Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> For those that keep track..., Top bottle tainted...
CantWait
Posted: Feb 7 2008, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Feb 7 2008, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

I wonder why it didn't give bottle manufacturer's names, like Avent, Dr. BRown, etc...? unsure.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
HuskerMom
Posted: Feb 7 2008, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Feb 7 2008, 02:52 PM)
I wonder why it didn't give bottle manufacturer's names, like Avent, Dr. BRown, etc...? unsure.gif

I think it said they were made by Avent, Playtex and Gerber.

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 04:36 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

It's not just in baby bottles, it's in water bottles, plastic food storage containers, etc. We've switched to reusable water bottles (SIGG), and glass food storage. The chemicals that are allowed in products is ridiculous!

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
luvbug00
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 04:42 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

oh lovely dry.gif which is why i have already bought glass bottles so when the price on those skyrocket i'll have some already. laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Our Lil' Family @ Feb 8 2008, 08:11 AM)
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

Snopes is hardly the expert on things. Nobody knows what long-term damage plastics can do to people. I don't want to take that chance. Not to mention they take years to break down, then seep into the groundwater contaminating everything. So that's another reason why our family avoids as much plastics as we can.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

grrrr growl.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
My2Beauties
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

I love Snopes. So evidently this is a hoax. Thanks.

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Feb 8 2008, 09:46 AM)
I love Snopes. So evidently this is a hoax. Thanks.

No, it's not a hoax.

http://www.bisphenolafree.org/

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
grapfruit
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 8 2008, 08:06 AM)
If you BREASTFEED, the way nature INTENDED, this wouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe less babies wouldn't die from not being breastfed.

Don't forget that not EVERYONE can breastfeed. None of my SILs were able to breast feed entirely. One not at all. They other two couldn't produce enough milk b/c they still had to work to provide for their family and couldn't pump enough.

Breast feeding may be BEST, but it's not always best for the family.

I know you feel strongly about. But remember there are people that would love to breast feed and can't. And why you say things like that, it's hurtful.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
jcc64
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

The harmful effects of toxins in plastics are well established by reputable scientific studies- ones not produced by the plastics or chemical companies, or by the useless gov't agencies run by political lackeys. There are studies after studies confirming it. Listen, when I was a kid, which occurred long before alot of you were alive rolling_smile.gif , very few people ever got cancer. I knew exactly 1 woman during my entire childhood who had breast cancer. Similiarly, I knew exactly 1 kid, ONE, who had asthma. And autism, barely anyone even knew what it was. Now, I didn't live in a bucolic, unspoiled paradise- I lived in New Jersey- 15 miles north of NYC and the most densely populated and highly polluted states in the country. The reason I bring this up now is b/c we all know how very different children's health is now. Every other kid has asthma, the rates of autism have skyrocketed, and I can't tell you how many people I know who've had or have cancer. Not old people- but people who should be enjoying good health in the prime of their lives. Why is this so? What's changed in twenty years? Alot, but you cannot ignore the environment, and what sorts of harmful but infinitely convenient products we've surrounded ourselves with in our homes. Plastic is NOT, I repeat, not stable when heated in a microwave. And this is from the industry itself, not from some left wing hippie nutcases. But it's so much easier to heat baby bottles that way, and so people choose to ignore the information or believe it's not true. Why take the chance, guys?
And LeaAnn, they did mention the affected brands in the article. They also mentioned that playtex does in fact sell a line of nipples w/o that particular chemical. I believe they said they are sold through Whole Foods??? I'm sure you can find them somewhere online too.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

jcc64
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

And I do think we should try to stay on topic here and not turn it into yet another battle of the breastfeeding vs ff moms. Nature may have intended for us to bf, but like it or not, our world is anything but "natural" now, and it's not always feasible for some of us to bf. Let's not attack each other, or imply that ff is somehow an affront to the sanctity of motherhood. Bf doesn't work out for everyone, let's just leave it at that.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 8 2008, 08:26 AM)
The harmful effects of toxins in plastics are well established by reputable scientific studies- ones not produced by the plastics or chemical companies, or by the useless gov't agencies run by political lackeys. There are studies after studies confirming it. Listen, when I was a kid, which occurred long before alot of you were alive rolling_smile.gif , very few people ever got cancer. I knew exactly 1 woman during my entire childhood who had breast cancer. Similiarly, I knew exactly 1 kid, ONE, who had asthma. And autism, barely anyone even knew what it was. Now, I didn't live in a bucolic, unspoiled paradise- I lived in New Jersey- 15 miles north of NYC and the most densely populated and highly polluted states in the country. The reason I bring this up now is b/c we all know how very different children's health is now. Every other kid has asthma, the rates of autism have skyrocketed, and I can't tell you how many people I know who've had or have cancer. Not old people- but people who should be enjoying good health in the prime of their lives. Why is this so? What's changed in twenty years? Alot, but you cannot ignore the environment, and what sorts of harmful but infinitely convenient products we've surrounded ourselves with in our homes. Plastic is NOT, I repeat, not stable when heated in a microwave. And this is from the industry itself, not from some left wing hippie nutcases. But it's so much easier to heat baby bottles that way, and so people choose to ignore the information or believe it's not true. Why take the chance, guys?
And LeaAnn, they did mention the affected brands in the article. They also mentioned that playtex does in fact sell a line of nipples w/o that particular chemical. I believe they said they are sold through Whole Foods??? I'm sure you can find them somewhere online too.

