. I'm confused wacko.gif He changes all the time but always starts with the pencil in his left hand. He says writing is hard. I know teaching him to write has been hard. Should I continue to let him change hands with every stroke of the pencil.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

tongue.gif

This is something I don't have to deal with... I can write with both hands. My handwriting is fancier with my right hand... but I can write just fine with both hands.

I just can't use scissors or cut with a knife with my left hand.

I can play sports right or left handed, but I prefer my right for throwing, my right arm seems to be a little stronger. dunno.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Apr 27 2006, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Mar 29 2006, 03:59 PM)

You know, I have NEVER met a dumb lefty! rolleyes.gif But my boss says then I have never met his sister . . .

BTW, I am right handed as well as DH but my 7 year old writes with the left and plays sports with the right.

DH's family has lefties in it so I guess maybe that is where he got it.

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0130 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]