Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When do you introduce a sippy cup?
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 3 2003, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

My DD is almost 6 months old. She is breastfed and has occaisonally taken a bottle of expressed breastmilk. But, doesn't care too much for the bottle. I wanted to introduce the sippy cup so that she could drink after her meals or just when she is a little thirsty but not necessarily hungry. Is now a good time to introduce the cup? Should I just use it as described above or should I replace her nursing sessions with expressed breastmilk in the cup? I am not comfortable breastfeeding in public -- I know there is nothing wrong with it, it is just a comfort issue with me. So, introducing a cup would also allow me to go out more often since she is starting to like the bottle less and less.

Thanks for any advice.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

Now is a good age to introduce the sippy ... if she can sit up, hold things in her hands and has good head control while sitting up. smile.gif

Some babies will not take breastmilk from anything but mom after a certain age. They prefer it from the original source.

Being comfortable nursing in public takes practice as many moms worry that they are "showing" too much skin or breast. Practicing in front of a mirror helps as does lifting shirt from bottom, unbuttoning from the bottom instead of the top, etc. If you still aren't comfortable with that ... a sippy cup might work for baby.

I would be sure to get those that have the "no spill" tops to be sure it just doesn't dribble everywhere. smile.gif I think they have some cups now that are made more for infants ... I am beyond that stage so am not really sure.

I would not start replacing meals, though, with the expressed milk in a cup ... pumping is never as effective as baby as in getting milk from the breast and you don't want to compromise your milk supply. Offering the cup after a meal, with an ounce of water, would give her a chance to play and get used to it. If you wanted to put a bit of breastmilk in it instead, that would work, too.

This is such a wonderful time ... as babies become more aware and learn new skills ... such a fun time!

HTH

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 3 2003, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for your advice. She can sit on her own with no problem and has good hand-eye coordination, so I will give the sippy a try. I will try water because I hate pumping anyways -- haha. I just want to make sure she still gets enough BM.

As for breastfeeding in public, I might try the mirror thing. I am not very graceful at breasfeeding her at home, but it is just the DH here with me -- haha. When I was pregnant, I didn't think I was going to like breastfeeding but I chose to do so for the benefits it offers the baby. Now, I am so glad I did -- I love the special time with her!

Thanks again for the advice.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Hi -
Only one of my kids would ever take the bottle, and only from my mother as she was the one that would watch her and help out. She was very supportive and would never give a bottle without my permission, but we had better luck with juice than water (I had a hard time pumping because we didn't get a good pump, figuring it would be my last - hahaha). My last one is the only one of my kids that really liked water, so you might want to try some juice instead (allowing that Ashley isn't allergic to anything). All the rest of my kids went from breast to cup, with nary a bottle in-between.

One thing you might try is letting Daddy give Ashley a bottle if the cup doesn't work out right away for you, too. Babies are smart, and they know where they get the breast. Maybe if Daddy tried the bottle or cup, she would not reject it as it wasn't coming from her "comfort source". A lot of times, with ones getting a little older and a little mobile it isn't just a food source anymore. So, if Daddy could help, that would work out better.

I really couldn't add much else to advice already posted, good luck and keep up the nursing, it's worth the rewards!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks Supermom.

Daddy is actually the one who gave her the first bottle when she was about 6 or 7 weeks old. She took the bottle then, and a few times thereafter. But, we haven't really given her a bottle lately. I had my Mom babysit one day and his Mom babysat a few weeks later, and they both said that she would hardly take the bottle -- maybe drank an ounce or two at the most. It seems like the older she gets, the less she likes the bottle.

I tried the sippy cup this afternoon with a little water in it. She ended up wearing most of it, but she loved it. She squealed for more. I thinks she likes anything that she has control over. She likes to put the spoon in her mouth herself when I feed her too. She is just 6 months old (will be 6 months on the 5th) and is already showing her stubborn side!

I am going to have to look for a better sippy cup like you suggested. This one says it is for easy transition from bottle or breast to cup, but it dribbles everywhere.

Thanks again for the advice!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 8 2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Just an update ---

Ashley loves the sippy cup! drink.gif However, we went to the mall yesterday, Ashley did take a bottle of breastmilk with no problem. When she wouldn't take the bottle from either grandma, it must have been a phase she was going through, or she was just plain mad that we were not there.

Thanks for all your advice and help!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

TLCDad
Posted: Mar 8 2003, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 1

It was so cute too! wub.gif She insisted on holding the bottle herself. Definitely a charished moment I will never forget!

Ashley loves going to the mall! laugh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster
pen2000pal
Posted: May 10 2003, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 180

If she is nursing why introduce a sippy cup at all? It's a personal decision. But if that were me I'd let my son soley nurse until he was ready to wean (even it it were not until he was 4 wacko.gif , then I'd introduce.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOL
jdkjd
Posted: May 10 2003, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Miss Bailey

Member No.: 85

We use the Avent sippy cup with the two handles. Bailey loves it. We just give her water after she eats solids to keep her from getting constipated.

And I'm hoping to raise a water drinker (instead of sodas)...

Introducing a cup at this age is good for their development of hand-eye coordination, as well as hand to hand coordination.

I'm glad that Ashley is enjoying it so much. So cute!

--------------------
Jenn
Mother of Bailey (9/16/02) and Kiera Bryn (3/15/04)

Bailey and Kiera's Website
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 10 2003, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I put water or juice/water mixture in her sippy cup. It's been a while since that original post... but she is like an old pro with the sippy cup now. smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

jdkjd
Posted: May 10 2003, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Miss Bailey

Member No.: 85

Have you tried letting her drink our of your water?? Bailey loves to "lap" water out of my glass.

I guess soon, are little babies will be holding there own glasses. I never thought I'd see it but I'm starting to get sad as all of these milestones fly by...

--------------------
Jenn
Mother of Bailey (9/16/02) and Kiera Bryn (3/15/04)

Bailey and Kiera's Website
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
dhoppygirl
  Posted: May 13 2003, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 52

Peyton also loves his sippy cup, we finally bought him some because he was grabbing our drinking glasses constantly. He wasn't lapping the water, he was gumming it!!! But, he loves his sippy cup, which we also give to him after meals, usually with just water. We also used it on the plane when he didn't want his pacifier anymore and I was trying to keep his ears from getting too plugged. baby.gif

--------------------
Dawn
Mom to Peyton 9/23/2002, Sydney 3/30/2004 and Connor 11/15/2005
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0123 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]