Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> need some potty training help
boyohboyohboy
  Posted: Oct 14 2008, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

Jakob is going to be three soon, and its so time to get him potty trained, but he has other ideas.
He does know when he has to go pee, he has told me a few times, and we take him and he goes..but sometimes due to food allergies he cant always tell he is going to go poop.
and he most of the time has symptoms of irritable bowel due to his food sensativities..
but other times, he just doesnt care.
I have spent the day with him today, in underware, and he has not made it to potty since this morning. He just doesnt care if his pants are wet or not.

I tried a reward, he doesnt really care.
he wants a piggy bank and I offered to let him pick one out if he just goes one day dry, but he hasnt.

any ideas?

I think his inability to stay dry of at least pee is just stubborness.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

anyone have an idea?

--------------------

5littleladies
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

Honestly the thing that worked best with Alyssa was to stop pressing the issue. She was being soooo stubborn-she would be in panties all day, and on the potty for (literally) hours at a time and just would not go and we were both very frustrated, so for her sake and mine I decided to wait a month or so. When I was getting ready to start her again about a week or so beforehand I started telling her that she was going to start using the potty soon so she was as prepared as a 3 year old could be. happy.gif We started less than 2 weeks ago and she is completely trained-nights and all. She has an accident every once in awhile but that is to be expected.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN

A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:33 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

sticker chart? Have you tried to BIG celebration everytime he goes sing the pee pee song blush.gif emlaugh.gif do a little dance, clap and hooray for him. Alyssa LOVED it!! don't force him it will happen just keep trying and encouraging him.. set a timer and make him go like every 30minutes

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I have started this potty training thing ever since he was 2yrs old. but he kept resisting so we backed off, but he is getting to old to just let him go.
i am going to try the sticker chart.
we always make a big deal when he goes on the toilet.
I am also going to get a potty chair as much as I hate to but he seems to be to lazy to go in the bathroom when he is playing or watching tv.
i have told him it makes him stinky and yucky when he messes his pants but he just smiles at me.
and i also tried making him shower each time he had an accident because he hates showers, but that didint work.

--------------------

A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

bless your heart!! We had trouble with Alyssa and it seemed like everytime she got to watch tv or was playing she would have an accident so when she did that the tv got turned off or she had to sit on her bed for about 10minutes or so and we would have a calm talk about why she did that and that she knows she needs to start using the potty like mommy and daddy eventually she potty trained

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (A&A'smommy @ Oct 15 2008, 11:50 AM)
bless your heart!! We had trouble with Alyssa and it seemed like everytime she got to watch tv or was playing she would have an accident so when she did that the tv got turned off or she had to sit on her bed for about 10minutes or so and we would have a calm talk about why she did that and that she knows she needs to start using the potty like mommy and daddy eventually she potty trained

thats kinda what I wanted to know if at this age it was ok to kinda dicipline a little bit for the accidents.
we just started the sticker chart. but when I asked him to repeat back to me why we have stickers he couldnt.
i dont think it will work if he doesnt know what the stickers reward him for..
we will keep talking and trying

--------------------

luvmykids
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Does he ever go in the bathroom with you and/or DH? Maybe that would help him make the connection with the stickers, it sounds so corny but maybe you could give everyone a sticker for going potty until he gets it.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 15 2008, 12:09 PM)

thats kinda what I wanted to know if at this age it was ok to kinda dicipline a little bit for the accidents.
we just started the sticker chart. but when I asked him to repeat back to me why we have stickers he couldnt.

yeah the sticker chart didn't work for Alyssa until she was a little older and we were night training. Maybe try rewarding him after each time he uses the potty with an M&M and two M&MS for number 2. Thats what Kate on Jon & Kate plus 8 did and it worked for her. We tried that too and it worked better than the sticker chart and we just eventually phased it out

edited to add we didn't use M&M's we let her choose a treat out of her treat bucket

This post has been edited by A&A'smommy on Oct 15 2008, 02:40 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
jacobsmama
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

WHen I started potty training Jacob he was right before 2 years old. We put the potty chair in the bathroom and always used diapers. He started taking the diapers off..Does he do that?

When he started doing that, we started trying to train him. if he had underwear on he would pee or poop in them..BUT if I just let him run naked he wouldn't pee on his feet or the floor he hated it..weird? I dont know but it worked

So I spent like a sold month with a naked kid! emlaugh.gif Unless people came over. My mom told me never to put a pulll up on him at night just to explain to him what he needed to do if he had to go and I did and he never wet the bed.

Maybe one time ever. Maybe he was too easy...BUT the reason I think so was because he was naked alot and wouldn't pee on the floor or himself.

So maybe let him go naked and see if he does??? blahblah.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

we are trying naked tomorrow.
the sticker chart didnt work. he just kept throwing them on the floor. and when he had an accident and i said no sticker this time, next time your pants are dry and you go on the potty, and he got mad.

i hate to keep changing things and not being consistant.
i also read on the internet about trying diapers that are two small so he sees that he is a big boy and the diapers are to little for him.

urg! anyone want a three yr old to potty train and then send him back? rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

jacobsmama
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 15 2008, 09:52 PM)
we are trying naked tomorrow.
the sticker chart didnt work. he just kept throwing them on the floor. and when he had an accident and i said no sticker this time, next time your pants are dry and you go on the potty, and he got mad.

i hate to keep changing things and not being consistant.
i also read on the internet about trying diapers that are two small so he sees that he is a big boy and the diapers are to little for him.

urg! anyone want a three yr old to potty train and then send him back? rolling_smile.gif

I will take him! emlaugh.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Oct 17 2008, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Oct 15 2008, 11:09 AM)

Tanner was disciplined for accidents that were not legitimate accidents. 'Accidents' out of laziness were not acceptable. Accidents that were really honest accidents were ok, and would happen understandably-so. At that point, he was told accidents would happen and it's ok...but to ignore our body signs because we were too busy to care...not ok here.

What about planning a potty party??? After he is dry for a week, have a potty party at his favorite place to eat or something. Have him help plan it and have a target date.

A friend of mine told her child she just wouldn't turn 3 until she was potty trained. No party, no presents, no birthday until she did it. May be harsh, but it worked like a charm for her.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
msoulz
Posted: Oct 17 2008, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (Boo&BugsMom @ Oct 17 2008, 10:39 AM)
A friend of mine told her child she just wouldn't turn 3 until she was potty trained. No party, no presents, no birthday until she did it. May be harsh, but it worked like a charm for her.

Now THAT sounds like it may work! What do you think Stacy? With no big family gathering in the works you can "delay" his birthday until, well, he is 18!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 17 2008, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (msoulz @ Oct 17 2008, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (Boo&BugsMom @ Oct 17 2008, 10:39 AM)
A friend of mine told her child she just wouldn't turn 3 until she was potty trained.  No party, no presents, no birthday until she did it.  May be harsh, but it worked like a charm for her.

Now THAT sounds like it may work! What do you think Stacy? With no big family gathering in the works you can "delay" his birthday until, well, he is 18!! tongue.gif

honestly...with this one lately, I would rather speed it up to his 18th birthday party next month and just send him on his way rolleyes.gif

but I know I cant do that till he is potty trained tongue.gif

--------------------

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0266 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]