Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clooned animals safe to eat
lisar
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,760

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstor...?storyid=100004

I was just curious on what everyone opinions were.
PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

They were talking about this on the Today Show this morning and I missed it rolleyes.gif I think I was in the shower, or leaving or something...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

Hmmm I bet they wont feed it to their kids
But they dont mind telling us its ok
I wouldnt feed a dog that crap

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN

Calimama
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

I wouldn't eat that if you paid me. blush.gif
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

See I am not sure on anyof it. I have never kept up with the clooning thing. So I dont know a whole lot about it. I know DUUUHHH I should read up on it but I havent.
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

FDA Says Meat and Milk From Clones Are Safe
But the FDA has screwed up on so many things from food to drugs
Are you really going to trust them now with this? Not me

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

The most disturbing part of the article is this statement:

"But FDA won't require food makers to label if their products came from cloned animals, although companies could do so voluntarily if they knew the source. "

Yet, in this article they talk about how cloning isn't perfect and many of the animals have birth defects. Even Dolly died of lung cancer (or was going to).

If they want to produce, sell, and eat meat from cloned animals... that's fine and their own choice. But, I should have the right to know exactly what I am eating through properly labeled food. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif growl.gif I think we all need to write our congressman/women on this one!!!!

Looks like it is time to become a vegetarian.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

This was in my e-mail I hope the link opens it up

http://www.webmd.com/news/20080115/fda-mea...=wnl_nal_011508

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)

PMICQAOLMSN
redchief
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

My main concern isn't with cloning per se, but with our insistence to mess with nature. I think that in some cases the science community isn't doing things to advance humanity so much as because they can. I hadn't heard that cattle or goats were having reproductive problems. I also hadn't read anything where the genetics were coming too close so that there was danger of genetic mutation due to lack of variation. So, other than they are doing this because they can, is there really a reason to continue this research? It's my understanding that cloning is much, much more expensive than natural insemination as is practiced today. It's also my understanding that it is the goal to preserve superior gene lines for the purpose of making superior "product." If this practice becomes the norm, where will the new, previously unknown, superior animals come from? I just think that nature has done it all right up until now, why mess with God's work for no other reason than we can?

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (redchief @ Jan 16 2008, 10:09 PM)
My main concern isn't with cloning per se, but with our insistence to mess with nature. I think that in some cases the science community isn't doing things to advance humanity so much as because they can. I hadn't heard that cattle or goats were having reproductive problems. I also hadn't read anything where the genetics were coming too close so that there was danger of genetic mutation due to lack of variation. So, other than they are doing this because they can, is there really a reason to continue this research? It's my understanding that cloning is much, much more expensive than natural insemination as is practiced today. It's also my understanding that it is the goal to preserve superior gene lines for the purpose of making superior "product." If this practice becomes the norm, where will the new, previously unknown, superior animals come from? I just think that nature has done it all right up until now, why mess with God's work for no other reason than we can?

I agree Ed

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)

PMICQAOLMSN
lisar
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

QUOTE (redchief @ Jan 16 2008, 10:09 PM)

I agree with this. I never thought of this way. Thanks Ed.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 05:16 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

(you, is general. tongue.gif)

Honestly there's all this uproar about it... but what are individuals doing in order to be proactive in their food supplies? Sure, everyone can bi*ch and moan about what's in our food, where it's from... but unless you're growing it yourself or know the farmer that does, there's not much you can do about it. You're lucky the suppliers are sharing with you at all!!

I know where my vegetables come from, they sure don't have a "product of mexico" on them. My spaghetti sauce wasn't canned in a factory, where there could be bug parts, and it's ok!! My meat mostly comes from a hormone free grower.

Obviously I can't do everything myself... I cant grow bananas, I don't raise animals for meat, I don't grow wheat and oats... lol BUT... I DO have control over what I do and do not buy. I choose to grow my own veggies, I choose to buy specific meat from a select farmer, I choose to take the time to make my own bread, yogurt, I choose to can and pickle food grown over the summer to have a stock over the winter.. and I choose to buy what I can't provide on my own, be it hormone ridden or not... I try for organic but it's not always available.

I just don't get it. This continent is so rich in supplies, and yet it balks at every new aspect brought in that could be a benefit to the REST of the world. Not to sound rude to anyone, but if you don't like what you're getting, get what you want somewhere else...be proactive in your boycott instead of wondering what to do next.

On the other hand... I agree with Ed - fooling around with nature is ridiculous. We're not gods, we can't improve on what's already here without having some sort of backlash. Monty Python. Killer Bunnies. Now think of COWS running after you like you're their main food source... there's a whole lotta cows. blink.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I am not sure what my stance is on cloning. I think if I had a child dying of something and something could be cloned to help my child, my stance on the situation may be different. As far as eating cloned animals -- my gut reaction at this point is "EWWWW, no way". Not sure why - just is.

I agree about not messing with the way things are. I agree that we do have a say in what we eat -- to a great extent, actually. I agree that we, as people in general, don't take a proactive approach to the food situation.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0183 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]