Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mollie as well as others regarding the, DHA/ARA thread, it's false
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

See why you can't believe everything you read on the internet:

http://www.milkismilk.com/blog/2005/03/cor...airy-interests/

The definition of cornucopia is a horn of plenty or a horn-shaped basket usually full of grain and fruit that is a representation of abundance. There was something about some recent news reports that included quotes from a group called the Cornucopia Institute which didn’t seem right - let’s just say they didn’t smell like fresh fruits and grain, more like B.S.

A “non-profit” institute by the same name as our horn of plenty is making news attacking certain dairy producers; however, a peak behind the scenes suggests the Cornucopia Institute may merely be a marketing arm for a competing dairy interest - Organic Valley

They are posting false information basically! rolleyes.gif I had a feeling. Companies like Nestle, Enfamil, Similac etc...they are out to make a buck sure...but they aren't that daggone stupid!

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

Thanks for passing this on, I've been guilty of assuming everything I read online was true blush.gif until I learned to look at who is posting it and what their motive is wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Leanne, the link isn't working but I looked at their news site and they seem to be the "anti organic' for the conventional dairies group. Of course they wouldn't like a pro organic group. LOL If you read both sites then you can't believe any of it. tongue.gif The growth hormones in milk are linked to early onset adolecence of girls but this site says it is plan wrong and that the hormones are added just to make more milk.

Now I"m just really confused. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN

Calimama
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

I think you forgot the D in the dairy part of the link!
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Here's what I've found.

regarding the Milkismilk site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Global_Food_Issues
The Center for Global Food Issues is a project of the Hudson Institute, a conservative U.S. think tank. The Center has received criticism from the Union of Concerned Scientists[1] and other organizations.[citation needed] Dennis Avery is the Director.[2] His son, Alex Avery, is the Director of Research and Education.[3]

Dennis T. Avery (born 24 October 1936) is the director of the Center for Global Food Issues at the Hudson Institute, where he edits Global Food Quarterly. A food policy analyst for the past 30 years, Dennis Avery began his career with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, served on the staff of President Lyndon Johnson’s National Advisory Commission of Food and Fiber, and, prior to joining Hudson, was the senior agricultural analyst for the U.S. Department of State[1]. He is the author of several books. Avery is a fervent supporter of biotechnology, pesticides, irradiation, industrial farming and free trade[2]. The New York Times wrote about him:"Dennis T. Avery wants organic food to go away. And he doesn't care what it takes." [3] According to critics he is the source of a claim that organic food is more dangerous to eat than food produced using chemical pesticides because of usage of animal manure in organic farming[4][5]. He is the father of Alex Avery who also work for the Hudson Institute.

So...he has an agenda.

off to research cornucopia

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Ok, see, there is the thing....when everyone has an agenda, it's not a matter of right or wrong, just who you believe laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 25 2008, 02:22 PM)
Ok, see, there is the thing....when everyone has an agenda, it's not a matter of right or wrong, just who you believe laugh.gif

Exactly, that's why it's bad to always trust the net tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

BTW. Finding information online and attempting to validate is truthfullness is what my degree is basically all about. I totally dont' believe everything I read on the web. LOL This is fun though.

Also, how this turned into a discussion of milk is beyond me but my mother was told by her nutritionist and her cancer dr that she should lay off of dairy and sugar since both are known to increase cancer cell growth. Now, I don't know how to take that but during my research today, I've found supporting claims. Interesting.

Ok, back to work. rolling_smile.gif

ps. I'm going to have to go pick up my husband from the airport soon..and I'm sad. I'm having fun here.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornucopia_Institute

The Cornucopia Institute is a farm policy advocacy group based in Cornucopia, Wisconsin, they act as governmental and corporate watchdogs in the organic arena. Much of their focus over the past few years has been on "factory farms" (milking 2000-10,000 cows) producing organic milk. It was cofounded by by Mark Kastel and Will Fantle, and has made news as a critic of Aurora Organic Dairy and Dean Foods' Horizon Organic.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 12:28 PM)
BTW. Finding information online and attempting to validate is truthfullness is what my degree is basically all about. I totally dont' believe everything I read on the web. LOL This is fun though.

Also, how this turned into a discussion of milk is beyond me but my mother was told by her nutritionist and her cancer dr that she should lay off of dairy and sugar since both are known to increase cancer cell growth. Now, I don't know how to take that but during my research today, I've found supporting claims. Interesting.

