Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When is the right time to exercise?
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

As a WOHM, I find it very difficult to add exercise into my daily routine and spend time with my family. I can't get up early while my kids are asleep because they will get up when I do, never fails. rolleyes.gif It doesn't seem like I can get a good enough work out in at a lunch hour because there is only one gym near me and that is the same one my boss goes too. The only option there is an aerobics class because I refuse to workout on the equipment w/the 'good ole boys' (boss and all the politicians) and there is only a 30 minute class offered. Soooo my only time to work out is after the girls go to bed, which is about 7:30/8 pm, depending on what time I get Megan to sleep and Dh taking over w/putting Kylie to bed. So that's about an hour to 1.5 hours after I eat dinner.

When I work out at this time am I just burning the food I just ate? Or am I making a difference here at all? I am completely STARVING after I work out and it makes the rest of the night awful to get through til bedtime. wacko.gif

Anyways, is working out after you eat a dinner a bad thing? I swear since I started working out I've not lost a pound, I've only gained a couple of pounds and the scale seems like it's not going to go down at all:(. The scale has showed some decrease every day up except when I was on my Memphis trip and the Christmas holiday. Now it just seems to be going up up up and I'm not eating more sad.gif.

Edit to say: And I'm not noticing any inches coming off either. My clothes aren't fitting any loose-r, I know that.

This post has been edited by boogabearzmom on Jan 17 2006, 09:42 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

maybe you're just building muscle for now? I know that with exercise - the scale always goes up a few pounds before going down.

The ideal time, supposedly, to exercise if to finish 30 minutes before eating. Something about it makes your metabolism go faster and you don't absord as much fat... or something like that.

Do you eat as a family? Or in shifts? Cuz if you eat after the girls, you could exercise while they're eating.... then you can eat afterwards

dunno.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

I cannot workout on an empty stomach or I will vomit (TMI. I know wink.gif ) I work out at night 2-3 days a week because it works with my schedule. I find that I have to eat something within 30-45 minutes after working out so I try to grab something high in protein. Either a shake or some PB usually works. I've only been keeping track for about 3 weeks, but it's working for me. I've dropped some weight and lost some inches in my thighs and tummy.
Also, drink your water before, during, and after your workout. You may need to change up what you are doing or increase the intensity of your workout for a couple of time to kick your body into gear.

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

Well its seems that my only time I can get a work out in is after Kait is in bed so I can usually get started around 9p. As for it being the best I dont know. I just can get myself out of bed eariler in the am to work out. I woudl love to befroe dinner but I woudl never be able to eat then. I guess it all depends on your body. I do think its working for me as I have felt my clothes get a bit looser, even though the sacale is not dropping as fast as I woudl like its still going down so I guess its workign for me.

I guess I did not answer your qwuestion....sorry

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Rocky - to answer your question we eat as family, nothing else is an option for us except extraordinary circumstances.

I am changing up my routines with different work out tapes. Some are 30 minutes long and some are almost 60 minutes long. I was really into them, giving them all I got, then I hurt my back and neck so I slowed down. Now the past few times I've been so down about my weight that I get 20 minutes into the tape and just can't seem to give it the effort it needs. sad.gif

I don't know if I'm building muscle, I know there is muscle underneath the fat, though. I can feel the muscle under there. I guess I just have so much fat that it needs to get through first. wacko.gif

Ugh, I wish I had a treadmill again, but I don't want to incur that cost, so that's out. I guess I'll just muddle through until spring hits.

Thanks everyone.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

It's true, eating thirty minutes AFTER you work out is best. Your body is still burning calories even when you sit down for a meal, so figure you're burning while you're eating. Plus, it helps you to not overeat IMO. I've always heard that you should also stop your workout at least an hour or so before you go to bed. Again, your body is still on overdrive after a workout which causes you to be more allert. It's hard to go to sleep for some people. But if it's your only option, it may work for you.

When I worked in an office, there was a gym just down the street that I could walk to. My best bet was a class during lunch or around 1pm. Or if I had to, I wold go right after work. I almost always took a class because it helped me stay focused. Can you take your lunch any later? Maybe when the boss and other colleagues aren't there? I had a class at 1pm and although it didn't always work with my schedule/meetings, I made it my little "meeting" I HAD to run off to sometimes. My boss understood that...besides, she knew I was more pleasant (lol) after I had my workout!

I hope something works out for you!

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (mysweetpeaWil @ Jan 17 2006, 01:29 PM)
It's true, eating thirty minutes AFTER you work out is best. Your body is still burning calories even when you sit down for a meal, so figure you're burning while you're eating. Plus, it helps you to not overeat IMO. I've always heard that you should also stop your workout at least an hour or so before you go to bed. Again, your body is still on overdrive after a workout which causes you to be more allert. It's hard to go to sleep for some people. But if it's your only option, it may work for you.

When I worked in an office, there was a gym just down the street that I could walk to. My best bet was a class during lunch or around 1pm. Or if I had to, I wold go right after work. I almost always took a class because it helped me stay focused. Can you take your lunch any later? Maybe when the boss and other colleagues aren't there? I had a class at 1pm and although it didn't always work with my schedule/meetings, I made it my little "meeting" I HAD to run off to sometimes. My boss understood that...besides, she knew I was more pleasant (lol) after I had my workout!

I hope something works out for you!

Exercise makes me hungry and SLEEPY so I have no problem going to sleep. happy.gif

As far as when working out, I can take lunch at anytime, but I never know when my boss is going to go and it wouldn't matter when he goes per se, there's also all the other assoc execs, lobbyists, and legislators that go there and I'm no way going to work out with them around. No way! It's 'THE' place for all those types of peeps to work out and they go all times of the day. I will sacrifice weight loss if it means having to work out around them. happy.gif Hard to explain, but I don't want to be that close to them, lol.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
booey2
  Posted: Jan 17 2006, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

Sorry Karen, I too have wondered the answer to this question. I believe that anytime is a good time as long as you are doing it. I don't have the time to do it in the morning so I do it at night and have no problem falling asleep at night. I did try the early morning routine but once the dark winter started I can't even get myself out of bed to go to work let a lone workout. So I believe that the best time is whenever you make the time.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0171 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]