Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 13yr old daughter humiliated at graduation, need help/advice
krookzx2
  Posted: Jun 20 2005, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,053

help.gif My 13yr old daughter graduated from the 8th grade today- I wasn't able to be there because of work- unknown to any of us she received 4 awards and her diploma -half way across the stage her skirt fell down around her ankles!!!!! the world stood still!!! She already suffers from depression and is very withdrawn from peers. What do I say??? What do I do ????? I can't make it go away-especially when your 13.... someone please help !!!! Proud mom to hurting child
PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

oh no! Hug her, tell her you love her. Share with her about something embarrassing that happened to you and how now it seems less tragic. BUT, especially emphatize with her with out putting her feelings down. Let her talk about it AND then talk about the good things. And reward her for the great awards etc.

Oh gosh, I wish I had some real advice. But that is the best I can come up with.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
amynicole21
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Oh no! I'm sure she feels like her world has ended. Poor thing! I would encourage her to joke about it with her friends. It might be the farthest thing from what she WANTS to do, but it's hard for someone to make fun of you when you are already doing it to yourself.

Tell her congrats on her graduation and awards.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo

JAYMESMOM
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,669

I would let her know that you understand how embarrsing it could be but that in the long run it will not matter and people will forget.

Just reassure her that u understand and are there for her.

Unfortunately somethings we can't earase and can just be supportive.

--------------------
user posted image
In loving memory of Great-Grandma Wright 3-26-06.
Not pictured Great-Grandma Buckley RIP 11-20-05.
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mom2tripp
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

OMG---That's horrible. I guess the best that you can do in that situation is just tell her that you are there for her bc honestly I don't anything you say is going to make that embarrassment go away and tell her that over the summer kids forget and she can start brand new next year in high school. GEEZ I wish I had some better advice that's bad! Good luck to you

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

I'm soo sorry that happened to her. I'm sure your extremely proud of her for all her achivments! I'd have to agree that to joke about it is a way to relieve the embaressment. I'm very impressed that she had accopished so many things and glad that she was aknolaged for her efforts.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jun 20 2005, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I agree with Anne

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Cynda
Posted: Jul 2 2005, 06:01 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,122

I'd suggest a summer makeover, so that when she starts high school , the talk is all about her new look, not memories of the graduation. Maybe a new haircut , perm or hilights, and a great new outfit. If she has glasses, maybe spring for contacts.

And of course, lots of praise and love from you : )
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0163 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]