Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> for those homeschooling a single child, concerns and rant
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: Feb 10 2006, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

My MIL told me today that she thinks homeschooling Will will be a mistake. That he is too active and that she had a hard time getting her daughter to even let her help with homework. And that she thinks he needs other children to play with. Although I didn't ask for her advice/opinion, she thought it necessary to give it to me. Yes, Will does have days that he is more active and hard-headed than others, and he is an only child. But he is only 3 years old.
Although I am a little mad at her "suggestions," mainly because they seemed more like a "you can't do it bc your kid is too much of a kid" suggestions. But it also is making me rethink my decision... is it really going to be bad for him not to be in a classroom full of kids? We are part of a homeschool group that meets once a week where he has about 2- 2 1/2 hours of play time with about 10-12 kids from ages of 2-12. And about once a week or more he sees our friend's son who is almost 3 as well as my nephew who's almost 8.
What do you think? Any moms (or dads) out there who homeschool just one child?
(Thanks for letting me vent, too!)

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
daycare mom
Posted: Feb 14 2006, 04:30 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,883

I have no personal experience with formal homeschooling, but I say it won't hurt him a bit to try. Start off small, make it interesting. My dd loves learning her letters at home, it's a game to her, and she knows it'll lead to reading. It might be what your son needs. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0284 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]