Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Any SAHM'm who, make $$ at home?
stanleygirl
Posted: May 23 2005, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,730

I am trying to figure out a way that I can make money while still being available to my kids full time. Do any of you SAHM, but earn an "income"??

I would appreciate any of your advice, this is weighing very heavily on me, as we are not making enough money to pay for everything right now, but we really feel strongly that I should be at home for now.
Thanks

--------------------
Amanda

Kieran 2002
Brady 2004
PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: May 23 2005, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

I need the same thing. I am trying a few things right now, but nothing really that has panned out. Do you have special skills you can market? Tomorrow during the day I will respond with info, on what we tried and worked. and what has not.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
ferocity302
Posted: May 23 2005, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,230

I belong to a board that is just for that and more but unfortunately I can not advertise it here as it would be a violation of the TOU........ been told already that my sig was advertising for such a thing so....... if you would like the info I guess you can e-mail me.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN

Alice
Posted: May 24 2005, 02:49 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

Why don't you guys tell us a little about your skills & background, and we'll see what we can come up with?

There's always the basics: Tupperware, Avon, Pampered Chef etc.

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
stanleygirl
Posted: May 24 2005, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Well, I have to say first that I cannot do anything involving lifting (yeah right mom of 2), but I broke my back a few years ago and have a lot of physical restrictions bc of that.

Aside from that I have worked as a waitress (in fine dining and fast food), a bartender, a sales clerk, a bartender, a supervisor in a restaurant, and a customer service rep for a major phone company.
I took a year of computer courses aimed at working in an office setting, and took one year towards my HR development certificate. I am very good with kids, but don't think I can handle babysitting just yet, my kids are still too small.
I am very well spoken, and have great customer service skills.

I should also mention that I am in Canada.
Anything else you can think of?? If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

--------------------
Amanda

Kieran 2002
Brady 2004
PMEmail Poster
Jamielou
Posted: May 24 2005, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

~ laney bug ~

Member No.: 1,829

QUOTE (stanleygirl @ May 23 2005, 08:57 PM)
I am trying to figure out a way that I can make money while still being available to my kids full time. Do any of you SAHM, but earn an "income"??

I would appreciate any of your advice, this is weighing very heavily on me, as we are not making enough money to pay for everything right now, but we really feel strongly that I should be at home for now.
Thanks

I would love to do that if you find out anything please let me know... tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
stanleygirl
Posted: May 24 2005, 07:51 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

So far, nothing too great to report! rolleyes.gif
I am looking into Secret Shopping (DO NOT send money, it should be free to sign up) imyst.com was the best one I found so far.
I am trying to find out more about getting paid to do surveys and focus groups online.
And I am looking into selling tupperware.
If I find anything else I will be sure to share with you. I also signed up on a website made specifically for this reason, that ferocity302 mentioned.
I can PM you with the addy if you want, or look in her profile.

--------------------
Amanda

Kieran 2002
Brady 2004
PMEmail Poster
ferocity302
Posted: May 24 2005, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

be very careful out there ladies...... lots of scams.

There is secret shoppers IF you can find anything in your area (so far no luck here) and you can spend HOURS looking for one job in that area.

Tupperware and Pampered Chef, etc....... I've done some of those. Takes a long time away from your family in the evenings and you have to bug your friends, family and neighbors to get yourself started. If your comfortable with selling then this is a good nitch for ya.

Transcription is something that seems to be spreading fast but you do need some background or education. All of it can be found on the net and done in your home. I have not taken a close look at this as I can not afford the education part just yet.

There is always turning a hobby into something that makes money so be creative. I design websites on the side for an ex employer and I've been networking to get some other ones on the side. I also have good management skills and lots of office and administration skills...... so I'm networking to find something in those lines.

I once was told about a group called MOMS........ Moms Offering Moms Support. It's all SAHM and some that have home based businesses. Check your local area to see if they are there for you. I am going to be checking out a meeting locally for myself to see what it is all about.

I have so many resources and I'm happy to help out if I can.

Cheers!

--------------------
user posted image
Alice
Posted: May 24 2005, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

I can't think of much right now-- it seems like the computer skills should give you something. Can you do trouble shooting w/ computers? Some sort of consulting? Or if you're a good typist, could you advertise w/ local colleges-- you'll type papers and theses (is that the plural of thesis??) for a price per page?

I used to teach HS Math, now I do tons of tutoring. My husband (who still teaches) does the photography for his school's yearbook; he also works on the side with a photo studio.

I think the trick is to find 1) something you're good at and enjoy- at least a bit. Then 2) find a way to turn it into something that someone else wants.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago from someone asking the same question. She used to be an events planner-- we explored the possiblity of her planning field trips for elementary schools &/or Senior Citizen Centers. Again, I think the way to be successful is to find something you're good at.

Has this helped at all??

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
Alice
Posted: May 24 2005, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

I reallllly should be doing house work, but this just occurred to me:

Would nearby college kids be willing to pay someone to do their research for them? I guess you would be a professional web surfer. Here's what I'm thinking (forgive me if it doesn't make sense, it just occurred to me and I haven't thought it through,)

Say a college kid is doing a phych paper on the relationship between adolescant TV watching and violence. He spells out his basic premise to you, tells you what he's looking for- maybe submits an outline of what he's looking to prove (or disprove) and hands it off to you.

A week later, you hand him 150 articles on the subject, organized according to his outline (NOT pirated research papers, just the raw articles, etc.) It would save him lots of time and you could do it at night after the kids are in bed.

I'm assuming that there are colleges nearby, or is this something you could do through your own website?

