Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> allergy kids and trick or treating
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I just wanted to post an idea we came up with that has worked so far for us, for kids who want to go trick or treating but parents are leary due to food allergies...

we take the kids trick or treating and let them go thru the experience..
but when we get home, we take the candy that they collected and put it in a bowl out front of our house for the other kids to take as they go by. and we have safe foods packed in nice packages in the house for our kids.

we also usually make jake wear something that has gloves or something that his hands wont come in contact with the peanuts....

we had a lady once handing out moon pies she made, that contained peanut butter...it was a close call.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvbug00
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

For mya we will sort the candy for her. She knows what to eat and not eat. If there is too much peanut butter exposed then i have no issue with tossing whole deal and buying some from the grocery store. lol

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
lisar
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I take all the candy away either way. I let them have the "safe" candy from my family and thats it. Normally dh goes thru it and gets out what he wants and what he likes. I have a trust issue. But they always get so much from my family that never even notice
PMEmail Poster

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

We handed out stickers and pencils/pencil tops last year. Can you believe some kids would say "no thanks"? If it's not candy, they don't want it. Scary. But anyhow, this just helped me feel that I was showing some awareness and an alternative for those with food allergies. I will probably do the same this year, although I found some nut free/dairy free bars online and may order a pack or two. Not sure how pricey they are. This will be our first year letting the boys go trick or treating. I think we will only go to a handful of close neighbors and then sort through it when we get home. Or maybe we'll do the mall during the day, where I can see everything in the daylight. Either way, I'm telling the boys that they can not open anything until we get home.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Here's a link to those bars I was talking about. They also have tips on keeping your kids safe during Halloween:

Enjoy Life bars

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0105 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]