Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> educating ourselves..
PhiMuMommy
Posted: Nov 21 2005, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,835

is there anyone on here that either has gone or is going or is planning on going to graduate school? i'm thinking about going (i graduate undergrad this may.. woohoo!) and i thought i really wanted to go and now i'm not so sure.. and i'm not sure if right now would be a good time with Alex only 2 1/2 yrs old.. maybe i should wait untill he's in school too or should i go ahead and get it over with now? plus there's the money and the technically first time being on my own issue.. ya know? any advice or personal stories please send em my way.....

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL
Alice
Posted: Nov 22 2005, 03:44 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

Hi.

I did. I got my MS in 1984, so I'm not sure it's much help to you. That was ages before kids were in the picture, so it was relatively easy. I was teaching full time, but it was no big deal to go to Grad School at night.

But if you're used to going to school why being a mom, then why not? If this is something you want to persue, then I say go for it!!

What would you plan to study?

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Nov 22 2005, 04:52 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I suppose it depends on what you are going to school for and if it will really benefit you.
I have a AS, but getting a BS would not help my carrier in anyway. i would make the same $, work the same hours, doing the exact same job. it would be the same with my masters.

If it is something that would benefit you now, and you can do it, than I say why wait? Chances are, there will never be a good time to do it, you just have to take the plunge!

This post has been edited by PrairieMom on Nov 22 2005, 04:53 AM
PM

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Nov 22 2005, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

I got an MSW in 1986 but that was ages before kids in my house, too. I was working full time and went to an accelerated 18 month program that gave me some credit for work related learning, which was nice. I agree with Alice, if you can already manage motherhood and school and you feel graduate school is of interest to you, why not? I think it would be easier to do it when they are little and not in alot of extra curricular activity. The trade off, of course, is less time with your little one. If loving child care is not an issue for you, you should be good to go! Good luck with your decision.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
PhiMuMommy
Posted: Nov 23 2005, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

I would be going for either an MFA or a PHD.. and then i'd be able to teach in a college setting whcih is what i'd like to do. the only thing is i'm not sure if i want to do that forever anymore. i'm really interested in marketing and advertising so i didn't know if i should get a higher degree in something i'm not sure if i want anymore. but if i don't go right now i'm afraid i won't want to go back later..

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL
Jamison'smama
Posted: Nov 23 2005, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 214

I also have an MSW but received it before kids---it's rough just working full time and going to school. Do your requirements include an internship of any kind?

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
PhiMuMommy
Posted: Nov 23 2005, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

i actually just got an internship right now writing for a magazine.. the editor liked my writing sample so much he gave me my own column! i'm soo freaking excited.. but as far as in grad school if i go i will have a teaching assistantship where i teach the lower level courses there at the college..

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0121 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]