Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Shocked
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 8 2006, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

In talking with my parents the weekend I learned that the High School I went to is now allowing kids to eat and drink in class when ever they want. I am sorry but what kind of education are they getting if they are allowed to do this all day. Not to mention IMO they are promiting kids to over eat/drink. The cafeteria is now open ALL day you can get just about anything, and they even have coffee drinks ohmy.gif I guess I am old cause we were only allowed water in class, food only if medical nessary. Heck when I sold candy for an orginazation I was in we has to seek it in class to eat it. I am in shock, its a good school system one of the best in our area and one I was considering for Kait. I just dont think eat and drink shoudl be allowed in the class room.

Opinions?

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted: May 8 2006, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880

Seems like a bad idea to me. I don't like the idea of the cafeteria being open all day....especially if they are selling junk food.

When I was in high school - we weren't allowed ANYTHING in class -- not even water -- which was a real problem in the horrible heat (the school had no a/c). Some teachers allowed gum-chewing but that's different than candy/food (IMO).

I like the fact that my kids' school allows water in the classrooms (they also have a/c in the classrooms). They also give the kids snacks once or twice a day -- though usually fresh fruit or pretzels. I'd have a problem with them being allowed soda or candy all day.

The school DD#1 will be attending in the fall (high school) - has hot drinks in the cafeteria (lattes and coffee included)....but they are only available during lunch. There is a snack machine in the one lobby -- but the kids are only allowed to snack if they are in the lobby on their free-period.
PM
Momof3inMe
Posted: May 8 2006, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,022

Both of my boys can have water in class but thats it. I don't think they should be able to have food in class. With both of my boys on the bigger side I try to make sure they don't snack much and if they do I really try for fruit.

When I was in school kids would sell candy and we could eat it as long as we didnt make a mess.

My DS#1 is in the middle school now and they have different things you can buy at lunch time and I dont give him exta money every often b/c he has told me things that they have and most of it is junk.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL

AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: May 8 2006, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

We could eat and drink during class when I was in HS and it was
1) distracting
and
2) very messy!

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
luvbug00
Posted: May 8 2006, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

we were not allowed to do it but we did anyway. chips in the desk and sodas in purses and backpacks. personaly i have no real strong opinion just i hope they plan on more gym activities becuse the kids are going to get hudge with unlimited supplies of junk food! sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
luvmykids
Posted: May 8 2006, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I don't like the thought of that, too much distraction as it is, and too easy for kids to get their hands on junk. And when did teenagers start drinking coffee?
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2006, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Yikes. How dumb is that... just wait til the teachers start complaning that the work and the books come back covered in grease stains and liquid spills.

I remember this one tv commercial where this one girl is passing a tiny tampon to another girl... and the teacher sees it - makes her come up to the front, says something about he hopes she brought enough for everyone.... laugh.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 8 2006, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

As long as it's healthy snacks, I don't see a problem with it. Highschoolers don't usually gets breaks in between classes (at least mine didn't) except to get to the next class. This at the very least promotes to eat at healthy intervals and goes with the eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. It would be a really good idea so long as the cafeteria was serving good food.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 8 2006, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (CantWait @ May 8 2006, 04:50 PM)
As long as it's healthy snacks, I don't see a problem with it. Highschoolers don't usually gets breaks in between classes (at least mine didn't) except to get to the next class. This at the very least promotes to eat at healthy intervals and goes with the eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. It would be a really good idea so long as the cafeteria was serving good food.

its not all healthy, infact they really dont offer that much in the way of healthy overall. sad.gif

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: May 8 2006, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

We were allowed to snack and have water in my high school and in some cases it was a lifesaver. We had block scheduling and depending on how your classes went you could be eating lunch as early as 10:30am or as late as 2pm! When I was in HS there was no way I could wait until 2pm to eat lunch without a snack to hold me over, especially since I skipped breakfast most of time. blush.gif

This post has been edited by brookeandmadisonsmom on May 8 2006, 03:29 PM
PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: May 8 2006, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

Well...I went to a school that allowed eating and drinking and I thought it was nice. Our lunch period was only 25 minutes and I hated being hungry and trying to hurry and eat as fast as I could....and you were screwed if you weren't first in line for lunch.

Our school had a rule...if the teacher allowed you to eat and drink...then you were responsible for throwing away your wrappers...cleaning spills etc. If trash was found...you lost the privellege. Nobody ever really brought anything super messy...just crackers or something...and the cafeteria wasn't open all day.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: May 8 2006, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I think alot of schools have to address the fact that some kids are eating lunch at 10:00 due to overcrowding or scheduling issues, so by the time the afternoon rolls around, the kids are pretty hungry again. I don't have an issue with it at all, provided it's done respectfully.
As far as the nutritional content of what's served in the cafeteria, that's a whole other discussion. Many times I have tried to raise the issue of gov't regulation of foods targeted specifically at children, and that clearly seems to make many people uncomfortable. So, kids get junk at school, and whether it's in the cafeteria, in the hallway, or in a classroom seems pretty inconsequential to me. Personally, I applaud the efforts of those well meaning individuals who are trying to improve the nutritional quality of foods in schools, but I doubt they can compete with the food industry lobby. Business as usual.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: May 21 2006, 03:39 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I think it depends on what food they are allowing. I know of a few school's that allow food in class, but it has to be fruit or something healthy, it can't be junk food.

I know when I was in school I would get so hungry during classes, and since we were only allowed water, I would get distracted.

I have mixed opinions on it.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: May 21 2006, 04:38 AM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

QUOTE (jcc64 @ May 8 2006, 08:40 PM)

As far as the nutritional content of what's served in the cafeteria, that's a whole other discussion. Many times I have tried to raise the issue of gov't regulation of foods targeted specifically at children, and that clearly seems to make many people uncomfortable. So, kids get junk at school, and whether it's in the cafeteria, in the hallway, or in a classroom seems pretty inconsequential to me. Personally, I applaud the efforts of those well meaning individuals who are trying to improve the nutritional quality of foods in schools, but I doubt they can compete with the food industry lobby. Business as usual.

The fed government has mostly left regulating food in schools to local districts. My local school district has removed all pop and candy machines from schools. Juice/water machines are still available and all three high schools offer a salad bar and other nutritious alternatives to the traditional french fries and hamburgers.

Now when I was in high school, there was absolutely no food or drink in class. I think it was grounds for detention on first offense. We could chew gum and keep a drink in our locker for breaks between classes (6 minutes),

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0380 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]