--- Or, totally different idea: you say you're good w/ kids. Would you consider being a party planner?? Lots of working moms would love to throw a "dream Party" for their kids but just don't have the time. You could do all the leg work:

Say Susie wants a Princess Party. Mom calls you, gives you the date, time, and the names and addresses of the kids being invited. It's now your party: You write out & mail the invitations, take the RSVPs, order the plates and decorations and maybe the cake, come up with a craft- say they make their own royal jewels and decorate their crowns, and come throw a party at Susie's house. She has her own personalized party, and you have $50 or $75 or whatever profit.

WEll, anyway, they're ideas. I've got to get my house a bit cleaner!!!

This post has been edited by Alice on May 24 2005, 10:23 AM

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
ferocity302
Posted: May 24 2005, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Alice @ May 24 2005, 10:09 AM)

--- Or, totally different idea: you say you're good w/ kids. Would you consider being a party planner?? Lots of working moms would love to throw a "dream Party" for their kids but just don't have the time. You could do all the leg work:

This sounds like a great idea and it is! but.........

I have been attempting to do this for a while now and there are a few things to check into......

Insurance..... General Liability to that if susie falls you are not liable because your the one that brought the obstacle course.

Cost of what your providing.... find all the different angles on where to go to get the best bang for your buck. (dollar stores are a great place for some things)

The times that most parties are taking place ......... could be on weekends and evenings so check to see if that works in your family dynamics.

Glorified babysitter...... take into consideration that you may be dealing with 20 kids at a time and that although some parents may be present not all of them may be so be prepared for anything.

I want to be a planner so bad because it is something I am truely passionate about and do not want to put a damper on that idea for anyone....... just thought I'd pass some things on that I have found so far for myself.

--------------------
user posted image
mama3x
Posted: May 24 2005, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Kyrie loves Maisy!

Member No.: 552

I have been in the same boat since 2003, when I was pg with Kyrie. I have looked into a couple of things but they never did pan out. Right now I am looking into something but can't tell you much because I am still researching it.

I have heard that call centers are becoming popular - a big company hires people to work from home answering calls about services, products, etc. instead of maintaining a central call center. If you could tap into that it would be great. Unfortunately it's not possible here in Hawaii for me! wink.gif

--------------------
Dionne, wife to Kevin & proud SAHM of
Brenden (13yrs), Kyrie "BoogaGirl" (23m), Dallas "Boy-Boy"(20wks)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Alice
Posted: May 24 2005, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

QUOTE (ferocity302 @ May 24 2005, 03:45 PM)
[QUOTE=Alice,May 24 2005, 10:09 AM]
This sounds like a great idea and it is! but.........

I have been attempting to do this for a while now and there are a few things to check into......

Insurance.....

Cost of what your providing....

The times that most parties are taking place .........

Glorified babysitter......

All good points that I hadn't thought of. But I bet that if you're willing to do it, you could make it work.

You could go online for a comprehensive list of the party entertainers in your area. Contact them and see whether they'll give you a "finders fee" for each party booked through you. So when someone wants a clown or a moon bouncer, you already have prices at hand and a fee built in.

Once you do your research, it's good for a while. So you would have to put some time in in the beginning-- finding the best sources for invitations and decorations and pinatas, etc-- but then you just have to update once or twice a year. In fact, once you make a little money, you could buy some stuff ahead of time to have in stock-- Spiderman and Barney invites-- things that won't go out of style any time soon, even if that particular invite is discountinued. If there are any 1/2 price stores in your neighborhood, you could become a regular there-- see if they'll give you a "preferred customer" discount or something. Likewise, you could find party supply places online where shipping is free or minimal-- smalltoys.com charges a flat ($6.95 I think) shipping fee. So if you order stuff for 3 parties at a time, you're not paying much in shipping. (They also price things starting at like 5 and 10 cents each.)

Insurance- you're probably right. But look into it and see what it would cost. COuld you put a disclaimer into the contract denying liability? Talk to a lawyer (or go online to start) and find out.

And you would probably have to spend a little to get a "party outfit"-- check www.smallworldentertainment.com for their "pizzazz" outfit, to see what I mean.

Anyway, even if this isn't what you're looking for, maybe it will get you started on another idea, or help someone else.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster
b&bsmom
Posted: May 24 2005, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,757

I watch kids at home ( though monday and friday i go to someone elses house with my kids) Long story how all that got started but have been nanny since my oldest was 3 months ( she is now almost 6) I used to work in daycare so I do it at home now I also do a party thing not one that was mentioned but not sure if I am allowed to tell you which. If you want to know you are welcome to email or pm me. I am always looking for ways to make a little extra. We are always so tight on money as well and would really like to buy a house. I have been thinking of offering ideas for group gifts example for teachers. This year since my children have the same preschool teachers I got their classes plus the one other these two teachers teach and had all the kids make a handprint on a fabric square (2 one for each teacher) and put together a quilt ( with the help of another mom and my mom) but it is beautiful and last year i had all the kids in my daughters class by a link for a bracelet for their teacher and wrote what each charm meant from each kid. I also thought about some kind of crafty party idea where I can plan a craft for bday parties or whatever and take care of supplies and clean up but as said before to many details to do with. Hope some of this helps Let me know what works for you:)

--------------------
user posted image]user posted image user posted image
Stacy wife to Jim and mom to Brittany 6/24/99 and Bryce 9/9/02

I've been hit Snowball fight 2006
PMEmail PosterAOL

stanleygirl
Posted: May 24 2005, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Wow those are some great ideas! I really would have never thought of some of the suggestions posted in here.

I also met a girl today who calls from her home to remind ppl that their appliances are being serviced, (for Sears)
That would be really great and I assume carpet cleaning companies and AC companies would need the same kind of service.

I am going to let all this sink in, and I will def post back and tell you what works well for me.
Thanks ladies!! thumb.gif

--------------------
Amanda

Kieran 2002
Brady 2004
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0212 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]