Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Not cut out to parent a teenager, I need advice
jodiec1973
Posted: Mar 9 2005, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,502

I am the mother of a 13-year-old son. He is a total jerk. I have two other children aged 7 and 8 and he is cruel to them. He hits, pinches, pokes, kicks them and whatevr else sounds good to him at the time. He refuses to do his homework. He argues about every little aspect of the day. No punishment seems to be enough. He thinks everything is a joke. A couple of weeks ago because he was in trouble he was sent to his room and would not go. He just laid on the couch and stared at me whenever I would tell him to go. So I got up and went over and grabbed his arm to pull him up and tell him to go to his room and he started trying to kick and hit me. I held him down. He still has a long way to grow before he is able to overpower me. I did not hit him or hurt him in any way. I was so mad that I sat down and just started crying. My husband keeps telling me that he will get better he is just a teenager. BULL*%$#! I am ashamed to say that when I look back there is not one memory of him being a good boy. He was a terror from the time he learned to walk. The bad part about the whole situation is that he goes to other peoples homes and acts just fine. I need to know what will get his attention. What will make him realize that we are not the enemy? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
Alice
Posted: Mar 9 2005, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

I'm in way over my head here, since my kids are little. But have you spoken to a counselor?? Call the guidance dept at his school and get some referrals.

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Mar 9 2005, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I also have a boy this age, and I realize their behavior can be so hurtful and destructive to the smooth running of the family, especially where their interactions with siblings are concerned.
However, as difficult as it is to do when you're so angry, you need to try and understand what is going on in his head before you can expect the behavior and attitude to change. In my son's case, he harbors intense and ongoing feelings that his younger brother is given preferential treatment. From my perspective, I believe this is entirely untrue- I am scrupulously careful about being fair, but that is beside the point. My older son's reality, however distorted it is, is his reality, and I have an obligation to address it as such. I can tell him till I'm blue in the face that I love him as much as his siblings, but it is a natural tendency to believe otherwise despite the facts (I know I felt the same way as a child).
And so, b/c he can't do much to get back at me when he's angry, he goes after my younger son with a vengeance. So much so that I believe he occasionally damages the younger one's self esteem. This, in turn, makes me furious, I lash out at him, and it only serves to reiterate what he believes ("You love HIM better).
Your anger at him is very palpable from your post. Don't for a second think that he is not picking up on that as another sign that he is unloved. Give him an opportunity to really vent- let you know exactly how he feels, and really listen- don't give in to the tendency to deflect and defend. If he comes away from the conversation feeling heard, it will be a step in the right direction, trust me. Make a night out with just the 2 of you to do whatever he wants- go to the movies, rent a dvd, play cards, go shopping at the mall, whatever.
I know how hard it is to reach out when they're so negative all the time. But if what you've been doing up to this point hasn't been working- it's time to try another course. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

gr33n3y3z
Posted: Mar 18 2005, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

My boys never did that to me
But My John sounds alot like your son though
John is 18 and lived this long
John just had a smart mouth and very nasty to ppl. in the house but he knew better then to stike out his anger on anyone bc he knew what would happen if he did.
I think some kids are so dang smart they just dont know what to o with themselves an they make everyones lives misrable to no end.
Like I said he is 18 and turned out to be a great kid smile.gif
So there is some light at the end of the long tunnel for you

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
cindy_82461
Posted: Apr 9 2005, 03:52 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,699

and I agree with whoever said a counselor...or the pediatrician can refer someone....maybe it's a chemical inbalance..you know how kids are when they go thru the puberty thing...they're certifiably crazy,lol. Maybe you can find something to hold over his head till he behaves....like getting a drivers license or a car....some great goal to work toward.

Ever day without a hassle, we put $ in a jar towards a car...every day where you're a pain in the butt, we take $ back out...
PMEmail Poster
Kirstenmumof3
Posted: Apr 9 2005, 04:08 AM
Quote Post

Calm and Tranquil!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 189

I think maybe you might want to look at Family counselling. I'm not in any way saying you are a bad parent, the fact that you posted here shows how much of a good mom you are. This might be just a teenage phase or there might be something else going on. Try taking him out one afternoon, go for a long drive (this way he can't get away) and just talk to him, don't lecture. Ask him if things are bothering him at school, maybe he is picking on his younger siblings because someone is doing this to him at school. Does he play sports? I know my nephew was a little hellion before my sister got him involved with Judo ( he was around 11), he is a totally different kid now. I hope things get better for you and your son! Keep us updated on how things are going.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0198 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]