Ok, back to work. rolling_smile.gif

ps. I'm going to have to go pick up my husband from the airport soon..and I'm sad. I'm having fun here.

What kind of degree do you have, if you don't mind? That sounds like a cool job! thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 25 2008, 03:36 PM)

Ok, back to work.  rolling_smile.gif

What kind of degree do you have, if you don't mind? That sounds like a cool job! thumb.gif

I have my degree in Library and Information studies from FSU. If i went on and got my masters I could be a librarian. thumb.gif We had a few courses about web based information and it was my focus during my studies. I just find the Internet to be so facinating. Many of the people in my program are now in IT since it was mainly research skills and software. Kind of a computer science degree without the programming.

And I swear I'm not trying to be one sided. I just haven't found out much more info about cornucopia or it's founders yet. I'm sure it's out there it's just buried and I have to go now. rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by kit_kats_mom on Jan 25 2008, 11:44 AM

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Calimama
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 11:43 AM)

I have my degree in Library and Information studies from FSU. If i went on and got my masters I could be a librarian. thumb.gif We had a few courses about web based information and it was my focus during my studies. I just find the Internet to be so facinating. Many of the people in my program are now in IT since it was mainly research skills and software. Kind of a computer science degree without the programming.

It sounds like a really cool job!
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jan 25 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 25 2008, 03:36 PM)

Ok, back to work.  rolling_smile.gif

And I swear I'm not trying to be one sided. I just haven't found out much more info about cornucopia or it's founders yet. I'm sure it's out there it's just buried and I have to go now. rolling_smile.gif

laugh.gif No problemo

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 01:06 PM)

The definition of cornucopia is a horn of plenty or a horn-shaped basket usually full of grain and fruit that is a representation of abundance. There was something about some recent news reports that included quotes from a group called the Cornucopia Institute which didn’t seem right - let’s just say they didn’t smell like fresh fruits and grain, more like B.S.

A “non-profit” institute by the same name as our horn of plenty is making news attacking certain dairy producers; however, a peak behind the scenes suggests the Cornucopia Institute may merely be a marketing arm for a competing dairy interest - Organic Valley

They are posting false information basically! rolleyes.gif I had a feeling. Companies like Nestle, Enfamil, Similac etc...they are out to make a buck sure...but they aren't that daggone stupid!

FTR, I DON'T believe everything I read on the internet. There will ALWAYS be 2 sides to everything, I just happen to believe in the more natural sides of things (breastfeeding, raw dairy, organic foods, cloth diapers, no vaccines, etc.). You just happen to be on the other side LeaAnn.

I am not about to get into yet ANOTHER debate here. I thought I'd share some useful information about the questionable safety of the DHA/ARA formula.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM

gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

This is why you have to look at the whole picture and not just half wink.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (SewingMama @ Jan 25 2008, 03:06 PM)

They are posting false information basically!  rolleyes.gif I had a feeling. Companies like Nestle, Enfamil, Similac etc...they are out to make a buck sure...but they aren't that daggone stupid!

FTR, I DON'T believe everything I read on the internet. There will ALWAYS be 2 sides to everything, I just happen to believe in the more natural sides of things (breastfeeding, raw dairy, organic foods, cloth diapers, no vaccines, etc.). You just happen to be on the other side LeaAnn.

I am not about to get into yet ANOTHER debate here. I thought I'd share some useful information about the questionable safety of the DHA/ARA formula.

I understand and a lot of the natural, organic ways that you do things I have evolved too lately (mind you I don't cloth diaper, I don't have the time) but other things I really applaud you for them, I honestly do. I just think your post was an attempt to sort of advocate BF'ing and make parents who FF feel horrible. That's the way I took it, I feel as you're pushing your views on me or making me feel bad for the decisions I've had to make. It's no one's business why a mother isn't BF'ing, there are so many reasons why a mother cannot, so to make those who FF feel worse is just questionable to me.

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

ITA! Which is why I support BOTH Molie and LeaAnn for posting their two sides of the story - neither is right or wrong IMO. As the reader, YOU decide what you want to believe. Just like all the links on lead recalls. Some believe it, some don't. I don't think we should be taking it personally if it's not necessarily our own belief. JMHO.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Jan 25 2008, 04:13 PM)

ITA! Which is why I support BOTH Molie and LeaAnn for posting their two sides of the story - neither is right or wrong IMO. As the reader, YOU decide what you want to believe. Just like all the links on lead recalls. Some believe it, some don't. I don't think we should be taking it personally if it's not necessarily our own belief. JMHO.

