Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> nap issues, now spilling over into night
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: Jan 26 2009, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

So Waylon is almost 10 wks old. and I've been trying to make sure he's getting enough sleep, esp during the day. Well, yesterday he slept in his swing from 9:30 - 11:30, then ate and played a little, falling asleep in the car seat for about 15 minutes. At 1:10 we had to get him out of the car, so he woke up of course. He then went back to sleep around 2:40 after being quite fussy and slept until 4:30 (my sister was holding him).
That evening at home it was so hard to get him to sleep. I ended up with him on the couch with me, and until that time he only dozed off for 10-15 min before waking again. I gave him gas drops, massaged his tummy, but nothing seemed to make a difference.
So, he slept with me for about an hour, then it's bed time. Usually he goes to bed at night just fine, but last night was awful. He cried and flailed around almost non-stop until a little after 1 this morning. Finally he fell asleep on my chest, and I slid him onto his side in his bed where he finally slept a little. He woke up at 5:45 to eat and then went back to sleep again, with only a little fussing.
Before he finally got to sleep at 1:20 I had tried everything - shh-ing, patting him, singing, humming, rocking the bassinet, more gas drops, a nice massage... nothing worked. He just refused to sleep unless I was holding him.
It's now time for a nap (according to the same schedule from yesterday, at least) so I put him in his swing since he seems to like it. He's been in it for almost 20 min now and about 10 min ago he started fussing. Not all out screaming, which is why I'm trying to let him work through it. Just fussing off and on.
Anyway, I'm at a loss.... am I trying to make him sleep too much? Or is he just to worn out he can't sleep? Or should I let him CIO already? I don't know, and I'm too tired at this point today to think straight.
Any advice would be great.
And sorry this was so long. blush.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 26 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

have you tried swaddling? mine used to flail and startle them selves awake. I think most people don't think to swaddle a older baby, but I swaddled mine until they were at least 9 months old. I think they liked the warmth and security of it. With Al I used to have to warm her bassinet / crib with a heating blanket before I put her down too. ( little princess didn't like cold sheets. rolling_smile.gif )
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Jan 26 2009, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

We do swaddle, but he pitches a fit if his arms are swaddled, too, so it's just from his underarms down. In his bassinet we have those positioners, so they help him feel snug, too.
He finally went to sleep in his swing from 10 until just 5 minutes ago, so that was about 10:55 when he woke up. Other than having the hiccups he seems to feel good... was all smiles when I went to get him.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0299 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]