Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I can't believe this..
Calimama
  Posted: Dec 29 2007, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,538

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071229/ap_en_...lBmuNheQadxFb8C

Girl wins concert tickets with essay faking dad's death in Iraq

GARLAND, Texas (AP) -- An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

While gripping, it wasn't true -- and now the girl may lose her tickets after her mom acknowledged to contest organizers it was all a lie.

The sponsor of the contest was Club Libby Lu, a Chicago-based store that sells clothes, accessories and games intended for young girls.

The saga began Friday with company officials surprising the girl at a Club Libby Lu at a mall in suburban Garland, northeast of Dallas. The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, New York, and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on January 9.

The mother had told company officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said.

"We did the essay and that's what we did to win," Priscilla Ceballos, the mother, said in an interview with Dallas TV station KDFW. "We did whatever we could do to win."

She had identified the soldier as Sgt. Jonathon Menjivar, but the Department of Defense has no record of anyone with that name dying in Iraq. Caulfield said the mother has admitted to the deception. VideoWatch a reporter confront the mother »

"We regret that the original intent of the contest, which was to make a little girl's holiday extra special, has not been realized in the way we anticipated," said Mary Drolet, the CEO of Club Libby Lu.

Drolet said the company is reviewing the matter, and is considering taking away the girl's tickets.
PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

ohmy.gif That is just awful! It's just sick to see what some people will do to get what they want!

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Anthony275
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

king

Member No.: 11,092

my grandma was talking about that today, their kid is 6 they dont need to go to a concert that badly rolleyes.gif
PM

Calimama
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I can't think of anybody who deserves to go LESS. mad.gif That mother is SICK.

This post has been edited by Bellasmommy10 on Dec 29 2007, 05:23 PM
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Yeah, it's sick.........

....but it's an essay. Nobody ever said an essay has to be non-fiction...?

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Dec 29 2007, 06:42 PM)
Yeah, it's sick.........

....but it's an essay. Nobody ever said an essay has to be non-fiction...?

They took away her tickets, so apparently someone else thinks it's horrid as well.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/5410390.html
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

That's kind of dumb. I would fight that. They never said it was true to begin with.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Dec 29 2007, 06:49 PM)
That's kind of dumb. I would fight that. They never said it was true to begin with.

Seems like she played it off to be real when they questioned her and then when they did a little digging, she changed her story.

"The mother had told company officials that the girl’s father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said."

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=7554667

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Ah. That's what I get when I just skim through the article... emlaugh.gif

yeah if she played it off as real, totally wrong, and she deserves to have the tickets taken away.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I feel sorry for the 6 year old girl, but not because she lost the tickets. I feel sorry for her because she has a mother that thinks it's ok to lie about something like that in order to win tickets. What a lesson to teach your child.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Yeah, it's all over the news down here. Awful, huh? sad.gif ITA with Dee Dee
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Dec 29 2007, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Dec 29 2007, 08:31 PM)
I feel sorry for the 6 year old girl, but not because she lost the tickets. I feel sorry for her because she has a mother that thinks it's ok to lie about something like that in order to win tickets. What a lesson to teach your child.

No kidding! growl.gif

And I personally find it repulsive that they would use such a sensitive issue as the basis for the lying mad.gif It's a slap in the face to the children who HAVE lost a parent in the war sleep.gif
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Dec 29 2007, 11:31 PM)

This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread. If parents don't draw the line on morals and right and wrong, how can we expect our kids to get it? We're raising a society that is teaching that winning is the name of the game and how you get there doesn't matter. I feel badly for the six year-old too. She has a bleak future. Her mother is a scumbag.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 02:55 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

that is exactly what I was thinking
It's the mother teaching her daughter to do something wrong and dishonest. sad.gif What a sad story to make up just to go see Hannah Montana...when there are many kids out there who have lost their parent/loved one sleep.gif

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL

luvmykids
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

You know what else, what happened to teaching your kids to be a good sport? Like, "You wrote a great essay but someone else won, good for them?" growl.gif
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Dec 30 2007, 02:58 PM)
You know what else, what happened to teaching your kids to be a good sport? Like, "You wrote a great essay but someone else won, good for them?" growl.gif

Clearly her morals are a little...

um distorted? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Dec 30 2007, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (redchief @ Dec 30 2007, 02:33 PM)
I feel sorry for the 6 year old girl, but not because she lost the tickets.  I feel sorry for her because she has a mother that thinks it's ok to lie about something like that in order to win tickets.  What a lesson to teach your child.

This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread. If parents don't draw the line on morals and right and wrong, how can we expect our kids to get it? We're raising a society that is teaching that winning is the name of the game and how you get there doesn't matter. I feel badly for the six year-old too. She has a bleak future. Her mother is a scumbag.

Yes I agree

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
HuskerMom
Posted: Dec 31 2007, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

What a horrible thing to do.

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 4 2008, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Dec 30 2007, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Dec 29 2007, 08:31 PM)
I feel sorry for the 6 year old girl, but not because she lost the tickets.  I feel sorry for her because she has a mother that thinks it's ok to lie about something like that in order to win tickets.  What a lesson to teach your child.

No kidding! growl.gif

And I personally find it repulsive that they would use such a sensitive issue as the basis for the lying mad.gif It's a slap in the face to the children who HAVE lost a parent in the war sleep.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself, this is exactly what I was thinking! How sad! bawling.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0504 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]