Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> where to start?
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 24 2006, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

I want to look into getting kait into some type of structured classroom type thing. I just dont know where to start. I think she is getting board at the sitters, and she needs something different even for just a few days a week. I guess part of the problem is I work and live in 2 different cities, so i am not sure where to start. Any ideas or help?

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Jan 24 2006, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,117

Are you looking for a preschool or something you can do at home?
If it's a preschool start by asking anyone you know if they have heard good things about one in particular. Most of the good, but not academically focused (meaning they aren't prepping your little one for the prep-school kindergarten but still teach things), ones around here are in churches. They aren't necessarily religiously based, either.

This post has been edited by ammommy on Jan 24 2006, 02:00 PM

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 24 2006, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

it woudl have to be some type of preschool. I work full time away from home.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

ammommy
Posted: Jan 24 2006, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

I just edited my answer since I figured out what you meant. Long day, sorry.

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 05:05 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

Ask your current babysitter for recommendations. Also -- if you work full-time you'll probably need someone to either take or pick-up (or both) your DD from preschool (most of them are part-time).
Another thought is to find a day care center that has a preschool program as part of the day. You'd probably have to completely swtich your DD over to there though and leave your current sitter. I know there are daycares that teach...but not sure how to go about finding one (I don't know much about daycare, sorry).
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

dropping off not a problem nor picking up the sitter is willing to pick her up and I can drop her off before work.

I WILL NOT switch to a daycare, the one around here that 'teach' are terrible. I have had experiece with several of them. So NOT an option.

I am doing some looking around I will make some calls and get information before I decide it will probably be a while.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

maybe a church in the area? Anywhere you are considering....definately pop in and look around during the school day. Ask what their daily schedule is.

I am also a germ-a-phob so maybe ask about the sickness policy and how they clean the tables and toys.

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

QUOTE (ediep @ Jan 25 2006, 09:47 AM)
maybe a church in the area? Anywhere you are considering....definately pop in and look around during the school day. Ask what their daily schedule is.

I am also a germ-a-phob so maybe ask about the sickness policy and how they clean the tables and toys.

I woudl have even less of a clue with a church, we dont attend any place. I have a few options that I am looking into.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I wish I had some ideas. sad.gif I have been contemplating on whether to start Kylie in preschool this fall and thought about it until I realized she'd go every day 1/2 day. If it was just a couple days a week I was ready to sign up, but she's still just a kid and I want her to be a kid a LOT longer if I can before forcing her in a class room structure daily.

So I guess I'm looking for something about 2 days a week, too, like you.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Jan 25 2006, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (ediep @ Jan 25 2006, 09:47 AM)
maybe a church in the area?  Anywhere you are considering....definately pop in and look around during the school day.  Ask what their daily schedule is.

I woudl have even less of a clue with a church, we dont attend any place. I have a few options that I am looking into.

Are you looking to send her to preschool in our area or by your sitter? If you are looking for our area, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ashley's preschool and would recommend it. Ashley's preschool isn't the Church we attend, but I did A LOT of research on preschools and I felt it was one of the best in our area. Ashley's 3 year old teacher is a retired kindetgarten and Spanish teacher and Ashley has learned so much. She's very good with the kids as well. She's authoritive enough to keep the class structured, but gives the kids the freedom to be themselves... all the kids just LOVE her.

If you are looking for one in the area of your sitter, then I would just get a list of the preschools in the area and start making some calls. Talk to the director, and tour the schools. I asked to talk to the teachers of the preschools that I liked because I think it is the teachers that are the most important. Most church preschools don't require you to attend, but they are faith-based so they do prayers and teach about God and Jesus.

Kaitlin probably won't be able to go until next year though. Most preschools I talked to required the child to be 3 by September 30th. (Unless you want to go to a daycare/teaching center... then you can start earlier). I think the age thing is so silly... there's only a few months difference between Ashley and Kaitlin and she will start school a whole year later. I personally think it should be based on the child and not the age... but what can we do. dunno.gif

Even if she doesn't go until next year, I would start looking at preschools now. I would ask to have a day where you can have Kaitlin "sit in" on the class with you observing. Most schools will allow this and that's why I suggested you start looking now for next year. You'll be able to observe the teacher interacting with the kids first hand and not have to rely on what others say. One thing I looked at was the artwork. If it looked like the teacher did all the work, then it wasn't the place for Ashley. She's a hand-ons kind of kid and would want to do it herself. It may not be perfect, but she is learning by doing it herself and so proud of it. Ashley comes home with some sort of art project almost every day.. it's usually related to the topic they are working on that day.

I hope I didn't ramble and you found something useful in there. wink.gif Good luck.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MamaJAM
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Jan 25 2006, 09:06 AM)
dropping off not a problem nor picking up the sitter is willing to pick her up and I can drop her off before work.

I WILL NOT switch to a daycare, the one around here that 'teach' are terrible. I have had experiece with several of them. So NOT an option.

That's good that your sitter can - and will - help you out with that. Does she have any kids....if she sent them to preschool - that might be a place to start.
Maybe you could ask friends and neighbors where they had their kids in preschool....assuming you want a school near your home. If you're looking for a school near your work - then maybe a co-worker would have some good ideas.

Didn't mean to offend by mentioning daycare....like I said - I really don't know much about daycare centers.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0195 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]