Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Poor Lauren. She's not adjusting to Preschool at, all.
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Group: Members
Member No.: 135

She is breaking my heart. bawling.gif We started her last Monday and she was excited. Every day we picked her up a little later but she threw a fit each morning. This week has been the same deal. Every morning when I start to get the girls dressed she starts crying "I don't wanna go to school". Then she cries the whole way to school. Then she cries when I take her to her class and she clings to me and screams when I walk away. Even if her teacher is hugging her.

I've checked to see if she's being teased, hurt or anything like that and she's not. She says she just misses me. sad.gif I told her I miss her too but I'll see her every night and we can have special Mommy Lauren time in the evenings but that's not cutting it.

She has her bear, I kiss her palms 10 times each so she has mommy kisses when she needs them...I don't know what else to do.

I start work in another week and I don't know if I can handle her not adjusting to daycare. bawling.gif any tips?

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

first off hug.gif

how long does it take her to calm down after you leave?

I have suggestions but I need to know the answer to that first.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Usually just a few minutes, but her teacher said she has "spells" throughout the day like before nap, after lunch, after nap etc. It's the times she's used to cuddling with me so it's hard for her. She's such a cuddle bug. bawling.gif Her teachers try to cuddle her but they aren't me

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

awww that is so sad. here is one thing you can do, its helped Kaitlin when she really misses me. is she allowed a stuffed animal or somthign she can cuddle? if so take something you have worn for a few hours and put it on it so she has your smell that can be a big comfort. Also maybe she need distraction for when you leave, a few times I had to take extra time and get Kaitlin settled with a book, coloring or some other fun thing to do at the school and then while she was involved with that I would kiss her on the cheek and say 'mommy will be back soon, I love you, bye for now'.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif
I dont know what to say. Lexi didnt do that to me. But I am sure its breaking your heart.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley had no problem for most of preschool. But, then all of a sudden, she went through some separation anxiety and cried for me not to leave her. (Just as she was about to start Kindergarten too). So, we made a special "magic" rock. We colored and painted it together, and then Daddy kissed it and Mommy kissed it. We wrote I love you and signed our names on it. She put it in her pocket and could take it out anytime she missed us... .and the magic would help her feel better. It seemed to help quite a bit.

I hope it helps, I know it can be heartbreaking! hug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
bawoodsmall
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

hug.gif hug.gif Trust me I feel your pain. Aiden still does it and he has been going to that daycare for 2 years. He just really wishes I would stay there with him and play I think. Someone told me that it is very important not to let them see you upset about the situation which I think is very true because then they think there is a reason to be upset kwim. I think the rock thing dee dee did is a fantastic idea if it works. I dont think it would fly at our daycare because they could put it in their mouth and choke and stuff. I really hope she starts to adjust but she may not...and that is ok too. As long as she is fine after a bit and has fun she will be ok. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
jacobsmama
Posted: Aug 14 2008, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

I also had the same problem with Jacob last year. Do they call you early to come and get her? The reason I ask is because with Jacob the first day they called me and asked me to come get him because he was just unconsolable. When I got there he was like I knew you would come get me. It was a terrible thing to start.

So each time he would cry he would try and cry hard enough and long enough that I would c ome and get him. After a week of realizing I wasn't coming ot get him early and that he was going to have to cry until I got back. He totally changed.

He started to embrace preschool and loved it. He is now counting down the days to when he is gonna start his last year of PREK. I hope things get better for you.

I know it is hard right now, BUT she is just seeing if she can get out of having to do this. WHen she realizes she has to go, it will all change. I promise. hug.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 15 2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Usually it takes up to 2 months for a child to adjust at this age. Hang in there. It will get better with consistancy. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
jcc64
Posted: Aug 20 2008, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

It's not at all unusual, Cary, not that it makes it feel any better. I've been through it with 2 of my 3 kids, and it's awful. However, it's work she needs to do, and better now than in kindergarten. Very often, kids do ok in the beginning, and then freak out a month or two after the novelty has worn off. A good preschool understands all of this behavior and will support both of you through the transition. I know it sucks Cary, but try to mask your own ambivalence and convey a sense of confidence that she CAN do this. If she senses any wavering on your part, she's gonna jump on it.
Good luck and KUP.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0141 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]