Thank you so much.

mollie the original intent of my OP in the other thread was not to attack you, so pleas eplease please don't take it that way, I guess I sort of jumped the gun and felt like I was being attacked because I FF my kids, I also BF at first, but to wean earlier on than I would have liked for a couple of reasons with both...nonethless, I just felt like it came across as a put down. So I'm sorry if I came across as rude it's just a sore spot for me. I use the DHA/ARA products and I do research things so I thought and still do think I made an informed decision, so I sort of felt pretty strongly about that one.

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
msoulz
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Jan 25 2008, 05:13 PM)

VERY well said!!! smile.gif Thank you!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
jcc64
Posted: Jan 25 2008, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Ok, I'm going to try and tread very lightly here. Any threads related to ff and bf always seem to wind up the same way- with ff moms feeling attacked by bf moms. There are many perspectives to be considered-- irrefutable scientific evidence, personal circumstances, groups with biases and political/business agendas, and so on. Sometimes, it kind of feels like ff moms are a little quick on the trigger if anyone says anything negative at all about ff. I understand that the perceived underlying implication is a touchy one- no parent wants to feel accused of not doing "the best" for her child. But asserting the notion that ff is an inferior feeding method is NOT a value judgment in and of itself- it's a scientifically provable fact. It's also an unfortunate reality that many women who "fail" at bf are simply failed by their dr's own impatience or lack of support during those difficult early days. It's not an easy thing to get started, as we all know, but with the proper follow-up support, I am absolutely certain that more women could and would succeed with bf. Understanding and knowing all the facts allows us to decide whether bf is something worth pursueing.
Members pass on information, and it's up to us to either accept it on face value, ignore it, or investigate it further. But the simple presentation of the idea or a link is not always in and of itself, a criticism or an indictment, kwim? I think it's a nice function of this board that members post links or articles for us to do with what we choose. I rarely, if ever, accept this kind of info w/o investigating who or what's behind it. But I'd hate to see the dialogue stop because we're all perpetually oversensitive. We can find a way to do these things diplomatically, and I'm not sure that wasn't done in this case.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Jan 26 2008, 06:50 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 02:58 PM)

They are posting false information basically!  rolleyes.gif I had a feeling. Companies like Nestle, Enfamil, Similac etc...they are out to make a buck sure...but they aren't that daggone stupid!

I understand and a lot of the natural, organic ways that you do things I have evolved too lately (mind you I don't cloth diaper, I don't have the time) but other things I really applaud you for them, I honestly do. I just think your post was an attempt to sort of advocate BF'ing and make parents who FF feel horrible. That's the way I took it, I feel as you're pushing your views on me or making me feel bad for the decisions I've had to make. It's no one's business why a mother isn't BF'ing, there are so many reasons why a mother cannot, so to make those who FF feel worse is just questionable to me.

I'm sorry, that was NOT my intention. Your reasons for not BFing are yours, doen't bother me at all. I'm just proud to be BFing, and loving every minute of it. I'll keep it toned down from now on.

BTW, Aubrey & Hanna are just adorable wub.gif !

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Jan 26 2008, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Member No.: 2,162

Members pass on information, and it's up to us to either accept it on face value, ignore it, or investigate it further. But the simple presentation of the idea or a link is not always in and of itself, a criticism or an indictment, kwim? I think it's a nice function of this board that members post links or articles for us to do with what we choose. I rarely, if ever, accept this kind of info w/o investigating who or what's behind it. But I'd hate to see the dialogue stop because we're all perpetually oversensitive. We can find a way to do these things diplomatically, and I'm not sure that wasn't done in this case.

thumb.gif Well said!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (SewingMama @ Jan 26 2008, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Jan 25 2008, 02:58 PM)

I'm sorry, that was NOT my intention. Your reasons for not BFing are yours, doen't bother me at all. I'm just proud to be BFing, and loving every minute of it. I'll keep it toned down from now on.

BTW, Aubrey & Hanna are just adorable wub.gif !

Thank you.

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Crystalina
Posted: Feb 4 2008, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

To me this is kind of like politics. Take a little bit from this side and a handful from this side and mix it all up and you may have an ounce of truth between the two. happy.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0163 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]