Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Controversial questions forum?
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486

Just a thought huh.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

I was thinking about that too!

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
3xsthefun
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 227

You know I was thinking the same thing. I don't really think they belong in the general forum. But that is just my opinion. I don't really have a interest in the topics myself so I think it would be nice to have a seperate forum.

--------------------
Tina wife to Rob (Sept. 25, 1999)
mommy to Kaitlynn (11), Maegan (7) & Ryan (3.5)
PMMSN

PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I agree. or in the very least label the topic as a debate or "hot Topic" so that people that don't want to participate can avoid going there in the first place.

I for one enjoy "hot topics" and view them as an opportunity to learn about other people's views and cultures. I live in the midwest, there is very little diversity here, so there is very little opportunity to learn about this stuff IRL.
PM
Calimama
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 28 2007, 10:00 AM)
I agree. or in the very least label the topic as a debate or "hot Topic" so that people that don't want to participate can avoid going there in the first place.

Great idea!! thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (Bellasmommy10 @ Aug 28 2007, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 28 2007, 10:00 AM)

Great idea!! thumb.gif

I agree. Like a Debate Forum. Go in at your own risk and leave the debates there. wink.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Anthony275
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

king

Member No.: 11,092

oh please do this
PM
Mommy2BAK
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 843

rolling_smile.gif

Now, why in the world would we need that? Just teasing.

This post has been edited by Mommy2BAK on Aug 28 2007, 11:00 AM

--------------------
~TAMARA~
Blessed mother to Blakely (7/12/04), Ayden (9/21/07), Addison and Avery (7/2/08)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I don't really know if it would solve anything. I think sometimes people are just looking for a good fight. We have to get our mommy frustrations out somewhere. wacko.gif
PM
luvbug00
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Oh yes PLEASE!!!!!!!! i love a healthy tat for tat tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Insanemomof3
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 117

I love debates, and I love Jennifer posts. I am all for a debate forum.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I've seen some boards where the debate/controversy forum is like our P&I, a certain number of posts are required to log in. The point of that is you don't get random people posting just to cause trouble, like trolls sometimes do.
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Good idea, HOWEVER........if we wanted a debate forum we would go another wensite.....ya know what I mean?????

Can i be the monority and state that I am against the idea - this is not the reason I joined PC.

This post has been edited by moped on Aug 28 2007, 01:12 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Aug 28 2007, 01:11 PM)
I've seen some boards where the debate/controversy forum is like our P&I, a certain number of posts are required to log in. The point of that is you don't get random people posting just to cause trouble, like trolls sometimes do.

Ohhhh. Good one! clapsmiley.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 28 2007, 04:11 PM)
Good idea, HOWEVER........if we wanted a debate forum we would go another wensite.....ya know what I mean?????

Can i be the monority and state that I am against the idea - this is not the reason I joined PC.

Well, yeah, but if it is in a locked forum, then can't you just not go in there?
I don't know, I feel that good healthy debates are educational, and that it helps me be a better parent not only in letting me talk in an adult manner with peers so I don't loose my mind, while helping me learn about other people, which can give me insight into ways I would want to raise my child.
PM
holley79
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 28 2007, 04:11 PM)

There are plenty of debate websites out there. These websites are on other parenting boards. This board was fine when I joined and I would like for it to go back to the old ways. I vote against the controversial forum.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Insanemomof3
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Ok, you vote no on the forum, that is fine. BUT. if there was a specific forum for that...just stay OUT of that particular forum? JMO

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
5littleladies
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

I might be wrong but I think something like this was suggested in the past and was vetoed because where you have debates, you have frustrations and hurt feelings and everything else that comes along with that-it just often makes for a very unpleasant atmosphere all around-it will bleed onto the other boards. This forum was designed to be for parenting-for supporting each other through this wonderful, and sometimes not-so-fun, journey with our children. Call me closed minded if you want (but believe me-I love a good debate as much as the next person!), but I would really love us to stick with the whole parenting idea. wink.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
Crystalina
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I can see where some don't want the forum but at the same time the threads will not stop. Someone will always post a controversial thread whether we like it or not. I think if there were a specific forum then if the thread were started in the General Discussion forum then a mod could move it to the Debate forum. If the person who started the thread does not have enough posts to get in (if it's a locked forum) then the thread is either deleted (since the topic starter can no longer respond) or they just lose out replying to it altogether. That would be a chance they take starting the topic in the first place. Either that or the topic starter can have the choice of whether it gets deleted or moved (since they can not participate in the thread they started) and if someone else wants to re-start the topic they do it in the right forum.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Crystalina
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (4littleladies @ Aug 28 2007, 01:45 PM)
I might be wrong but I think something like this was suggested in the past and was vetoed because where you have debates, you have frustrations and hurt feelings and everything else that comes along with that-

Yes, but I don't see how we are stopping that the way things are going now. kwim? The hurt feelings are still there and it's making it ugly in GD where newbies, I'm sure ,gravitate. If it gets ugly in a debate forum it's almost expected and does not really reflect onto the rest of the board. The mods will just have to make sure that the discussions stay put.

I, personally, don't take things to heart but it's obvious that others are passionate about certain topics.

This post has been edited by Crystalina on Aug 28 2007, 01:50 PM

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
5littleladies
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Crystalina @ Aug 28 2007, 03:49 PM)
Yes, but I don't see how we are stopping that the way things are going now. kwim?

I totally agree-I just wish we could avoid the dumb things altogether. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I am open to entertaining the idea of a hot topics forum or debate forum, but I really don't think it will solve anything. If someone has problems following the rules in a general discussion forum, I think they would have even more trouble following the same rules in a forum that is meant for debate.

But, like I said, I am open to the idea and trying new ideas. Let me discuss it with TLCDad.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

At least if it were in a locked forum it would be out of the public eye. Not all hot topics are are un-parenting related, we can fight about parenting techniques too, anyone want to talk about cloth diapering or breast feedeng? rolleyes.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by PrairieMom on Aug 28 2007, 02:20 PM
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 28 2007, 04:04 PM)
Not all hot topics are are un-parenting related, we can fight about parenting techniques too, anyone want to talk about cloth diapering or breast feedeng? rolleyes.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

ROFL rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Insanemomof3
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 28 2007, 02:04 PM)
At least if it were in a locked forum it would be out of the public eye. Not all hot topics are are un-parenting related, we can fight about parenting techniques too, anyone want to talk about cloth diapering or breast feedeng? rolleyes.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

LOL I have seen LOTS of debates on those topics in the 4 years I have been on here. emlaugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0141 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]