Oh absolutely, I agree thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Calimama
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 8 2008, 08:30 AM)
And I do think we should try to stay on topic here and not turn it into yet another battle of the breastfeeding vs ff moms. Nature may have intended for us to bf, but like it or not, our world is anything but "natural" now, and it's not always feasible for some of us to bf. Let's not attack each other, or imply that ff is somehow an affront to the sanctity of motherhood. Bf doesn't work out for everyone, let's just leave it at that.

Well said!! thumb.gif

This post has been edited by Bellasmommy10 on Feb 8 2008, 11:23 AM
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 8 2008, 11:26 AM)

Thank you Jeanne. You always say things so eloquently happy.gif I never ever heat bottles BTW, I always just use warm water. Does heating them have something to do with the chemical?

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
jcc64
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Idk about that specific chemical, tbh, LeaAnn. I just know that so many people don't think twice about heating in plastic- with frozen convenience foods and all, and I can't tell you how many friends and family members of mine who heat their babies' bottles in the micro, and it drives me NUTS!
I am saying this in a very unscientific way, but my understanding is that once the surface of the plastic has been compromised in some way, either by heating or getting scratched or expanded/contracted (in the case of freezing or reusing water bottles), or just used too often, the chemical compounds that made the plastic, many of which are known carcinogens, can leech directly into the food/beverage being consumed.

--------------------
Jeanne

PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

this was on our local news last night about the bottles and sippy cups but like Jeanne, i have heard about the dangers of plastic since i was a kid. convenience comes at a price.

as always, well said Jeanne.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Jackie012007
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,017

ohmy.gif oh no, I heated my Avent bottles in the microwave - my first pediatrician said there was nothing wrong with it as long as you checked the temperature and mixed it well!!!! Should I be worried???? sad.gif

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Thanks Jeanne.

Breastfed doesn't just mean from the breast. Nature might have meant for boobs to be the tap..but nature evolves all the time, and well..sometimes you just have to use a glass, ya know?

Or, rather, a bottle. rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

yes breast feeding is by far the best for the baby BUT i have to say this there are some reasons why some can not breast feed. Jordan i breastfed and he was not taking in milk as i thought he was (no one guided me in how to do it and i was very young and alone so i was not too smart when it came to BF) so i continued as i always did. Well he got sicker and actually dehydrated and ended up in teh hospital along with the disease he had it just made it wiorse. Well that pretty much screwed me mentally! so when Jenna was born i tried but a few days into it i got major anxiety and worried she wasnt taking in minlk and i started to get scared. So i stopped and bottle fed. I know she shoudl of been breast fed and i really regret it BUt that was my issue! Thsi time around when me and marcus have a baby he will be there for me and his sister and mom as well. they will guide me into how i should be doing it and be very supportive and I will not give up. Im goign to try to overcome the anxiety. So please dont think Im choosing one baby over the other in the milk i chose to give BUt if anyone lived my horrific experience with jordan they may uinderstand a bit better:( sorry but i just had to get that out.. Im done!

This post has been edited by JennasMommy on Feb 9 2008, 09:28 AM

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
mummy2girls
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Feb 8 2008, 11:30 AM)

well stated!!!!!!!

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
bawoodsmall
Posted: Feb 9 2008, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

QUOTE (JennasMommy @ Feb 9 2008, 06:47 AM)
BUt if anyone lived my horrific experience with jordan they may uinderstand a bit better:( sorry but i just had to get that out.. Im done!

hug.gif It will be easier this time. You will have a support system.
I am getting so sick of worrying about everything...when god wants me...he is going to do it regardless.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0191 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]