Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> DayCare, question
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,193

I am researching daycare centers for when I go back to school. There is one place so far that I feel 110% ok with leaving Maddie at but there is a waiting list which doesn't have openings til April.

I only need about 15-20 hours a week - From like 1-4 or 1-5 M-F. This place I like charges $4.90/hr which I think is good? But I haven't had any other price comparisons.

I still need to research places - What are some things to look for and what are some things I need to stay away from?

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
Momof3inMe
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,022

Are you looking into a center or a home daycare? I dont really like big centers for infants I feel they dont get enough 1 on 1 time like they would in a home daycare. Make sure you look for a nice clean changing area. I would also ask if they have a hand book that you can read. I would also make sure you visit when they are open so you can see how they deal with other children.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (MyBabeMaddie @ Jan 25 2007, 08:18 AM)
I am researching daycare centers for when I go back to school.  There is one place so far that I feel 110% ok with leaving Maddie at but there is a waiting list which doesn't have openings til April. 

I only need about 15-20 hours a week - From like 1-4 or 1-5 M-F.  This place I like charges $4.90/hr which I think is good?  But I haven't had any other price comparisons. 

I still need to research places - What are some things to look for and what are some things I need to stay away from?

*cleaniness (does it look clean, how often do they clean toys, etc.?)
*structure/daily schedules
*is the place inviting when you walk in?
*education of the teachers AND director/owner (a good/bad director makes or breaks the center!!!)
*ratios (they should NEVER go over, in fact, some will stay under for the benefit of the children)
*what do they provide?
*what do you provide?
*are you greeted when you drop off your child?
*is the child greeted?
*do other parents look happy?
*how are conflicts handled?
*communication with parents (through teachers, newsletters, etc.)
*how long have the teachers been there? the last thing you want is to see a new teacher with your child every month
*observe how the teachers relate and talk to the kids
*do they have a parent handbook? READ ALL THE POLICIES!
*how often are cots/cribs cleaned?

Just a suggestion...once Maddie is older, like a year old, I would suggest taking her earlier if you can afford to. Once they get older they will be taking naps in the afternoon (usually that's part of the daily schedule) and if she sticks to those hours, she'll only be there for nap which may make it hard for her to adjust. Just a suggestion. smile.gif

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I will think of more and get back to you.

I agree about the home vs. group daycare settings. But that's just my personal opinion. I have managed both types and both have their pros and cons. If you go check out any home daycares, do not be afraid to ask for references! I have mine always handy of past and current clients.

ETA: the price you were quoted seems reasonable and common. I'd still check to make sure it's comparable to your area though. But even so, more expensive doesn't mean better and less expensive doesn't nec. mean less quality either. Go with your gut feeling and don't be afraid to ask too many questions.

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Jan 25 2007, 11:50 AM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

One thing I wanted to add: My nephew's daycare has a web cam set up so anytime my sister wants she can log on and see what they are doing. I know not all of these places have them, but they might be something to look into it. Honestly if I were about to enroll Bella in a daycare I'd start asking questions at the roots... other parents. I doubt they'll sugar coat anything. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Jan 29 2007, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

This subject i know all too well! I havent read the other responses so im sorry if i repeat...

Ask about what the qualifications are of the workers and ask to see them. because they can say one thing but it could be the opposite. If they refuse to show you then walk out. Because by law they have to have it posted where everyone can see. make sure they have firstaid. I know nto all have to have first aid but some do.

ask to see thier menu planning, ask where they sleep, they shoudl have beds, matts and cribs for everyone. see where they eat.. meaning high chirs, boosters or table and chairs. ask to see a sample of how the day is planned..including outdoor and indoor activities. Make sure they have a fenced play area. and ask how many workers per child go out with them and thier system on how they know they all come ina nd not forgotten outside.

do surprise drop ins if you can. if you are off of school early dont tell them just go and pick them up. Thats how i came to see alot of thingfs i was not happy with...
For example... i came early to grab jenna one day and they were outside. i was coming out just as i heard the worker yell at jenna because she was crying. i told the worker she was afraid of the sand( she was 1) and to not force her on it. well when i saw she was sitting in the sand scared because kids were putting sand on her and the woker yelled shut up to jenna. my sister did drop in for me one time and what she saw made me yank jenna out with no warning! so just do those if you can.

Its hard to find good childcare so just ask alot of questions!!!!!

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 29 2007, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I agree with what jennie wrote, except I always asked if there was going to be a certified person in CPR and first aid in the building at all times.
I was amazed to find out that it is not something required...but to me thats an extremely important fact.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jan 29 2007, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (calebsmom @ Jan 29 2007, 10:51 AM)
I agree with what jennie wrote, except I always asked if there was going to be a certified person in CPR and first aid in the building at all times.
I was amazed to find out that it is not something required...but to me thats an extremely important fact.

I am too. There are a lot of states and areas that don't require it. WI just recently implemented this rule for anyone working with children, which I think is good.

Just a few side notes...in WI, and possibly other states, it is not mandatory for the workers to display their qualifications. However, if the center is sited for having teachers who do not meet the qualifications, those violations have to be posted. You can still ask about the qualifications though of each teacher. It all depends on what your state/country requires. You can request to view their licensing manual if you'd like as well. If you want your own copy, contact your local health and human services department.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0117 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]